Newest Member
    joxey
1/2/14-1/3/14 SnowStorm Observations

anthonyweather

• Replies 538
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Current (19Z) mesoanalysis shows the following layers:

Surface 0C line: has sunken south to just south of the MD/PA border then continuing eastward through Salem, NJ then eastward and turning northeastward exiting around Belmar, NJ.

925mb 0C line: has sunken south to DCA through the Kent/Sussex County, DE border then through Western Cape May County, NJ, then NNE through Long Beach Island, NJ

850mb 0C line: stayed about the same--Cecil County, MD through New Castle County, DE then ENE through LBI.

Wife now reporting very fine snow flakes falling in Marlboro, NJ Monmouth County.

Classic case of cloud seeding? The forecast profiles did indicate that potential for N / E NJ before the main shield arrives.

Wow very interesting. Started out as a freezing mist earlier today and now this.  

The NAM seemed to do better with the low-level moisture than the GFS from yesterday, but I have nothing

quantitative/official here on that. I'm interested to see if you can confirm actual snowflakes. You certainly won't make them at low-levels and it is quite dry in the mid-levels. It gets moist again in the upper-levels. You could be seeding there which is pretty neat!

The NAM seemed to do better with the low-level moisture than the GFS from yesterday, but I have nothing

quantitative/official here on that. I'm interested to see if you can confirm actual snowflakes. You certainly won't make them at low-levels and it is quite dry in the mid-levels. It gets moist again in the upper-levels. You could be seeding there which is pretty neat!

Yeah wish I was home to verify for myself. I just called my wife again but she is busy with my younger son at school and couldn't check for me right now. ha ha ha But she did tell me a short while ago that they were clearly very fine snowflakes.  

Got an hour commute from here in central NJ back to Qtown.  Thinking about leaving early.  ETA in Qtown?

Looking again at the radar it looks like minutes away (meaning 5 to 15). Andy could tell you. You should probably have left already if you have an hour and are trying to avoid rush hour in snow... :o

Archived