CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
12/3 Tuesday Potential Event

Clinch Leatherwood

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ahh the good ol' cold/dry warm/wet pattern... periods of bitter cold mixed in with just enough warmth when it precipitates that its mostly liquid. Sort of like how 2010-2011 started out.

Yep. Not giving up on Tuesday yet but a weak solution is a wet solution.

The bitter cold is nice but most of it is being wasted with no snow.

Look on the bright side....SSTs going down.

You of all people knwo how difficult it is to get snow this time of year.

I don't mind if the last two weeks and next two weeks are all part of laying the foundation for winter. I was the biggest cheerleader for this type of up and down pattern with there being plenty of opportunities. I'm worried now about mid month onward. The more I read about cohens stuff....although accuracy in December can be dodgy his j f m forecasts are usually spot on. Milder but near average snowfall isn't terrible of course and may just be a pattern similar to now but with more snow during the heart of winter.

Dependencies on the models, well the GFS is torch, the NAM is the NAM. GEM is over amped - OTS, NAVGEM is similar. Add a little vorticity (to bad it can't be injected from nowhere)  to a bump in the 5H HGTS. All the models have it.  A wannabe that probably will only be a soaker locally and an inch or two back from the coast, but it's close. 

Watch the EURO come out with it bombing off the Delmarva. This place would light up faster than the masses scrambling to put the ornaments.   

Surprised there is not more interest.

The UK and GFS cut off the mid levels east of the Delmarva.  The NAM is sort of similar with the mid level flow wrapping around all the way to the SE.  The Canadian and ECMWF are much flatter along the east coast.

What's weird is that the UK and GFS are totally different in the west/central US.  The GFS appears to be an outlier with a separate strong mid level center over SD at day 3.  This appears to warm the GFS solution and kick the coastal out faster than on the UK, and faster than it otherwise might.  Ensembles support the less interesting scenario, not surprisingly.   But if a wrapped up solution were to occur, I would expect the ensembles to be too weak and east anyway.  So who knows.  But seeing the EC so far east and flat pretty much seals it or me.

The UK and GFS cut off the mid levels east of the Delmarva. The NAM is sort of similar with the mid level flow wrapping around all the way to the SE. The Canadian and ECMWF are much flatter along the east coast.

What's weird is that the UK and GFS are totally different in the west/central US. The GFS appears to be an outlier with a separate strong mid level center over SD at day 3. This appears to warm the GFS solution and kick the coastal out faster than on the UK, and faster than it otherwise might. Ensembles support the less interesting scenario, not surprisingly. But if a wrapped up solution were to occur, I would expect the ensembles to be too weak and east anyway. So who knows. But seeing the EC so far east and flat pretty much seals it or me.

Like we said yesterday the pattern doesn't support a wound up storm

Lack of a true PNA ridge out west supports a more out to sea more progressive solution on the models, and we are currently seeing that, unless the shortwave energy over the Great Lakes enters the Mid Atlantic coastline H5 trough then it winds up far enough south for a significant snowstorm, but right now pattern does not support such a solution, even though the GFS shows heavy QPF, the storm doesn't deepen a ton, because lack of a northern stream energetic system.  And lack of high pressure to the north is keeping this rain for the coastline on the GFS.

JB keeping weenies in the game

1. By Monday everyone will have an idea and by Thursday everyone will stay they were right. Such is the world of virtual weather

2. Remember, the original battleground with ne event was us with rain or snow idea vs sunny and milder. people jumping in after party started

3. UKMETJMA colder with Ne Storm Tue into http://Wed.Weatherbell.com  still thinks this has snow with it over interior. Coast always been iffy

18z NAM is close to giving us a big rainstorm, and a step away from a snowstorm.  Your normal track of H7 low and H85 lows aren't the problem here, its lack of a cold airmass shortwave interaction with the southern stream disturbance that is our low.  This interaction doesn't take place until it hits Nova Scotia.  I wanted to say its close, but the truth is its far from reacting the right way for snow.

18z NAM is close to giving us a big rainstorm, and a step away from a snowstorm. Your normal track of H7 low and H85 lows aren't the problem here, its lack of a cold airmass shortwave interaction with the southern stream disturbance that is our low. This interaction doesn't take place until it hits Nova Scotia. I wanted to say its close, but the truth is its far from reacting the right way for snow.

Is it Close to snow for wa wa and monads. Ill take snow anywhere

Archived