Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
December 14-15 Winter Storm Part Two

earthlight

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IMO your all or mostly rain line is way to north - they will have snow to start and because of the snowcover and colder daytime temps they will have accumulations there all the way to the beach except from AC south along the immediate coast

I expect them to start as snow/ice, but change over in a few hours. On another forum I am on, all the members are saying the opposite!!

Thanks for the feedback, I really appreciate it!

I expect them to start as snow/ice, but change over in a few hours. On another forum I am on, all the members are saying the opposite!!

Thanks for the feedback, I really appreciate it!

you are welcome - I still think the forecast is not written in stone and we shouldn't underestimate this arctic air and its staying power - will be a real battle zone somewhere in the tri state region both aloft and at the surface and I believe someone is going to have one heck of an ice event - right  now that area looks like north central NJ in the somerville / flemington/watchung areas

What is shadowing?

This concerns downsloping...as air sinks...it warms, dries, and compresses...thus clouds and moisture tend to dry up...the opposite is an upslope flow...as air is lifted...it cools & condenses...and clouds and precip form or are enhanced.  That is why it is generally wetter on a mountaintop than in a valley...and why mountains cast a so called rain shadow when they stand between a valley and the prevailing wind.

This concerns downsloping...as air sinks...it warms, dries, and compresses...thus clouds and moisture tend to dry up...the opposite is an upslope flow...as air is lifted...it cools & condenses...and clouds and precip form or are enhanced.  That is why it is generally wetter on a mountaintop than in a valley...and why mountains cast a so called rain shadow when they stand between a valley and the prevailing wind.

The best example of this in the Hudson Valley was on December 12, 1992...when Albany...low in the Hudson Valley...experienced downsloping NE winds off the Taconics and Berkshires and got less than 8 inches of snow from a storm that produced greater than 40 inches one county over in the high spots of the Berkshires in western Massachusetts.

Continue discussion of the storm in this thread. Please refrain from useless posts and arguing. Also, I wrote an article and compiled a snowfall forecast here.

Always enjoy your posts and write-ups, but my work firewall is blocking your site - any chance you could give a quick description of your forecast, especially for central Jersey.  I'm in Metuchen, about 10 miles south of you - we tend to go over to rain around the same time as NYC does, i.e., Manhattan or maybe Brooklyn, and definitely before you do in Scotch Plains (I'm only at 100' elevation and closer to the Raritan Bay). 

I'm kind of expecting 2-3" of snow, then some sleet, then a fair amount of rain.  My hope is that we'll still have at least half of the snow that fell Tuesday on the ground and that that, combined with the 2-3" we might get on Saturday, will be enough to hold at least another 0.3-0.4" of rain, without major melting (making slush the equivalent of a 5:1 ratio snow), especially if we don't go well above 32F.

Ah I see now, so this mostly affect those in the hudson valley and nw Nj.

Models aren't showing this but NOAA seems to think there's a small shot this could happen

MEANWHILE...FURTHER NORTH AND WEST...A SEPARATE SYSTEM IN THE

NORTHERN STREAM WILL BE DIGGING A MID LATITUDE TROUGH INTO THE GREAT

LAKES. IF THIS SYSTEM WERE TO PHASE WITH THE SOUTHERN STORM...THIS

COULD BE AN EPIC STORM A LOT LIKE THE STORM LAST FEBRUARY THAT

BURIED OUR SOUTHEASTERN ZONES.

Models aren't showing this but NOAA seems to think there's a small shot this could happen

MEANWHILE...FURTHER NORTH AND WEST...A SEPARATE SYSTEM IN THE

NORTHERN STREAM WILL BE DIGGING A MID LATITUDE TROUGH INTO THE GREAT

LAKES. IF THIS SYSTEM WERE TO PHASE WITH THE SOUTHERN STORM...THIS

COULD BE AN EPIC STORM A LOT LIKE THE STORM LAST FEBRUARY THAT

BURIED OUR SOUTHEASTERN ZONES.

LMAO. C'mon. 

+1

I have heard the term 'rain shadow' and I believe it is in reference to the effect of lift of air on one side of a mountain chain (wringing out more moisture) and then that same parcel of air coming down the other side carrying less moisture - plus the physics of increasing pressure on the air as it descends - drying it out.  A great example is in the Sierras - the western parts of that chain get an obscene amount of moisture, while to the east their is usually a dessert - even in Oregon.

Does anyone see this.....it seems the initial heavier bursts of snow stay towards PHL/SNJ like they had last week? As depicted by at least the NAM like last time....it shows us all well below freezing as the precip enters and during the initial batch....but the heavier precip is south of NYC....and them once the warm air comes into the picture....it heads north and affects all areas. I think S/CNJ could get a surprise 3-6" again, while NE NJ gets 1-3 and NW NJ north get hit fairly hard 6-12"

Does anyone see this.....it seems the initial heavier bursts of snow stay towards PHL/SNJ like they had last week? As depicted by at least the NAM like last time....it shows us all well below freezing as the precip enters and during the initial batch....but the heavier precip is south of NYC....and them once the warm air comes into the picture....it heads north and affects all areas. I think S/CNJ could get a surprise 3-6" again, while NE NJ gets 1-3 and NW NJ north get hit fairly hard 6-12"

According to the latest forecast discussion fron NWS they still don't have enough confidence of a 6" storm and think its an advisory level event lol...it always amazed me that they can put out a map or a synopsis then completely contradict themselves in a forecast discussion

Archived