• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upcoming Events

Stovepipe

And from Memphis this evening...though the part in bold was interesting.

TONIGHT THROUGH SUNDAY...

SFC HIGH MOVES EAST FURTHER TO THE ATLANTIC COASTLINE BY SATURDAY
AFTN...ALLOWING FOR INCREASING SOUTHERLY WINDS UNDER MAINLY CLEAR
SKIES. TEMPS WILL REBOUND TOMORROW SOME...BUT STILL REMAIN BELOW
NORMAL IN THE 40S FOR MUCH OF THE REGION. INCREASING CLOUDS WILL
BE FOUND DURING THE EVENING...WITH THE FIRST OF ANY MOISTURE
REACHING THE REGION CLOSE TO EARLY SUNDAY MORNING AS THE ARCTIC
FRONT GETS SWEPT EAST WITH THE STRONG UPPER LEVEL TROUGH. COLD AIR
WILL SPREAD QUICKLY ACROSS THE MIDSOUTH SUNDAY AND ALLOW FOR
TRANSITION FROM RAIN TO SNOW AS DEEP COLDER AIR IMPACTS THE
REGION. FLASH FREEZING OF ROADWAYS MAY BECOME A MAJOR CONCERN
ALONG WITH SNOW FALLING ONTO ICY ROADWAYS SUNDAY LATE MORNING
EARLY AFTERNOON FOR MUCH OF THE REGION. WITH SUCH A STRONG
FRONT...AND RAPID COLD AIR ADVECTION IT WILL HELP SQUEEZE OUT
MOISTURE ALONG WITH GOOD JET DYNAMICS AND NICE MID LEVEL DIFFLUENT
FLOW. HOW FAST THE DEEPER COLD AIR MOVES IN WILL MEAN EVERYTHING
SUNDAY...IF IT MOVES FASTER ALONG FOR DENDRITE SNOW GROWTH FASTER
THEN AMOUNTS MAY BE HIGHER...IF NOT AND MOISTURE MOVES FASTER OUT
THEN SMALLER AMOUNTS. THAT IS THE ONLY QUESTION...IT IS GOING TO
GET REALLY COLD...THERE IS NO DOUBT HERE! AND WITH SNOWPACK TO
NORTH THE AIR WILL NOT MODIFY REALLY MUCH AT ALL. PLUME MODELS
SHOWING RANGE OF LESS THAN 1 TO 6 INCHES AT MEMPHIS WITH AVG NEAR
2 INCHES.

• Replies 649
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder if we can continue to trend being so close to the event? I mean, that low is WAY down there on the 18z gfs and the evolution was a little quirky to me, hanging out in northern Louisiana beetween hours 39 to 45.... and then rocketing NE.

I'm wondering about that too.  It seems like once the energy was sampled properly, we've seen a slight shift in the track.  0z runs will interesting.

Tri gets snow shadowed I guess, it's showing 2.5 with Cobb. Seems unlikely but I guess it's happened like that before.

It happens just about everytime for us around Kingsport in these types of events. Hopefully this will be stronger to overcome it. Just barely got a dusting while you 3 yesterday just as an example.

Now, a frontal passage is slightly different for Kingsport. If the flow is out of the northwest like last night, nine out of ten times we strike out. With a strong frontal passage, the front may move east to west...but the flow is from the southeast. I just think this thing is so cold, it will be tough to forecast. For sure though, there is a lack of snow over this portion of TRI. Now, Bristol and JC do much better. I will roll with 1-2". If Knoxville switches quickly, I think things here go well. They are the canary in the proverbial mine, also BNA. Memphis looks like they may do well unless this continues its SE trend w/ precip.

Hey, what is that polar bear supposed to symbolize!?

Agree snow shadows should overcome Sunday and Monday, from the above TRI discussion to Chattanooga. I was (pleasantly) shocked to see a dusting in Chatty Thursday night. This front is stronger; more moisture hangs back in the cold air; dendrite zone will be as MRX describes; and, that difluent flow lingers aloft. Cyclonic flow will remain behind the front longer, compared to the quick clearing Thursday night. 

I like the low end of NWS discussions at the moment. Wild cards include timing of CAA per NWS discussions and liquid ratios. Dusting to half inch Chatty, 1-2 surrounding mountains; 1-3 from MEM to BNA to Knox, higher maybe 4 Upper Plateau; 2-4 northeast/TRI, local variation noted above; and, hammer time in the Smokies! Kentucky should do well. I'd also look for (lighter) sticking snow from far northern Mississippi through North Alabama into North Georgia. Cheers!

Now, a frontal passage is slightly different for Kingsport. If the flow is out of the northwest like last night, nine out of ten times we strike out. With a strong frontal passage, the front may move east to west...but the flow is from the southeast. I just think this thing is so cold, it will be tough to forecast. For sure though, there is a lack of snow over this portion of TRI. Now, Bristol and JC do much better. I will roll with 1-2". If Knoxville switches quickly, I think things here go well. They are the canary in the proverbial mine, also BNA. Memphis looks like they may do well unless this continues its SE trend w/ precip.

Hey, what is that polar bear supposed to symbolize!?

That's a good question haha about the polar bear. I just thought it was really funny. Maybe it symbolizes the way our last few winter have gone?!!!

Yeah your right that this type of setup is different. We should much better than yesterday. This reminds me a snow we had in early 2010 that dropped a quick 3 inches with an arctic front.

Agree snow shadows should overcome, from the above TRI discussion to Chattanooga. I was (pleasantly) shocked to see a dusting in Chatty Thursday night. This front is stronger; more moisture hangs back in the cold air; dendrite zone will be as MRX describes; and that difluent flow lingers aloft. Cyclonic flow will remain behind the front longer, compared to the quick clearing Thursday night. 

I like the low end of NWS discussions at the moment. Wild cards include timing of CAA per NWS discussions and liquid ratios. Dusting to half inch Chatty, 1-2 surrounding mountains; 1-3 from MEM to BNA to Knox, higher Upper Plateau; 2-4 northeast/TRI, local variation noted above; and, hammer time in the Smokies! Kentucky should do well. I'd also look for (lighter) sticking snow from far northern Mississippi through North Alabama into North Georgia. Cheers!

Thanks.BNA is been a sn drought the last 2 years.Even 2" would beat or be close to what we've had during that duration

Above 1,000 FT would be cold enough if that QPF verifies Friday, but I'm thinking only far northeast Tenn. East Kentucky and southwest Virginia would be cold enough Friday morning. Otherwise I think our friends out in Memphis and West Kentucky have the best chance of light ice Thursday morning. Little in the way of accumulation on trees, just a trace, and now plenty warm enough for chemical treatment on the ground. Just a few pretty icicles over Graceland. Enjoy!

If precip comes and the temps are around 32, I think icing will happen in some areas simply because the ground is so cold. It's frozen solid here and it only got up to 34 here today, briefly at that. It's already back down to 21. The rain, falling onto the frozen ice/snow covered ground will likely freeze on contact.

Local WFO are saying around 1" in the higher elevations and northern areas with more in the upslope favored areas.

The 06 GFS ramped up the moisture even more this morning. .10 to .25 falls, all with favorable snow profiles Tuesday night and Wednesday. Some areas even go into the .25 to .50 range on the qpf on the GFS. Especially SE KY/NE TN.

Archived