northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
1/21 clipper/coastal

Zelocita Weather

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I will praise the day when people stop posting TV mets forecasts in a discussion thread. Completely irrelevant and useless information.

Useless as far as forecasting, but interesting as to what information the general public is receiving, in contrast to the trends us "smarts" are seeing. ;)

The 00z GFS has to be one of the coldest runs inside 192 hours for NYC, ever. It's insane!!! If anything close to that verifies, lows could be flirting with single digits for much of the next week, and we could actually get below zero if snowcover is present. The cold before truncation is extremely impressive, and we have a real snowpack to boot...

Don Sutherland's stats had indicated a snowy season was likely after December's data came in, and it looks like this will just be one of those winters where snow/cold tend to prevail, with snow threats seemingly appearing out of nowhere. We may have to wait for (another) KU, but even this upcoming storm could deliver 6"+ to a wide area, perfectly timed with the upcoming cold shot. 

That should translate into this upcoming cold shot... which may be much more severe than the previous one, where we had no snow. I really think NYC could drop below zero. 

i dont watch any, no need to when i and all of u get all the same info they do

Me too, since I look at models on the internet now. But it was different when I was a kid growing up. Then I would have to rely on a really good forecaster. Sometimes Nick Gregory would actually be out of breath on air, from running so he would have info from the very latest computer model before going on air. I really appreciated that kind of dedication. That's why I just wanted to make the point that not all on air mets just give you old information.

Ok, so if everything goes right, WSW for NYC/LI, the second blizzard warning for Long Island this month?

Can KNYC break the +4 low of earlier this month or the daytime high of +9?

I was just about say that, looks like another 9-12 inch event for LI with blizzard watch possibly issued in fifteen hours a possibility.  I think we will have to wait another 10 plus years for another period as good as the next 10-15 days coming up.  NYC has a -2 F in the next ten days for a low and a +8 F degree high.  My guess.  I think we stay moderately to severely cold wire to wire through mid March and then go straight to markedly warm alternating w/ backdoor misery as the -EPO snaps to neutral to positive in 8-12 weeks.  Developing weak El Nino w/ Greenland blocking gives a miserable drizzly spring to the NE coastline.

I am not seeing tightly packed isotherms to indicate the winds would meet blizzard criteria!

Blizzard Warning Issued for winter storms with sustained or frequent winds of 35 mph or higher with considerable falling and/or blowing snow that frequently reduces visibility to 1/4 of a mile or less. These conditions are expected to prevail for a minimum of 3 hours

I am not seeing tightly packed isotherms to indicate the winds would meet blizzard criteria!

Blizzard Warning Issued for winter storms with sustained or frequent winds of 35 mph or higher with considerable falling and/or blowing snow that frequently reduces visibility to 1/4 of a mile or less. These conditions are expected to prevail for a minimum of 3 hours

That may so, but near blizzard conditions are possibly.

Near a foot for eastern Nassau and Suffolk is looking very real now. 70 percent chance, per my look at the latest models.  A repeat of the 1/3 storm it seems, with double digit snow totals.

Archived