joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Storm next weekend has better teleconnector support than this misery ever did

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stalls and occludes over Philly...nice. So we have the EC and its ensembles with a BM hit and a scrape E of the BM, respectively. And we have the GFS amped up and bombing to our SW and moving inland. I like where we sit right now for d6-7.

Talk about messed up Meteorology, the 18 Z is joke, I agrreewith you but cripes what can you believe 60 hours out, nothing. When looking at the big picture it looks good and that's hope.

I thought people were saying it cuts west of NYC? That would mean a SE wind for everyone :(

The surface would be pretty warm this run, especially out towards LI and eastern New England, with the maritime flow. Boston looks to be getting snow at 156 on the 850mb map but the surface says it's actually rain as 2m temps are probably 38/39F. It's a total oddball solution although not impossible if the low closes off too early over the Midwest. I think this is our best threat of the month but everything is still on the table now.

You'd probably do very well on this solution, Ray.

He'd probably get like a third snow, a third sleet, a third rain.

With a track like that (at that strength) you're going to be bringing in tons of warm air around 700mb and in the boundary layer too. Not to mention one hell of a dry slot.

I agree. ...Dec 16, 2007 written all over that.

I think the difference is 12/16/07 had a nasty damming high to the north which really helped us... especially you... here we don't have anything near that so the flood gates of warmth would open in the CP. I don't think this solution is likely but it's probably not all that great verbatim.

I thought people were saying it cuts west of NYC? That would mean a SE wind for everyone :(

+SN and a strong NE wind up here. Rapid pressure falls southwest of here on this run will help keep a more northerly component. It's early though. I'd be happy to just get some precip in here.

I think the difference is 12/16/07 had a nasty damming high to the north which really helped us... especially you... here we don't have anything near that so the flood gates of warmth would open in the CP. I don't think this solution is likely but it's probably not all that great verbatim.

Yeah the arctic air seems to be mostly behind the storm...we start out with slightly below normal temperatures but the warmth over Eastern Canada means we don't have a traditional cold pool over Quebec to save us from an ugly track of the SLP. We really have to rely on the event tracking south of us to do well, except for NNE and places with big elevation in SNE.

I was just thinking that I should have checked for that, but like you said, it's moot anyway.....not 10", but that would be near warning cirteria, here.

I also torched in Dec 16, 2007 eventually, too.

He'd probably get like a third snow, a third sleet, a third rain.

With a track like that (at that strength) you're going to be bringing in tons of warm air around 700mb and in the boundary layer too. Not to mention one hell of a dry slot.

In this solution, the rich get richer. Heavy snow for western NY where they have already had record-breaking snowfall (I believe Syracuse is up to 71", its snowiest December ever)....basically nothing for DCA-NYC on this run with minor snow/sleet/rain mix in deprived places like Boston and Hartford. Really sad if this happens, would be a horrible way to close out 2010. Seeing another washed-out Christmas night would be terrible after all the Grinch storms we have had to endure in past years, especially knowing that the LES belts are going to cash in twice and continue their record setting season.

In this solution, the rich get richer. Heavy snow for western NY where they have already had record-breaking snowfall (I believe Syracuse is up to 71", its snowiest December ever)....basically nothing for DCA-NYC on this run with minor snow/sleet/rain mix in deprived places like Boston and Hartford. Really sad if this happens, would be a horrible way to close out 2010. Seeing another washed-out Christmas night would be terrible after all the Grinch storms we have had to endure in past years, especially knowing that the LES belts are going to cash in twice and consider their record setting season.

I think even NYC, Boston, and Hartford would get a decent front end thump of a couple inches before the pingers move in.

This is all assuming the 18z GFS is correct lol

I was just thinking that I should have checked for that, but like you said, it's moot anyway.....not 10", but that would be near warning cirteria, here.

I also torched in Dec 16, 2007 eventually, too.

Yeah you'd probably get like 5" of snow and then flip to a sustained period of windswept pingers as the coastal front oscillated just south of you for a little bit.

Yeah you'd probably get like 5" of snow and then flip to a sustained period of windswept pingers as the coastal front oscillated just south of you for a little bit.

Agreed.....it would eventually make it to rt 495.....this I think I can fathom more than a whiff because I don't see us being shut out through the month....I just don't.

Not really. Verification scores are just as good as the 12z/00z counterparts.

I know people say that, but a few years ago on eastern I saw a graph showing that the 12z is the most accurate, followed by the 0z, then the 18z and the 6z bringing up the rear.

Also, I know that many mets have been calling for the GFS to only be run every 12 hours and to get rid of truncation.

I think even NYC, Boston, and Hartford would get a decent front end thump of a couple inches before the pingers move in.

This is all assuming the 18z GFS is correct lol

Agreed, in the main obs thread for that model, a pro met from DC was saying that even that run means 2-4 inches down there, followed by a brief period of rain then dryslot.

I know people say that, but a few years ago on eastern I saw a graph showing that the 12z is the most accurate, followed by the 0z, then the 18z and the 6z bringing up the rear.

Also, I know that many mets have been calling for the GFS to only be run every 12 hours and to get rid of truncation.

There's no significant difference in the H5 scores anymore. The GFS doesn't truncate until after 192hr now so I'm not sure what the big stink is about that. It's all fantasy land anyways. I think people fail to understand how much satellite data goes into the models now compared to a decade ago. I did a research paper on this once and I surveyed the mets on this site (well...Eastern). There was a fairly even split on whether they found the off-hour runs useful so it depends on who you ask. Some of them are very adamant about their opinions too. :)

Here's the GFS cycle error decay for Nov 2010.

aczdie16n5.gif

Archived