• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Should Philly and NYC be merged back together?

famartin

Should Philly and NYC forums be merged back together?  

178 members have voted

1. 1. Should Philly and NYC forums be merged back together?

• Yes
    • No

Ray, there are four maybe five posters in the other forum having conversations between themselves. I don't think that is highly active. During the last clipper this forum had more activity than the Philly wx. Additionally, that forum is poorly laid out and difficult to navigate through, not I do not see success in theit distant future.....

There may be a lesser number, but it's the Toms, Adam, Tony, Greg. I think that makes their forum more valuable when the weather isn't active. I'm sure that, for example, the content they provide over there far outweighs the intellectual value of posts here. I sure cant match it.

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its not that large an area.  Mid Atlantic and New England cover similarly large areas.

The poster you answered raised a valid question of territory that bordered the Mason-Dixon line, which you compared to Philly and New York. That is fallacious reasoning, not weather logic.

You have good weather sense when putting out a forecast. The variables between NYC and KPHL are small, but numerous. I lived in NYC for 14 years from the Upper East Side to Forest Hills, Queens. Remember Philly's crazy wild year, 2009 I believe, as I missed it moving back to Philly a year late in 2010. NYC had half the snowfall. Last year NYC was snow-covered when we had nothing.

Fahgaddaboutit as New Yorkers would say. There are many good reasons to remain apart just based on civility, but when you lump Dover, De., more temperate because the snow chances differing from being located 160 miles farther South, than NYC,  and argue each should have the same weather is ridiculous.

Philly's suburbs ( I used to live in Yardley and Upper Dublin ) have totally different weather than Philly metro, and this just 10-15 miles away.

Your case gets weakened the more attenuated the logic gets.

The idea of putting Devils, Rangers and Flyers fans all in one forum sounds rather interesting. Imagine if it did not snow in Phl since the 70's, or the last plowable snow for NYC was in 94, meanwhile Jersey becomes a cup magnet.....I mean frequently experiencing atlantic titles....dam, did it again, you know I meant post season events.

I post over in the other forum because that's where the action is.  Your comprehension failure is beyond words.

Ray, there are four maybe five posters in the other forum having conversations between themselves. I don't think that is highly active. During the last clipper this forum had more activity than the Philly wx. Additionally, that forum is poorly laid out and difficult to navigate through, not I do not see success in theit distant future.....

There may be a lesser number, but it's the Toms, Adam, Tony, Greg. I think that makes their forum more valuable when the weather isn't active. I'm sure that, for example, the content they provide over there far outweighs the intellectual value of posts here. I sure cant match it.

This is why I love the other forum.  I'm there all the time, but I rarely post because I don't have anything intelligent to add.  The extent of my meteorology education was MET 003 Intro to Meteorology at Penn State Delaware County back in the fall of 1994 (though I was a tutor for the class, and that is something), so I mostly just sit back while reading & learning.

What???? Don't sell yourself short...at times I feel it was more about themselves and the clique that was created...Ray seriously, you are the most humblest guy here(entire board) don't ever leave...and be seduced by the dark side.

The poster you answered raised a valid question of territory that bordered the Mason-Dixon line, which you compared to Philly and New York. That is fallacious reasoning, not weather logic.

You have good weather sense when putting out a forecast. The variables between NYC and KPHL are small, but numerous. I lived in NYC for 14 years from the Upper East Side to Forest Hills, Queens. Remember Philly's crazy wild year, 2009 I believe, as I missed it moving back to Philly a year late in 2010. NYC had half the snowfall. Last year NYC was snow-covered when we had nothing.

Fahgaddaboutit as New Yorkers would say. There are many good reasons to remain apart just based on civility, but when you lump Dover, De., more temperate because the snow chances differing from being located 160 miles farther South, than NYC, and argue each should have the same weather is ridiculous.

Philly's suburbs ( I used to live in Yardley and Upper Dublin ) have totally different weather than Philly metro, and this just 10-15 miles away.

Yardley and Philadelphia are really not that different, maybe a few degrees colder and a few inches more snowfall depth, but to say the two are much different you are wrong.

Fahgaddaboutit as New Yorkers would say. There are many good reasons to remain apart just based on civility, but when you lump Dover, De., more temperate because the snow chances differing from being located 160 miles farther South, than NYC, and argue each should have the same weather is ridiculous.

This post can be interpreted as disrespectful, I think it sure did.

I think the childish'ness should end, and just merge the forums already.

Feels like high school all over again, with all the bickering and complaining. 

the NYC section and it's members are more mature now, then years ago. 

Here is a simple concept for you;

If you like the Philly Forum, stay in the Philly Forum.

If you like the NYC Forum, stay in the NYC Forum.

If you like both forums, go to both forums.

There is absolutely zero advantage to merging the forums back together.  And thankfully that decision has already been made.

Here is a simple concept for you;

If you like the Philly Forum, stay in the Philly Forum.

If you like the NYC Forum, stay in the NYC Forum.

If you like both forums, go to both forums.

There is absolutely zero advantage to merging the forums back together. And thankfully that decision has already been made.

This post makes the most sense. I highly recommend checking out the mid Atlantic forum also, great weather minds there. And plus there is "Ji".

This is your third account after being banned twice, and you talk about childishness? lol One, you shouldn't even be posting on this forum at all, and if we actually had an active mod (I don't think Ray is a full mod, I could be wrong though) you probably wouldn't be, because they would have realized who you were. And like was just said, you like NYC, post there, you like here, post here, end of story. And of course you think NYC is the place to be, you make posts like most of the weenies there, so of course you'd rather be there.

Whatevs. The above has zero to do with the question. Who brings feelings into weather?

Anyway, if the merge happens, Dover, DE ends up in in a crappy location, and that's MBY. We're in an area whose obs make a great impact to both the Mid Atlantic and the Northeast corridor during borderline events, yet we would be forced between posting in an extreme southern point or an extreme northern one. I'm not interested in weeding thru a bunch of NYC nonsense to figure out if the changeover happened in Wilmington, DE yet....and I don't want to have to hear that Hampton Roads is rain again and everyone is pissed, either. The Philly forum was perfect for my location.  

I will say that if the red taggers who posted in the Philly forum previously don't post at all in the now-lifeless Philly forum, I'll follow them to where they do post . I normally only post obs and I come here to learn. I've only been a donating member a couple of times, so if it comes down to 'the mets and contributing members decided the philly forum unnecessary to the board', who am I to argue?  

This is your third account after being banned twice, and you talk about childishness? lol One, you shouldn't even be posting on this forum at all, and if we actually had an active mod (I don't think Ray is a full mod, I could be wrong though) you probably wouldn't be, because they would have realized who you were. And like was just said, you like NYC, post there, you like here, post here, end of story. And of course you think NYC is the place to be, you make posts like most of the weenies there, so of course you'd rather be there.

relax...  anger gets you nowhere. 

I was never given a reason for being banned, so it was most likely people like yourself complaining for no reason.

I was one of the few that helped increase community engagement around here, while others just sat and crept around. (then again, it's what most do in the philly section anyway....quiet ones)   If we all just sat and crept around all day, there wouldn't be any posts. 

If the mods here are saying it's not going to merge regardless of the vote, then delete the thread already. 

relax... anger gets you nowhere.

I was never given a reason for being banned, so it was most likely people like yourself complaining for no reason.

I was one of the few that helped increase community engagement around here, while others just sat and crept around. (then again, it's what most do in the philly section anyway....quiet ones) If we all just sat and crept around all day, there wouldn't be any posts.

If the mods here are saying it's not going to merge regardless of the vote, then delete the thread already.

Chill boy chill, these sub forums are staying apart.

if I could ask a dumb question...I have not been on the boards all that much like I used to. I have posted lately in the NYC forum because its more active. What happened to the forum here and where did everyone go? Was their another forum started, I think I got an invite to there but never went.

I think there has to be a split. NYC and LI can be quite different than Central Jersey south. Being just north of Princeton I straddle both areas but I think at times I have more in common with Philly than Li or nw burbs of NYC. There is a lot of banter in the NY threads which scream IMBY and too much general unbridled weenism with inaccurate snow totals and the like. So for sure I think combining forums would be a bad idea

if I could ask a dumb question...I have not been on the boards all that much like I used to. I have posted lately in the NYC forum because its more active. What happened to the forum here and where did everyone go? Was their another forum started, I think I got an invite to there but never went.

http://www.phillywx.com

I think there has to be a split. NYC and LI can be quite different than Central Jersey south. Being just north of Princeton I straddle both areas but I think at times I have more in common with Philly than Li or nw burbs of NYC. There is a lot of banter in the NY threads which scream IMBY and too much general unbridled weenism with inaccurate snow totals and the like. So for sure I think combining forums would be a bad idea

The geographical and weather difference concerns should be forgotten and never spoken of again, simply on the basis of the image I paste below, which is a map of subforum layout with NYC/PHL combined.  Even when combined, it would be (and was) the SMALLEST subforum in geographical area.  Plus, I believe the snowfall background I used should make it obvious that the geographical and meteorological differences in a combined subforum would PALE in comparison to the differences seen in most if not all the other subforums.

The main reason for any split is that the Philly people don't like the NYC people and in some cases, vice versa.  Which is just plain stupid, but there it is.

post-39-0-30976700-1388427294_thumb.gif

The main reason for any split is that the Philly people don't like the NYC people and in some cases, vice versa.  Which is just plain stupid, but there it is.

The weenies are multiplying fast over there. LOL read the storm thread.

Yeah, exactly what I said ;)

This thread is still going?

And for the record for those who care, I have not left this site. I have been busy.

Yes it is. I see it more as a "philosophical" conversation at this point. I agree with both Ray's post and Ralph's (among others). As long as they exist separately, and it works (participation-wise and met representation-wise), I think this forum is viable as a sub-forum. I enjoy reading the other sub-forums (NY and MA mostly) too, our weather is connected/related to theirs.

It's good you are still here! I tip my hat to Ray for both his knowledge and passion, as well as for putting up with some of our nonsense  :o. I also am glad you haven't left, because while there are many knowledgeable people who post (and a few genuine amateurs, like myself), it's nothing but good to have professional meteorologists posting in this sub-forum. It also helps keep this sub forum viable. And Ray needs to sleep once in a while.

Yes it is. I see it more as a "philosophical" conversation at this point. I agree with both Ray's post and Ralph's (among others). As long as they exist separately, and it works (participation-wise and met representation-wise), I think this forum is viable as a sub-forum. I enjoy reading the other sub-forums (NY and MA mostly) too, our weather is connected/related to theirs.

It's good you are still here! I tip my hat to Ray for both his knowledge and passion, as well as for putting up with some of our nonsense  :o. I also am glad you haven't left, because while there are many knowledgeable people who post (and a few genuine amateurs, like myself), it's nothing but good to have professional meteorologists posting in this sub-forum. It also helps keep this sub forum viable. And Ray needs to sleep once in a while.

The weather needs to stop :P  Not working rotating shifts would probably help too ;)

Just remember, when its 1AM in New Jersey, its 10PM in Elko...

relax...  anger gets you nowhere. 

I was one of the few that helped increase community engagement around here, while others just sat and crept around. (then again, it's what most do in the philly section anyway....quiet ones)   If we all just sat and crept around all day, there wouldn't be any posts. 

One, the internet doesn't anger me, lol. Two, I guess the fact that you used to constantly bash the NWS just happened to slip your mind. That's why you've been banned twice now. Now that there's no moderation here, you'll be safe, don't worry.

too tired to argue...but,

I've never once said on the old profile , that mount holly was wrong about this or that.

I might of said things in a sheepish manner, but never outright admitted they were wrong about anything.

Infact, I got my behind handed to me with yesterday's storm...thinking 6 inches of snow, but got nothing.    (although temperatures were very close)

Archived