SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
18z Runs 1/2/14

Allsnow

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its funny on every thread when I see.. "Its Wetter" and then "0.50" for everyone. 

Huh? Wetter..? its been showing that for days already..

Its a bit wetter overall including those south and west of NYC/coastal areas towards Middlesex/Monmouth etc,

Someone from ACY towards Belmar in coastal NJ will do very well according to a majority of the latest guidance.  As we have seen the heavy snow is not far just offshore. A tweak here or there and we got it made.  Still will be nice. 

Heavier, longer lasting snow I guess focused on southern nj possibly ? Funny how that often happens....southern and central nj ends up usually getting better banding lately. Last night, the focus of it was up through NNJ and NYC into the NW suburbs...appears to have all shifted south and east, but maybe there's a few surprises in store.

nam_namer_024_precip_ptot.gif

The inverted trough signal is getting stronger on these runs and the latest Nam is an improvement. I wish we could do a QPF comparison between the last two runs of the Nam. 

That trough is further north on other models so that is still something we have to iron out

Steve D :

Interesting mesoscale model data has been coming in about tomorrow morning. There are strong indications from various models that a deformation zone will set up right over NJ tomorrow morning at 7-9 AM. This feature would extend the storm past 8 AM if this happens and enhance snowfall totals.

The focus on the band appears to be for NJ, but I suspect moving forward, south side of LI in the game too.

Someone from ACY towards Belmar in coastal NJ will do very well according to a majority of the latest guidance.  As we have seen the heavy snow is not far just offshore. A tweak here or there and we got it made.  Still will be nice. 

I'll be leaving northern Atlantic County around 10 pm tonite to plow on the Ocean/Monmouth border so I hope you are right.  Temps here in Northern Atlantic County never got above 35 F. today, 6 deg. below guidance.

Anyone have a working link to 18Z HRRR?  http://ruc.noaa.gov/hrrr/Status.cgi shows 15Z ran but not 16Z and 17Z.  It shows 18Z is complete, but direct link says 15Z last available run...

http://rapidrefresh.noaa.gov/HRRR/Welcome.cgi?dsKey=hrrr_jet&domain=t3&run_time=02+Jan+2014+-+18Z

Lol. I know right! Just saw one post about the dry slot lol in obs thread. Had to be one lol

Yeah I posted that , there is a ridiculous dry slot and I don't see how it gets filled in I know models predicted it and with all the model psycho babble common sense tells me that the systems aren't merging. I want the storm to happen as much as anyone else Im almost 40 and lived through many storms. This storm is going to be hard to pull off that all I'm saying.

Hopefully the gfs follows the Nam with its improvements as that seems to be the theme as the storm evolves although I assume this is the time to pay even closer attention to the short term mesoscale models.

Actually, the 12Z GFS has a solid 9-10" of snow area wide. The 18Z NAM is similar and the ECMWF is pretty close to the GFS, in terms of snowfall. I think a consensus is nearly reached, unless if the short range models pick up on something significant with the IVD (Inverted Trough).

Actually, the 12Z GFS has a solid 9-10" of snow area wide. The 18Z NAM is similar and the ECMWF is pretty close to the GFS, in terms of snowfall. I think a consensus is nearly reached. 

Yep the only thing left to focus on is where the trough sets up

4k sets it up about 25 miles south of nyc

Archived