12bet1 net
December 10th/11th winter storm threat

jamesnichols1989

• Replies 716
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So where does that set up?

exactly.

depends on where the good lift is in the 6h to 5h layer. north of there, i think it's essentially a "non-event". i know that we can make out well even with good lift that high up...my only concern is the propensity for banding to be co-located where 7h fronto is maximized....if that's further south, i'm afraid that hole band on that HRRR is sitting over ACK.

hopefully not.

I do not believe the GFS's depiction of getting advisory snows to Rt 2 or even a bit north. I think the advisory amounts are generally SE of a BOS-HFD line.

I found that odd too; think I mentioned that a while ago... But, then I paid some attention to the wind streak trajectory (v-max) and I'm wondering why that much dpva can't pull this a bit more NW.

I tell you what, my Met buddy and I have the Euro and GFS war a 1 to 2, respectively. 

if we knew, we'd have the tag.

So what I mean is that 20 or 30 miles makes a a big difference. Part of me wants to think this makes it to the pike. But, the caution flag in  me doesn't want to bite and keep it south. If the GFS is right you have great 700-500 fronto right the pike and just beyond. But it is impossible to determine where this sets up. 

I found that odd too; think I mentioned that a while ago... But, then I paid some attention to the wind streak trajectory (v-max) and I'm wondering why that much dpva can't pull this a bit more NW.

I tell you what, my Met buddy and I have the Euro and GFS war a 1 to 2, respectively.

I think this is exactly the crux of the differences in the models. Let's face it if the euro has a weakness it's in systems coming out from of or near the sw. To me the difference is how much of a tug the vortmax gives. Euro may have underplayed this.

So what I mean is that 20 or 30 miles makes a a big difference. Part of me wants to think this makes it to the pike. But, the caution flag in me doesn't want to bite and keep it south. If the GFS is right you have great 700-500 fronto right the pike and just beyond. But it is impossible to determine where this sets up.

Wouldnt the higher res guidance exhibit the precip fields more accurately, esp with banding and subsidence ?

Wouldnt the higher res guidance exhibit the precip fields more accurately, esp with banding and subsidence ?

Yeah they would. That run is probably half virga north of the main band on the HRRR.  I would love for the GFS to be right. Like I said..it's been steadfast and 00z did not back down. If anything it ticked NW and I'm a little nervous we may be seeing signs of banding further north as well. 

Then there are the WRF-NMM hires models that have nothing NW of Brockton...lol. That's the idea of very little NW of this band which I buy. The question is where does the band set up. I will say the one thing where I've had some luck with is VVs even up to 500mb. Yes this is rather high, but it can helped along by mid level forcing. When I see that get to the pike..it makes me think that's where a band has potential to get to. 

Rap is still impressive.m. Radar is impressive. We should know when we awaken.

Radar is a dead ringer for the January 1997 event that was supposed to miss but I got 7 inches of fluff one lovely Saturday morning. XC skiing all afternoon in the arboretum that day.

Your memory amazes me. God bless you sir! My wife asked me today if I fed the dogs this morning and I couldnt remember.

Archived