Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Predict the Date: First Bonafide Nor'Easter of the Season

Rtd208

• 3 weeks later...

It likely will be debatable whether or not this qualifies as a bonafied nor'easter. The low will likely be poorly defined. Intensity most likely a little under what we usually associate with a bonafied nor'easter. We shall see.

WX/PT

So what would you call it? In my opinion, any system with a long duration of NE winds, rain, and coastal flooding qualifies as a nor'easter despite it being relatively weak. If this was a 12-18 hour ordeal than probably not but 3 or so days of this is pretty impressive. 

Nor'easter's don't necessarily have to be sub 1000 ,or to some, sub 990 mbs to be considered strong or at least make an impact.

So what would you call it? In my opinion, any system with a long duration of NE winds, rain, and coastal flooding qualifies as a nor'easter despite it being relatively weak. If this was a 12-18 hour ordeal than probably not but 3 or so days of this is pretty impressive. 

Nor'easter's don't necessarily have to be sub 1000 ,or to some, sub 990 mbs to be considered strong or at least make an impact.

This is for our area, little more than a nuisance off-shore low. I see no evidence of a bonafied nor'easter. Not every low off-shore that generates periods of rain, minor coastal flooding, and northeast winds qualifies as a bonafied nor'easter! In this case, the northeast winds are light across the most of the area. There were a few gusts over 20mph in a few localities.

WX/PT

i say this one doesn't count

I second that. Typically, the term "nor'easter" defines a powerful storm. Though this system dumped and continues to dump some copius rains on parts of se Pa, Md, De, Va, and southern NJ, it really didn't qualify in terms of the power, coverage, and winds that one would associate with the term.

WX/PT

i say this one doesn't count

I second that. Typically, the term "nor'easter" defines a powerful storm. Though this system dumped and continues to dump some copius rains on parts of se Pa, Md, De, Va, and southern NJ, it really didn't qualify in terms of the power, coverage, and winds that one would associate with the term.

WX/PT

I agree, this one is a no go.

This is for our area, little more than a nuisance off-shore low. I see no evidence of a bonafied nor'easter. Not every low off-shore that generates periods of rain, minor coastal flooding, and northeast winds qualifies as a bonafied nor'easter! In this case, the northeast winds are light across the most of the area. There were a few gusts over 20mph in a few localities.

WX/PT

This one didn't count.

Archived