• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Upcoming Events

Stovepipe

Any idea what the NWS out of Nashville is looking at to say this as part of the morning discussion?

LONG RANGE GUIDANCE IS BEGINNING TO SUGGEST THAT THIS LONGWAVE

TROUGH AXIS THAT IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THESE CLIPPER SYSTEMS COULD BE

MOVING ON BY THE END OF NEXT WEEK...SO A PATTERN SHIFT MAY NOT BE

TOO FAR AWAY.

In about 8-10 days the trough shifts East and will cut off the clipper train. Tonight is #2 of about 5-7 that will be rolling through over the next 10 days. This is short lived though, at least according to the GFS. I'll continue this in the Pattern thread with some 500mb maps from the GFS.

• Replies 649
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cold shot in the 21-24 January time frame looking like a strong appetizer before the main course the following week. I'm not looking for much snow after the strong front Tuesday. However I fully expect nice cold lows in the teens. Next Fri/Sat overrunning precip type will be an issue, if it even happens. Looks like perhaps ice to rain if arctic air hangs tough. Temp profiles probably won't support snow. My precip thoughts are based on pattern recognition and persistence, not progs.

I'm more interested in the following week. Probability is increasing of matching the early January cold event. Will the Valley see single digit low temps? AK ridge sets up cross polar flow. Greenland height anomalies may help the polar pinch from the other side. NAO still shown positive, but I think that is a quirk due to an even stronger ridge over the central Atlantic. Also the Greenland situation may be a more temporary response to a 50/50 low which is still cold, just not as sustained. If the GFS is right about the polar pinch, we are looking at an arctic core dump blue screen freeze.

GFS and Euro both hint at a southern stream in late January. Normally I get concerned about anything in Calif with a downstream Southeast ridge, but not as much so this time. Eastern US still buried in cold when that sets up, iff Greenland forecast is right. We are way out in fantasy land, but it could be an opportunity for a quality winter storm. One looks for a system starting in Texas and tracking straight east through the Deep South. Any sign of a jog north before the Carolinas and game over for Tenn. Have a good weekend!

EDIT above about Greenland and 50/50 lows.

Last night was good for NW flow areas. I can squeeze out an inch or two when Mt LeConte does well. Last night I ended up with about 1.5 inches, LeConte had 6 inches. Hopefully tonight, the same flow sets up. The initial clipper moisture hasn't been doing much, even on this side of the Plateau. Jamestown had done pretty well with the initial pushes. Decent radar returns upstream right now but they'll likely start dying out a bit as they cross the Plateau. The NAM hi-res has the same snow shadow it had a couple weeks ago when the Lake City to Harriman area had no snow.

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MORRISTOWN TN

658 PM EST SAT JAN 18 2014

...ACCUMULATING SNOWFALL EXPECTED TONIGHT AND SUNDAY MORNING OVER

THE SOUTHERN APPALACHIAN REGION...

.THE LATEST IN A SERIES OF QUICK MOVING COLD FRONTS WILL ARRIVE

THIS EVENING...BRINGING ACCUMULATING SNOWFALL OF 2 TO 4 INCHES TO

THE HIGHER TERRAIN OF THE SOUTHERN APPALACHIANS. ADDITIONAL LIGHT

ACCUMULATIONS OF 1 TO 2 INCHES ARE EXPECTED ACROSS THE NORTHERN

CUMBERLAND PLATEAU...SOUTHWEST VIRGINIA AND NORTHEAST TENNESSEE. LIGHT

SNOW WILL ARRIVE FROM THE NORTHWEST AND SPREAD EASTWARD OVER THE

COURSE OF THE EVENING...WITH MOST OF THE ACCUMULATING SNOWFALL

OCCURRING AFTER MIDNIGHT. BY MID SUNDAY MORNING...THE SNOW SHOWERS

WILL TAPER OFF AS THE SYSTEM MOVES OFF TO THE EAST.

TNZ012>017-035-037>039-042-044-046-VAZ005-008-191500-

/O.EXB.KMRX.WW.Y.0004.140119T0000Z-140119T1500Z/

SCOTT TN-CAMPBELL-CLAIBORNE-HANCOCK-HAWKINS-SULLIVAN-MORGAN-UNION-

GRAINGER-HAMBLEN-NORTHWEST GREENE-WASHINGTON TN-NORTHWEST CARTER-

SCOTT-WASHINGTON-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...ONEIDA...LA FOLLETTE...TAZEWELL...

SNEEDVILLE...ROGERSVILLE...KINGSPORT...BRISTOL...WARTBURG...

MAYNARDVILLE...RUTLEDGE...MORRISTOWN...GREENEVILLE...

JOHNSON CITY...ELIZABETHTON...GATE CITY...ABINGDON

658 PM EST SAT JAN 18 2014

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT UNTIL 10 AM EST SUNDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN MORRISTOWN HAS ISSUED A WINTER

WEATHER ADVISORY FOR SNOW...WHICH IS IN EFFECT UNTIL 10 AM EST

SUNDAY.

* EVENT...LIGHT SNOW ACCUMULATIONS OF 1 TO 3 INCHES...WITH THE

HIGHER SNOWFALL OCCURRING IN ELEVATIONS ABOVE 2500 FEET.

* TIMING...LIGHT SNOW WILL BEGIN THIS EVENING...WITH SCATTERED

SNOW SHOWERS PRODUCING MOST OF THE EXPECTED ACCUMULATIONS

DEVELOPING AFTER MIDNIGHT.

* IMPACTS...DRIVING AND WALKING MAY BE DIFFICULT ON UNTREATED

ROADWAYS AND SIDEWALKS. BE PREPARED FOR SNOW COVERED ROADS AND

LIMITED VISIBILITIES. IF YOU MUST TRAVEL...SLOW DOWN AND ALLOW

EXTRA TIME TO REACH YOUR DESTINATION.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY FOR SNOW MEANS THAT PERIODS OF SNOW ARE

EXPECTED OR OCCURRING...BUT ACCUMULATIONS ARE EXPECTED TO BE

LIGHT.

Surprised that they included to northern valley.

I don"t ever post but lurk a lot and I am glad to see this new sub forum.

I am leery of falling for the hopes of a more robust clipper on Tuesday, but the NAM at 18z is fairly juicy for ne TN. I am just not optimistic, what are everyone else's thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not a fan of clippers this winter. 0" from them so far. Like the elongated look of the trough on the Euro with it spitting out energy along the GOM though...that is a change from previous runs. Now, back to the game!

MRX seems to be feeling pretty good for the MTNs, SWVA, and NE Tennessee. Not much for the rest of us though. JKL is waiting for another run of the models to issue winter products, but seems to think there could be some heavy snow at times across their CWA. They did mention how awful the models have been with these waves and of course, the dreaded dry air in place.

MRX has issued WWAs for the northeastern valley. It is warranted, especially since it happens partially during rush hour. Feels eerily similar to an event just this time frame last year...the one with thundersnow. It really is going to come down to whether this system can get its act together early enough. Could fizzle. But if it gets going should have high snow to water ratios. I would guess around one inch Morristown, 1-4 in Kingsport and JC, 2-4 in Bristol, 3-4 in Abingdon and points northeastward. Could easil be nothing, could easily be more. I am splitting the difference. Obviously, confidence is higher the further northeast you go. Latest GFS puts slightly more qpf in this region on its 18z run.

Is it realistic to think Knoxville has a chance of getting in on the action and will temps be an issue.  I am wondering if this will be a day of light snow that never accumulates due to marginal  temps.

Knox will be very lucky to get anything more than a short lived dusting IMO

Is it realistic to think Knoxville has a chance of getting in on the action and will temps be an issue.  I am wondering if this will be a day of light snow that never accumulates due to marginal  temps.

TRI is a close call.  Looks like the cut-off for accumulating snow is just south of there.  Again, really depends on where the low in the lee of the Apps sets up shop.  I would say no for Knoxville at this point.

This front will have a significant cold pool behind it. It will squeeze out all available moisture and possibly have some NW flow. Areas to the East will do much better with synoptic snow, but I could see Knoxville getting 1/2-1 inch in spots if you get a lucky band to set up. It might be a case like many this year where you drive through 5 mile swaths of 1/2-1 inch amounts and 5 mile swaths of nothing.

Temps shouldn't be a big issue for that part of the event. The temp will be falling into the 20s with the snow showers. The synoptic snow will possibly be mixed with rain to start out in some areas. Lower elevation in the far East may see that. 

As of now, temps have fallen into the 20s here. They may warm in advance of the system, the last few that have went through have featured a 4-6 degree warm-up for me right before they pass.

My forecast says the snow won't really begin til after 4-5 AM. So I could see it starting in the TRI probably two hours later. JKL did update and add the counties bordering me to the WWA. So that gives me a little extra hope. Though the models have been showing the TN/KY as a sharp cut-off point.

One of the AFD I read had said something about the precip starting later than they had first thought. I can't remember which. 

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NASHVILLE TN
924 PM CST MON JAN 20 2014

.UPDATE...
CURRENT REGIONAL SFC OBS...REGIONAL RADAR MOSIAC...SATELLITE
IMAGERY...AND SHORT RANGE MODELS AND SHORT RANGE MODEL SOUNDINGS...
ALONG WITH ANALYSIS OF THE 00Z TUE KOHX SOUNDING...ARE ALL
POINTING TOWARD A DECREASE CHANCE OF SNOWFALL AFTER MIDNIGHT...
MAINLY...IF IT OCCURS...DURING THE 09Z-12Z TIME FRAME. WITH
ARCTIC FRONT STILL WELL N OF THE OHIO RIVER VALLEY AS OF 03Z...
AND WITH AIRMASS STILL RELATIVELY DRY ACROSS MID STATE...JUST DO
NOT SEE THE POTENTIAL OF ANY TYPE OF PCPN UNTIL THE 09-12Z TIME
FRAME...AND EVEN AT THAT TIME...AS TEMPS SHOULD BE FALLING TO
AROUND FREEZING ACROSS MOST OF THE MID STATE...MOISTURE WILL BE
LIMITED AT BEST...AND WILL ADDRESS WITH ONLY SLIGHT CHANCE POPS
MAINLY ACROSS NRN HALF. DO NOT ANTICIPATE ANY SNOWFALL ACCUMULATIONS
BEFORE 12Z ALSO. UPDATED THE HWO PRODUCT TO REFLECT THIS TOO.
HAVE ALSO RAISED OVERNIGHT LOWS BY A FEW DEGREES ALSO PER NOT
AS SOON AS ARRIVAL OF ARCTIC FRONT AS PREVIOUSLY ANTICIPATED.

ALSO UPDATED THE WIND ADVISORY DURING THE 12Z-00Z TIME FRAME.
BELIEVE THAT MAIN IMPACTS OF 35 TO 45 MPH GUSTS WILL BE DURING
THE MORNING HRS...I.E. 12Z-18Z...BUT WITH TIMING OF EVERYTHING A
LITTLE SLOWER THAN PREVIOUSLY THOUGHT...CAN NOT RULE OUT SOME
WIND ADVISORY CRITERIA GUSTS DURING THE AFTERNOON HRS AND THUS
WILL CONTINUE THRU 00Z.

Archived