• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Was that last storm a low grade K/U or no?

Zelocita Weather

This storm was a high end SECS, no KU here, but it did have a significant areal impact of 6 - 10 which may place it as a very low end KU, at least technically once the numbers are crunched. I doubt it will make the top 50.

Its not whether it was KU here or not it was does the storm make the list as a whole. I believe since its NESIS they don't take the Midwest portion into consideration.

Guest Pamela

KU worthy...but the absolute weakest category which is Level One...similar to March 2009 which they gave the same designation.

Guest Pamela

I expect Kocin iwll rate it a "near miss" in his book, similar to December 25-26, 1969 or February 19-20, 1972.

19 towns in Massachusetts reported 15 inches of snow or more...with a maximum of 23.8 inches at Boxford.  So it was not just an 8 to 12 inch storm.

Also it was a moderate impact event in Philadelphia & NYC and a moderate to low end high event in Boston.

Guest Pamela

I expect Kocin iwll rate it a "near miss" in his book, similar to December 25-26, 1969 or February 19-20, 1972.

The December 25-26 storm was a Montreal / Vermont event and a freezing rain event east of the Green Mountains...it did produce a quick 6 inches in NYC.

The December 25-26 storm was a Montreal / Vermont event and a freezing rain event east of the Green Mountains...it did produce a quick 6 inches in NYC.

The Kocin study rated it a "near miss." After the quick 6" there was a short rain and ZR interval and then a change back to snow which gave us about 6" in Westchester when the storm retrograded. I assume KNYC got a slight amount, though not much, less.

Guest Pamela

19 towns in Massachusetts reported 15 inches of snow or more...with a maximum of 23.8 inches at Boxford.  So it was not just an 8 to 12 inch storm.

Also it was a moderate impact event in Philadelphia & NYC and a moderate to low end high event in Boston.

Agreed.  The intensity and totals are more moderate category than a true KU.

The cold temperatures were a unique factor, but that doesn't really factor into the KU determination.

KU worthy...but the absolute weakest category which is Level One...similar to March 2009 which they gave the same designation.

I'm not sure if you considered my posts when you reached your conclusion; if you did and still feel the same way, my apologies.

Whether or not this storm is labeled a KU storm or not is less significant than whether or not I will remember it 20 years from now.  I cannot even  remember details of some of the storms of the 2000's and only several years have passed.  I can remember vividly Xmas Eve 1966, Feb69, Jan78, Feb78 ,Feb 83, Jan 96, Feb 2003 and Feb 2013. This one will stand out for its' historical value, which is heavy snow falling at 11F. It may be decades before that happens again and for me (55yrs. old) I may never see that again.   So while this may not even be a minimal KU event it will certainly be memorable.

Whether or not this storm is labeled a KU storm or not is less significant than whether or not I will remember it 20 years from now.  I cannot even  remember details of some of the storms of the 2000's and only several years have passed.  I can remember vividly Xmas Eve 1966, Feb69, Jan78, Feb78 ,Feb 83, Jan 96, Feb 2003 and Feb 2013. This one will stand out for its' historical value, which is heavy snow falling at 11F. It may be decades before that happens again and for me (55yrs. old) I may never see that again.   So while this may not even be a minimal KU event it will certainly be memorable.

Sandwiched in between Jan 78 and Feb 78 was a huge rainstorm with high winds…….I would add boxing day 2010

The ones I find memorable, personally were:

1. March 3, 1960 (great pictures of me as redheaded almost 3 year old building snowman);
  2. February 7, 1967;
  3. December 13, 1968 (6" accumulation after a change from rain to snow);
  4. February 9, 1969;
  5. December 25-26, 1969 (was supposed to ski December 26 but first wind-whipped snow and then the rain ruined that, but skied December 27);
  6. Easter 1970 (had plans on playing outdoor tennis after beautiful spring day one day earlier);
  7. January 1, 1971;
  8. February 20, 1972 (flight into JFK delayed but storm was slop and glop);
  9. December 1973 (DCA got all snow, my area had 4" accumulated ice, could use ice skates on back yard);
  10. February 1974 (forecast it at high school weather station before media picked it up);
  11. February 10, 1975 (only good snow of awful winter);
  12. Missed 1978 storms and PD I while at Cornell);
  13. Boston December 1981 surprise storm;
  14. April 6, 1982 (visiting home for Passover and job hunting, shoveled 10" of powdery fluff in April, and thundersnow. One of my favorites);
  15. February 9, 1983 (magical dusting set stage for my admission to New York Bar);
  16. February 11-12, 1983 (watched snow crawl its way north from Verazanno to mid-town, early close, 23" of thundersnow);
  17. January 1987 (made client come in for trial, his next door neighbor and other party "couldn't make it" because of 30" of snow in mid-Jersey, I won trial by default since my client was there);
  18. December 26, 1990 (went ahead with Court hearing with similar result);
  19. January 1996 (who could possibly forget?);
  20. March 8, 1996 (watched it bombing snow as I watched my wife giving birth to older son by Caesarian);
  21. December 30, 2000 (cleared driveway with then 3 year old son);
  22. December 25, 2002 (15 minute drive home from Holiday celebration took over an hour, G-d's punishment for celebrating out-of-religion holiday);
  23. PD II, February 2003 (who could forget? and went to Court next day, all lawyers in Court in Appellate Division in snowboots);
  24. February 2006 (record for KNYC, who could forget? Went cross-country skiing during height of storm);
  25. March 2, 2009 (truck backed into my car);
  26. February 25-26, 2010 (snowicane, who could forget?);
  27. December 26, 2010 "Boxing Day"; (probably my favorite storm, dispelled canard that blizzards and La Niña don't go together, along with two January 2011 storms); and
  28. October 29, 2011 (October blizzard);
  29. November 7, 2012 (my first "jeb-walk");
  30. January 3, 2014 (second day on new and hopefully better job, major cold snow event).

Maybe I got a bit carried away there. But storms are memorable and special.

Archived