• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
"Killer Typhoon" (Haiyan) on PBS Nova tonight

Josh will not be happy.  Footage of him and people on mattresses identified as patients being rescued from the first floor of the hospital.

The used at least one of 'The Three Musketeers' video shots from the hotel in other scenes, earlier, but Josh makes the NOVA as a hospital nurse helping patients.

It was pretty good, Nova takes on new big disaster's that happen and do alright so that's cool in my eyes. I never saw the storm surge footage where it rushes in like a tsunami with incredible force...that was sick. They focused a bit too much on the storm surge even though that did a lot of carnage and kept saying how they didn't see it coming...

I didn't like how the program started dragging on near the end which happens in these things. I wanted them to talk about the area that got the absolute highest winds closer to the western coast (Guiuan region) and what insane effects were dealt on them but nothing  :facepalm: . No mention of concrete structures destroyed in a tropical cyclone? Predictable but disappointing. Anything that is hard to cover gets pushed aside and they focus on easy stuff to talk about that's been covered countless times previously. I rate it 8.0/10.

Is this the first Nova program that Josh has been in? I think it is.

Josh will not be happy.  Footage of him and people on mattresses identified as patients being rescued from the first floor of the hospital.

The used at least one of 'The Three Musketeers' video shots from the hotel in other scenes, earlier, but Josh makes the NOVA as a hospital nurse helping patients.

:mellow: Didn't even catch that...crazy. Too bad its golden. 

Carlito, the man whose house collapsed, and who laid on his wife and 5 or 8 children in a field until the storm surge hit, and then one child held on until a wave washed them away.  Watch that if you are a father and not cry.  His entire family died, he wrapped them in canvas and buried them in a single grave.

The man is absolutely dirt poor, but has a wooden frame built with rebar in it over the common grave, he will pour concrete when he can, he has no family anymore, and is determined his wife and children will know he loved them based on the tomb he will build for them.

From what I saw of it, it was a pretty good documentary, I thought.  I thought the quality was there.

I was disappointed that they misidentified the shots from our hotel as being in a hospital, and me as hospital staff.  I just expect Nova to be better about factual precision.  I wrote to them to point out the error, and they responded by saying they'll just remove those shots from the show.  That seems a shame to me-- they're great shots and they're part of the story-- but they decided that was easiest, since the voiceover during the shots implies a connection with the hospital.  Oh, well.

KEWL!!  Can't wait to see!!!

--Turtle

P.S.  Hope to see YOU this summer, too!!! ;)

Oh, you will.  Randy's gonna make an announcement real soon. :)

Can't wait to see ya, babe.  :wub:  I hope your husband can come, too, because I think my presentation will be really interesting to him, given how much he digs hardcore hurricane chasing.

Oh, you will.  Randy's gonna make an announcement real soon. :)

Can't wait to see ya, babe.   :wub:  I hope your husband can come, too, because I think my presentation will be really interesting to him, given how much he digs hardcore hurricane chasing.

We'll see...  I'm just excited that there may be another G2G!   :thumbsup:    :wub:

Archived