Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
January 27th/28th Clipper Model Thread

odwalla

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We might get some flakes/coating, but the track of the low is clearly going north of us...look at the PV (it is temporarily retreating NE) which allows this to track well north. 

If anything the chance is a day or two after this with the left over energy.

And the system earlier this week was CLEARLY going out to sea. 

This trended South today on both the NAM and GFS.  I'm not saying it's anything big.  But saying it hasn't trended South would be incorrect.

Monday's system was predicated on the PV being further west. As soon as the models latched onto the idea of it retreating northeast it allowed the low for Monday to track to our north. The system for the middle of next week is being overlooked and should be watched. Should the PV end up a bit further west than modeled it will give the energy a bit more room to amplify and come up the coast. As it stands right now, it's a close miss.

Monday's system was predicated on the PV being further west. As soon as the models latched onto the idea of it retreating northeast it allowed the low for Monday to track to our north. The system for the middle of next week is being overlooked and should be watched. Should the PV end up a bit further west than modeled it will give the energy a bit more room to amplify and come up the coast. As it stands right now, it's a close miss.

Yeah.  The look on the GFS at 144 is tantalyzing...

If that energy continues digging further south, we might see redevelopment near the gulf region with this. 

You have a southern stream vort moving across the deep south over the weekend that gets sheared out by the northern stream. A piece of the PV eventually phases in with the northern stream and we get development offshore. Perhaps we could have ended up with a triple phaser if that southern stream vort was stronger.

You have a southern stream vort moving across the deep south over the weekend that gets sheared out by the northern stream. A piece of the PV eventually phases in with the northern stream and we get development offshore. Perhaps we could have ended up with a triple phaser if that southern stream vort was stronger.

I don't know about triple phaser but there's a lot going on. There's an energetic shortwave diving down, an elongating and retreating PV, you have some energy down to the gulf states. Finally you have all that energy offshore on the gfs, and I really see something coming together as we get closer. The cold air will be here for a long time, and it's really a ticking time bomb for a major storm. 

The NAO will also be quite positive, which makes any major suppression or cold and dry pattern suspect in my opinion. 

I have an eerie feeling between 1/28 and 2/1 we have a PV complete phase in with a southern stream impulse for a Miller B HECS, NESIS 4+ event.  Something that could potentially bring 18-24 inches of snow to the NYC and LI area with 50 knot winds.  Severe blizzard event.  I am riding this out until I am proven wrong.  I just have an extra sense feeling we will have 40-50 inch snow depths, drifts to ten + feet and temps below zero for a once in generation event to close out January for our immediate area.  Pattern has the earmarks for something very special and extreme. Looks like the only way it will break or snap back to normal cold.  Please consider the possibility being not impossible.  Let's critique this post when the dust settles and revisit.

shouldnt this be in the banter thread?

Check out the 18Z NAM and all the southern precip at hr. 84  - have to wait for the 18Z GFS run and see if it has it. Did the 12Z EURO have it ?

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/namconus/2014012318/namconus_reflectivity_us_27.png

The 18z NAM was day and night more amplified with the trough at the end of its run, but it's the long range NAM and has a bias of being too amplified in that range.

This 'clipper' thread/threat should be shut down. Its going through Canada with no affect here....There is possible for something after but its a completely a different storm. 

yea,,that clipper is toast. I had some damn hope for that little thing just a couple days ago. at least there's some hope further down the road

Archived