• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
E PA/NJ/DE/Okle: Banter/Non Storm OBS thread

I've given up following run after run until 48hrs or so till the event. Unless you're in the field, such as yourself, it's unproductive/wasting time/losing sleep sitting in front of the screen for hours on end only to get screwed more times than not. I'll peek but should be getting more things done, exercising, going out and seeing 3-dimentional people more often than I have during these storms.  

When I'm not preparing a 7-day forecast, I just glance at the models myself.  Like you said, no use focusing too much on them when they're gonna change a bunch of times.  I just get the general feel for what's going on.  When a snow threat is within the "few days" time range (something the Monday one is just starting to enter) then I'll focus more. 

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am personally liking this break in the brutal cold, but would not mind one blockbuster.

So am I...on probably a few more levels than the general public.

I haul spring water in a tanker trailer. When it's in the mid 20's or higher, we don't have too much problem with the freezing conditions, save for having to use a hammer to open up the vent caps and loading/unloading inlet caps. When it's in the teens and below, things change.

At the more extreme temperatures, the loading valve itself freezes into what ever position it's in (open or closed) and has to be thawed with a torch. The hoses that are outside become a bear to work with as they freeze up and become as flexible as a rod of steel. The trailer vent, well, that's another story. There is always some movement of the load (water) in the trailer and it does get into the vent. When it's ridiculously cold, it can and does freeze in the vent pipe and closes it off completely. Usually, with the hammer and torch, we can get it open....if it's anywhere near the end where the cap is. If it blocks farther back where we can't reach though, if we're not careful, we can collapse a trailer while unloading. That can happen in less than a minute, as we're unloading through a pump at about 350 gallons per minute.

Hey everyone, so this past month has been strange with the amount of below freezing days which is pretty cool to have a winter like that. However back in 1995(?) we most up had a month of below freezing? (Maybe some of you can help me out.) But the Neshaminy Creek was frozen solid for a month long and then it got super mild and it rained a lot for a day causing the ice to break and flood into the yards. These glaciers were thick! And they managed to completely destroy our gazebo we had which was made out of iron steel mind you. (Which was due to the fact that it stuck out on the bend of the creek and everything got caught behind it causing a ice jam.) But I thought I would upload a picture I could find from the newspaper that took the picture, there are more regular pictures around but I have to dig them up if you guys want to see titanic breaking ice bergs.

6jex.jpg

If it was 1994, then it was colder than this January was, for one.  If it was 1996, then I'm not sure.

Almost sure it was 1996, had the blizzard in Jan. of that year with really cold temps. With many inches of snow on the ground had a quick major warmup with a heavy rainstorm and temps in the 60's. The susquehanna river in Harrisburg had serious flooding with massive amounts of ice flow ripping bridges and buildings down.

This is the walnut st bridge in Harrisburg floating on the ice after being torn apart by the ice.

post-9753-0-32650900-1391294771_thumb.jp

Call me crazy....but I will always go with the non-US models....what a pattern....if you like winter weather....

EC, while still overall supreme, has had a few "busts" this year.  I wouldn't throw all my eggs into the EC's basket without support from other models.

Almost sure it was 1996, had the blizzard in Jan. of that year with really cold temps. With many inches of snow on the ground had a quick major warmup with a heavy rainstorm and temps in the 60's. The susquehanna river in Harrisburg had serious flooding with massive amounts of ice flow ripping bridges and buildings down.

This is the walnut st bridge in Harrisburg floating on the ice after being torn apart by the ice.

The question isn't whether there was flooding from a deluge after icing; small streams had that in both 94 and 96.  The question is whether it was cold enough to produce ice of such great thickness on local streams.  Rivers are different since they flow from the far north, so a lot of the ice heads downstream with them. 

excellent, I'd say 75% overall with c - 4" depts.

It's about the same here, maybe a little better coverage (maybe 90% except for south facing sunny hills, etc.). I had let go of any expectations past this weekend a few days ago, now I see a good chance for extending this streak. Hope today isn't too sunny for a couple of reasons.

Ray, do you have any kind of data relating to dates and snowpack? Regardless of how the snowpack looks by the end of the weekend, or what the rest of February holds, I had the thought that it's nice to be starting February off with snow on the ground. And I'm thinking it might not be all that common.

I did some research (it gets a little frustrating trying to find older data for this area), and based on what I found, mostly on Wunderground, I could only find 6 years in the last 50 (before this year) with snow cover on Feb. 1st, at PHL. I was surprised, it seems we've had more white Christmases than that in 50 years. If true, another reason this winter is special, even if it's not a significant stat.

Even though it will be a tad warm today the cloud cover will help save your snowpack somewhat.

It's 27.9 here w/a predicted high in the upper 40s to around 50. I hope to stay in the 40s...

Likewise. The high here was 49 on Friday, 48 on Saturday, hopefully that trend continues. Even if not, the snow we have and likely the ground temp. too have been holding on pretty well.

I did some research (it gets a little frustrating trying to find older data for this area), and based on what I found, mostly on Wunderground, I could only find 6 years in the last 50 (before this year) with snow cover on Feb. 1st, at PHL. I was surprised, it seems we've had more white Christmases than that in 50 years. If true, another reason this winter is special, even if it's not a significant stat.

Last 50 years:

2014 - 1"

2011 - 6"

2005 - 6"

2003 - Trace

2000 - 4"

1987 - 5"

1986 - 1"

1985 - 1"

1984 - Trace

1982 - Trace

1979 - 1"