joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 14-15 Winter Storm Part Two

earthlight

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

MT Holly has the best forecasters and they don't forecast by each and every model run, besides when it is within 12 hrs or so it's best to pay attention to radar trends.

Despite all the gnashing of teeth, the NWS didn't really change the forecast much, with warning and advisory locations unchanged, and snowfall forecasts largely unchanged, although a bit less snow and a bit more ZR was put into the transition zone, generally near I-95.  For example, at my location, in Metuchen, they had predicted 4-6" of snow and 0.05" of ZR earlier, but with the updated package, they're predicting 3-5" of snow and about 0.15" of ZR before the changeover to rain - similar shaving back of snowfall and a modest increase in freezing rain was predicted along most of the I-95 corridor (I live 1/2 mile from the NJ TPK).

Interestingly, the NWS in Philly is predicting a bit less snow than the NWS in NYC, especially at the borders between the 2 offices, i.e., Union/Essex Counties are generally predicted to get 6-8" of snow by the NWS-NY, while adjacent areas in eastern Somerset/Morris Counties are generally predicted to get 4-6" of snow. 

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/er/phi/

StormTotalSnowWebFcst.png

StormTotalSnowFcst.png

MT Holly has the best forecasters and they don't forecast by each and every model run, besides when it is within 12 hrs or so it's best to pay attention to radar trends.

The only thing I think that saves the coast now to exceed 2-3 inches is if we come down like a b**ch so to speak on the snowfall rates from 22-00Z and onward, the HRRR suggests beginningf around 22Z that does happen and if we get that mix line in CNJ it could help matters...Upton AFD hits it well, if we changeover at 01Z or 00z its maybe 2-3 inches if that, if its 03-04Z its easily 4-6 inches.

The only thing I think that saves the coast now to exceed 2-3 inches is if we come down like a b**ch so to speak on the snowfall rates from 22-00Z and onward, the HRRR suggests beginningf around 22Z that does happen and if we get that mix line in CNJ it could help matters...Upton AFD hits it well, if we changeover at 01Z or 00z its maybe 2-3 inches if that, if its 03-04Z its easily 4-6 inches.

Upton is also very good.

Do you feel the the mid levels warm as fast as most overnight guidance had it?

Do you feel the the mid levels warm as fast as most overnight guidance had it?

If the precip is light then yes, if we're snowing an inch an hour it will be held off, almost always is the case, my guess is we see sleet in the NYC metro around 01-02Z if we're not getting the rates some of the higher res models suggest, if we are mod-heavy then I could easily see heavy snow til 04Z

If the precip is light then yes, if we're snowing an inch an hour it will be held off, almost always is the case, my guess is we see sleet in the NYC metro around 01-02Z if we're not getting the rates some of the higher res models suggest, if we are mod-heavy then I could easily see heavy snow til 04Z

If you see 45 plus dbz headed towards you then you know the sleet is coming lol.

Not to interrupt snowgoose... But with a low tucked into the coast like that there is virtually an unabated torch at the mid levels. In these setups surface hangs onand mid levels warm faster usually.

With it tucked into the coast we usually benefit from that up here but my concern is the primary hanging tough..

50 degree sst ouch . offshore is going to get snotty, batten down the hatches.The prince of darkness for coastal storms early in the season is that one big factor we overlook at times.Buoy readings there must be small craft warnings up and down the seaboard been there done that.

I have an ENE Wind flow right now, but the temps have been falling ever since.

As long as the primary doesn't hang on to long and the developing coastal achieves some mid level features then you should be okay up there. The key is breaking that se and ese flow at the mid levels.

I figured we would flip to ip/zr for the last hour or so of the event but some overnight guidance had us flipping a little after midnight. I think that may be a little too fast. I guess time will tell. Thanks for your input! Always good to see another Met posting..

Archived