Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
E PA/NJ/DE/Okle: Banter/Non Storm OBS thread

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm at 22 now, a full 5 degrees above forecasted high temp.

TTN airport said 15 at 2PM.  The 'rents relocated Davis has been up to 20.5, but I don't trust it as it seems fences are not good places for weather stations (too much heat absorbed by the fence when the sun comes out). 

Not as cold this morning and today as had been forecast 4 or 5 days ago, but still cold enough to make me regret not wearing gloves or a hat (my car broke down on the way to work and I had to wait 40 minutes to get towed...man was I glad to get inside the heated towtruck after it arrived!!)

Atlanta's "Snowpocalypse" reminds of an event a few years ago where motorists were stuck for hours upon hours on I78.  It only takes a little bit of snow, untreated roads and cold temperatures on a highway.  Once the traffic jam starts, the snow is compacted by cars and turns to ice on the road. 

Once the road and access ramps become choked with traffic, it becomes impossible to adequately plow or salt the roads or even gain access to rescue stranded motorists.  Eventually, some drivers either run out of gas or abandon their vehicles to find other ways of escaping and you've created a permanent icy parking lot.  What an awful, scary situation for everyone involved...

Atlanta's "Snowpocalypse" reminds of an event a few years ago where motorists were stuck for hours upon hours on I78.

I believe this was the Valentine's Day storm in 2007, which was a combo of sleet and snow with very cold temps - followed by several weeks of below normal temps.

Also Feb 5, 2001 was another storm that had traffic completely tied up on some major roads for hours and hours during the afternoon and evening in the NW suburbs of Philly.  Heard of a number of people being stuck for 7 to 8 hours on the Blue Route (I-476) and Route 309.

Archived