joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
1/6-1/7 Cold Obs Thread

Rib

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

AM Low here in NW Chesco 1.6 below zero - breaks old record of 1.0 from 1981. Coldest in this location since I have lived here and only the 2nd below zero temperature. Coldest low in Chesco since 2/6/1996 when it hit 6 below zero. Also of note it is difficult to average out with a below average day in early January with a high of 55.5....but we pulled that off yesterday with an 11:59pm low of 6.8 we averaged out at -0.1 for the day.The 57.0 degree temperature change from 630am from the 6th to 7th - very impressive!

Not in our area, but Central Park set a record low this morning (5, breaking the old record of 6 from 1896).  First record low there since January 2004 (1).

Yeah, you read that right.  Not the first record low in January since 2004.  The first record low EVER (in ANY month) since 2004.

Wow

Ray, can you easily figure out how many record highs Central Park has had during that timeframe?

are highes predicted at midnight?

I figure my 8.7 at midnight this morning will be it for today.   Can't see it being that warm tonight.

I think we get some radiational tonight to replace the advection we had last night to keep temps lower.

Low this morning in NW Chesco - 0.9 currently 4.9.    Expecting to get back near zero this evening with

marginal snow cover and light winds.

are highes predicted at midnight?

I think most places will see their highs end up being their readings this past morning at midnight.  Temps will likely be fairly steady (Tony said this too) through tonight.  Some places that still have snow and decouple well might radiate.

looks like a sunday 

another coldest day 1/20/85 High 10F Low -10F also a sunday

snow on the ground for both those cold days

The colder day was actually MON 1/21/85, historic Reagan Inauguration arctic outbreak, 8 / -6 at PHL

I was vacationing at Emerald Lakes in the Poconos for the Super Bowl & had to be -20 up there, coldest I ever experienced in PA

The colder day was actually MON 1/21/85, historic Reagan Inauguration arctic outbreak, 8 / -6 at PHL

I was vacationing at Emerald Lakes in the Poconos for the Super Bowl & had to be -20 up there, coldest I ever experienced in PA

That was the only day I can recall ever getting off of school because of the cold (my low temp was -13 and the high was 5 above).

Don't think I get out of the single digits today after recording a high temp of 8 at midnight.

Archived