joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
1/6-1/7 Cold Obs Thread

Rib

looks like a sunday 

another coldest day 1/20/85 High 10F Low -10F also a sunday

snow on the ground for both those cold days

1/20/84 was another cold, mid-80s weekend day:  High of 13 F and low of -3 F at PHL.  I don't have hourly records, but, if memory serves, temperatures were predicted to start rising that evening before midnight.  Instead, thanks to nice snowcover and good radiational cooling conditions, they kept plummeting until well after midnight eventually getting down to -7 F early on 1/21/84 before the rise started.

To this day, I feel bad about something I did that day.  I forget the exact details, but I am pretty sure some friends and I were sledding during the day.  As soon as dusk approached (and it REALLY started getting cold), most of my friends headed home to get out of the cold, but me and another guy decided to walk to a local pizza place for dinner (we were teenagers and even frostbite was more appealing than being home).  My house was a bit closer to the pizza place so we walked back to my place afterwards, and, after a few hours of watching TV (and thawing out), my friend realized it was almost midnight and he had to get home.  He asked if I would drive him (while I had no car, I did have my license and could always borrow the family car for something like this.... and my dad would have insisted upon it if he realized my friend would be walking in that weather).  The thought of going back out in that cold... even in a car... was just too much to bear so I said I couldn't do it and my friend ended up walking home probably over a mile in -3 F temperatures.  I have been apologizing to this friend ever since... and I am pretty sure that he might actually forgive me one of these decades.  

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1/20/84 was another cold, mid-80s weekend day:  High of 13 F and low of -3 F at PHL.  I don't have hourly records, but, if memory serves, temperatures were predicted to start rising that evening before midnight.  Instead, thanks to nice snowcover and good radiational cooling conditions, they kept plummeting until well after midnight eventually getting down to -7 F early on 1/21/84 before the rise started.

1/20/1984 hourly obs

http://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/KPHL/1984/1/20/DailyHistory.html?req_city=NA&req_state=NA&req_statename=NA&theprefset=SHOWMETAR&theprefvalue=1

When the high/low there didn't match just now, I double checked... it was 1/21/1984 which was 13/-3, and 1/22/1984 was the day it fell to -7

To this day, I feel bad about something I did that day.  I forget the exact details, but I am pretty sure some friends and I were sledding during the day.  As soon as dusk approached (and it REALLY started getting cold), most of my friends headed home to get out of the cold, but me and another guy decided to walk to a local pizza place for dinner (we were teenagers and even frostbite was more appealing than being home).  My house was a bit closer to the pizza place so we walked back to my place afterwards, and, after a few hours of watching TV (and thawing out), my friend realized it was almost midnight and he had to get home.  He asked if I would drive him (while I had no car, I did have my license and could always borrow the family car for something like this.... and my dad would have insisted upon it if he realized my friend would be walking in that weather).  The thought of going back out in that cold... even in a car... was just too much to bear so I said I couldn't do it and my friend ended up walking home probably over a mile in -3 F temperatures.  I have been apologizing to this friend ever since... and I am pretty sure that he might actually forgive me one of these decades.  

Not all bad he got to take his first vodka cold jebwalk

Checking my old logs i kept from 1980 to 1985 that was the longest cold streak of my lifetime. Started in fine style with a 6.5" snow on 1/18/04 then from 1/19 recorded lows of -1, -1, -10 and 0 and the coldest high was 1/21 13F. One of the great periods of winter weather in the decade that did not have many

currently 6F

Today's High 8F

Archived