Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Central PA - Early December

MAG5035

From Steven DiMartino, NYNJPAWeather.com

If the new 12Z ECMWF is right, everyone is in for a very heavy rainfall on Wednesday. Details this evening.

Keep in mind, his "area of focus" usually stops just west of Philadelphia so he could be addressing a more coastal/inland solution. Not exactly sure.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From Steven DiMartino, NYNJPAWeather.com

If the new 12Z ECMWF is right, everyone is in for a very heavy rainfall on Wednesday. Details this evening.

Keep in mind, his "area of focus" usually stops just west of Philadelphia so he could be addressing a more coastal/inland solution. Not exactly sure.

It's certainly warmer/wetter than the previous run. At UNV it's snow->ice->rain, and I'm guessing it'll be back to snow before all is said and done.

From DT:

*** VERY IMPORTANT STATEMENT FROM WXRISK COMING IN 15 MINUTES ABOUT TODAYS MODELS ..

took some time to get out of the office.. and of course when I do all hell breaks lose

the 12z SATURDAY GFS is a fooking nightmare. it has 2 lows.. ( which others have as well.). The first one moves off the Middle Atlantic Coast and ignores the r New England area completely and brings the lower Middle Atlantic some rain. BUT the 12z GFS delays the 2nd Low which allows for the arctic HIGH to build a new surge of cold air into New England anf the Middle Atlantic. The second low comes north on Thanksgiving Day which brings a substantial snowstorm to portions of North Carolina and Virginia then hesads out to sea.

As much as I would love to see a snowstorm in Virginia and North Carolina from the 2nd Low n thanksgiving-- even though that is what the12zGFS is showing-- I cannot in good conscience support this ridiculous idea. Shortly Iwll go to a lot more detail but keep in mind that this is the 8 consecutive model run of the operational
GFS and every single run has been vastly different from anything else.

The midday European model not only is NOT out to sea but it is so far inland that it drives extremely MILD temperatures during the r height of the storms as far north as Boston and New York City. It's a huge system with a tremendous a matter rain on the coast and big snows and the mountains. Whether the European model is overdone or roo far inland is still of course amount of water and certainty.

But at least the damn European model has CONSISTENCY ith its solutions something the wretchedly awful GFS seems utterly incapable of.

It's funny, if anything the GFS has been more consistent than the Euro, which has waffled east and west. Neither has been EXTREMELY consistent or EXTREMELY inconsistent. I don't think the GFS solution is ridiculous, though I would agree that it's not the most likely scenario.

So what is it that is making the model solutions so far apart? The GFS has it so far out to sea that nobody north of DC really sees any precipitation while the Euro is depicting an inland and very wet solution where even State College changes over for a time.

It's funny, if anything the GFS has been more consistent than the Euro, which has waffled east and west. Neither has been EXTREMELY consistent or EXTREMELY inconsistent. I don't think the GFS solution is ridiculous, though I would agree that it's not the most likely scenario.

Exactly... if anything the models have shown us all of the possible solutions depending on how the southern energy interacts with the northern stream...

no interaction - GFS like and out to sea

partial interaction - system close to coast bringing heavy rain to i-95 and some snow in higher elevations over central pa

full phase - system pulled way inland, very strong, and very wet with a good bit of rain with some rain to snow for those that are lucky to get the cold air pulled in on the backside

So what is it that is making the model solutions so far apart? The GFS has it so far out to sea that nobody north of DC really sees any precipitation while the Euro is depicting an inland and very wet solution where even State College changes over for a time.

My guess is a lot of it has to do with how they're handling the northern-stream system over Alaska and the Yukon. That area is notoriously poorly modeled (in my experience).

My guess is a lot of it has to do with how they're handling the northern-stream system over Alaska and the Yukon. That area is notoriously poorly modeled (in my experience).

Ok thanks. It sure is frustrating to see the models so far apart so many times in their solutions to a potential event almost every winter.

There's actually a pretty decent agreement between the Canadian, Euro, and also the NAM that is just starting to get this storm into it's range. But the GFS is definitely sitting on it's own right now and it's not even close. Other models are really starting to capture this storm..but due to the lack of a cold high in place, it's just too much and everybody becomes too warm. Heavy_wx's explanation about the weaker baroclinic zone the other day comes to mind as well with this setup.

At any rate, the Euro/Canadian/NAM still suggest a bit of a mess in interior central PA.. all starting as snow and going over to mix/rain. Canadian looked to be the most wintry, with several hours of snow yielding to several hours of freezing rain in places like AOO and UNV. Given that the GEFS has generally been at least somewhat supportive of more of a wound up system in the face of the more supressed operational... I tend to think the GFS will eventually get it's act together soon and start coming towards all the other guidance. Then we will see what kind of give and take the Euro and Canadian offer and if they back off of their wound up solutions any in later runs. Canadian was actually quite a bomb today, winding this thing all the way to 968 just across the Maine/Canadian border. 

This is probably for the snowband entering NW Clearfield County right now.

SPECIAL WEATHER STATEMENTNATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE STATE COLLEGE PA335 PM EST SAT NOV 23 2013PAZ005-006-010>012-017>019-024-037-041-042-045-046-049-051>053-232200-CAMBRIA PA-CAMERON PA-CLEARFIELD PA-COLUMBIA PA-ELK PA-MCKEAN PA-MONTOUR PA-NORTHERN CENTRE PA-NORTHERN CLINTON PA-NORTHERN LYCOMING PA-NORTHUMBERLAND PA-POTTER PA-SOUTHERN CENTRE PA-SOUTHERN CLINTON PA-SOUTHERN LYCOMING PA-SULLIVAN PA-TIOGA PA-UNION PA-335 PM EST SAT NOV 23 2013...HEAVIER SNOW SHOWERS AND LOCAL SNOW SQUALLS WILL AFFECTCAMERON...CLEARFIELD...CLINTON...ELK...LYCOMING...NORTHEASTERNUNION...NORTHERN CAMBRIA...NORTHERN CENTRE...NORTHERNMONTOUR...NORTHWESTERN COLUMBIA...NORTHWESTERN NORTHUMBERLAND...POTTER...SOUTHEASTERN MCKEAN...SULLIVAN AND TIOGA COUNTIES...AT 324 PM EST...A COLD FRONT WAS PRODUCING SEVERAL BANDS OF SNOWSHOWERS WITH EMBEDDED SQUALLS OVER CENTRAL AND NORTH CENTRAL PA. THESNOW SHOWERS WERE MOVING INTO AND THROUGH PORTIONS OF CAMBRIA...CAMERON...CENTRE...CLEARFIELD...CLINTON...COLUMBIA...ELK...LYCOMING...MCKEAN...MONTOUR...NORTHUMBERLAND...POTTER....SULLIVAN...TIOGA AND UNION COUNTIES AT 324 PM EST...AND WERE MOVING SOUTHEASTAT 35 MPH.WIND GUSTS TO 40 MPH ARE POSSIBLE WITH THESE SNOW SQUALLS. THE SNOWWILL RAPIDLY DROP VISIBILITIES TO LESS THAN A MILE. THE SNOW WILLFALL ONTO WARM ROAD SURFACES...WHICH WILL CAUSE IT TO QUICKLY MELTAND THEN RE-FREEZE. THIS COULD CREATE VERY ICY CONDITIONS IF THEROAD SURFACE IS UNTREATED.THIS WILL IMPACT THE FOLLOWING MAJOR ROADS...ROUTE 6...ROUTE 15...ROUTE 119...ROUTE 219...ROUTE 220...ALTERNATE ROUTE 220...ROUTE322...STATE ROAD 14...STATE ROAD 26...STATE ROAD 118...STATE ROAD120...STATE ROAD 153...STATE ROAD 255...STATE ROAD 350.

Archived