• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Central PA - December 2013

PennMan

How are soundings looking for above 850mb this run? I agree it's much improved and if it comes down heavy enough, the snow might just make it down if the warm layer isn't too thick.

I posted some soundings on the previous page for the grid point closest to the city of State College. Of course, that's the grid point to the northwest, and the one to the northeast is warmer.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How are soundings looking for above 850mb this run? I agree it's much improved and if it comes down heavy enough, the snow might just make it down if the warm layer isn't too thick.

The cross section i took from Pit to Allentown was much warmer at that 850-700 level than the Euro, staying above freezing for the hours of best precip all the way back to about Johnstown's longitude and at or even slightly above 0ºC all the way back to Pittsburgh (esp hours 30-33). Pretty cold air does undercut below 850 and is likely supportive of sleet for JST and probabaly AOO and UNV. This cross section is basically a straight line from Pittsburgh to Allentown, so it could give a good indication of the column for places in between like Johnstown, Altoona, State College, and Harrisburg. I'd have to draw a different line for a better representation of northern places like Williamsport or southern places like York and Lancaster. 

For UNV 18z NAM Cobb data has 0.63" of ZR after a lot of rain. The soundings themselves don't agree with this, but it is a very marginal setup.

My guess is that the immediate State College area gets rain to sleet to a little snow at the end. We tend to change over to sleet earlier than expected with these situations, but hang on to the warm layer longer than expected.

Link is here if you want to check out the closest location to you: http://www.meteor.iastate.edu/~ckarsten/cobb/cobb.php?model=namm&site=kunv

CTP snowmap has <1" for my area while CTP grids for Friday night continue to say snow, maybe mixed with sleet and zr..turning to all snow after 10pm with a half to three quarters of QPF. Same thing for places like Johnstown and State College. Somethins gotta give there, they should be issuing their afternoon updates shortly. 

The Euro has continued to be the most supportive model for a sizable snowfall in most of Central PA vs the other models that focus more on Western/NW PA. AccuPro's 3D cross section product helps alot with visualizing the progression of the cold air. I wish I could post a pic of it but thats a big no no. Taking a cross section from Pit across the state to Allentown using the Euro shows that the cold air undercuts west to east from about 850mb and lower first initially leaving the relatively warm layer from 850 to 700mb that has been discussed about. However that particular layer is cold enough (barely) to support snow all through the column when it counts at hours 36 and 42 for the central areas...probably at the expense of good snow ratios. Cold enough air at those levels don't quite get to the Sus Valley in time for very much snow, although the 0ºC isotherm is undercutting at about 925mb. This warmer layer between 850-700mb also makes for higher 1000-500mb thickness and thus you can't really use the traditional 540 line to place the rain/snow line. The 546 line might be a better one to use in this instance. 

Wonder if they'll change that now that there's not much model support. 

Never mind...just saw above that there is model support. 

The cross section i took from Pit to Allentown was much warmer at that 850-700 level than the Euro, staying above freezing for the hours of best precip all the way back to about Johnstown's longitude and at or even slightly above 0ºC all the way back to Pittsburgh (esp hours 30-33). Pretty cold air does undercut below 850 and is likely supportive of sleet for JST and probabaly AOO and UNV. This cross section is basically a straight line from Pittsburgh to Allentown, so it could give a good indication of the column for places in between like Johnstown, Altoona, State College, and Harrisburg. I'd have to draw a different line for a better representation of northern places like Williamsport or southern places like York and Lancaster. 

Ahh, so tons of sleet. Hopefully there's not a large ZR zone.

For UNV 18z NAM Cobb data has 0.63" of ZR after a lot of rain. The soundings themselves don't agree with this, but it is a very marginal setup.

My guess is that the immediate State College area gets rain to sleet to a little snow at the end. We tend to change over to sleet earlier than expected with these situations, but hang on to the warm layer longer than expected.

Link is here if you want to check out the closest location to you: http://www.meteor.iastate.edu/~ckarsten/cobb/cobb.php?model=namm&site=kunv

that shows 10" for dubois

It looks great but I don't know about that warm layer...an expert can say better. 

I"ll be able to say once I see the full suite of products. AccuPros rapid update has been screwy since they've released their new version of Accuweather Professional. I can see the basic stuff but I can't see the updated expanded pick of products like 700 temps, ptypes, accums, etc until the whole model run is complete. I used to be able to see all that stuff with the rapid update.

At any rate 850mb def looks good.. might even be colder than the Euro. 

Why? The NAM is the pretty much the warmest model (besides the SREFs, which are awful), and even it is marginal for snow.

18z GFS is even a bit colder than the 12z.

Why? The NAM is the pretty much the warmest model (besides the SREFs, which are awful), and even it is marginal for snow.

18z GFS is even a bit colder than the 12z.

Part of my reasoning is based on what I've seen happen in the past. My other reasoning is because I like to have low expectations and be surprised when we exceed them. Real scientific, I know. But the warming from 800-700mb is showing up on most models and that needs to be taken into account.

But it is encouraging to see the models continue to cool all layers more and more. 

Also, what's with CTP's forecast? Less than 1/2" of snow and sleet?! That's a far cry from the forecast earlier today!

Part of my reasoning is based on what I've seen happen in the past. My other reasoning is because I like to have low expectations and be surprised when we exceed them. Real scientific, I know. But the warming from 800-700mb is showing up on most models and that needs to be taken into account.

But it is encouraging to see the models continue to cool all layers more and more. 

Also, what's with CTP's forecast? Less than 1/2" of snow and sleet?! That's a far cry from the forecast earlier today!

I donno, we had a storm kinda like this last year and it turned out to be almost all snow, if I remember correctly. :P

So where are we at after the 18z models? I'm seeing like 2-3 different interpretations.

Also, isn't the ECM typically worse in the short range than mid?

I agree man, I can't read models as well as the mets and I see everything from a high end advisory event to rain ending as a bit of snow being mentioned here. And it starts tomorrow :)

So where are we at after the 18z models? I'm seeing like 2-3 different interpretations.

Also, isn't the ECM typically worse in the short range than mid?

GFS and NAM are both colder on their 18z runs than they were on their 12z runs. How much snow they give State College depends mostly on which product you look at, and which grid point as well. Both have trended towards the 12z Euro, which is mostly snow for us.

If the Euro is worse in the short range than the mid, I haven't noticed it. It certainly still verifies better than most of the other models in my experience. But that's not to say it's guaranteed to win every storm.

Archived