• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
First 32° Occurrences Across the Subforum for Autumn

Geos

Thought I'd do another weather project since it's been pretty boring lately. I looked at 51 locations across and near the subforum and found all the first 32° ( solid frost level) readings from 2003-2012.

Later on in the fall, I'll go back and add what the dates were this year.

Many locations have averaged earlier then normal frosts in the last 10 years. That's interesting because we've had some warm Autumns in the region, but I'm thinking the diurnal temperature spreads in the Autumn months have become greater, earlier.

The 30 year frost average dates; at least some of them, are a bit sketchy. Found some conflicting dates out there, but tried to choose the most reasonable and trustworthy ones.

If anyone finds a different date(s) that is official post it below.

Below in the 2003-2012 column, green represents an earlier change in the average first 32° low date (frost) and orange represents a later change in the first 32° low date.

post-7389-0-67851100-1377193384_thumb.pn

Here is a map, with the past 10 year average of first 32° lows plotted along with the airport ID's.

You can definitely tell the effect of the Great Lakes on the first 32° readings, especially as you travel east of MI.

Wow neat!  That really puts into perspective the effect of warm lake erie on Cleve temps early on.  

Lake Erie definitely has an effect. UHI for the bigger cities does also. Likely depends how built up it is around the obs site. 

Looks like the earliest frosts for the majority of the sub forum came in 2003 and 2012.

Quite a few early frosts in IA, MN, and WI in September of 2007.

October 13th is the date for KBTL while nw side of town it is October 3rd.

That's a crazy difference within a county!

In Cook County, IL though there is a few weeks difference also between the lakeshore where Alek is and the northwest corner of the county.

That's a crazy difference within a county!

In Cook County, IL though there is a weeks difference also between the lakeshore where Alek is and the northwest corner of the county.

The industrial zone/park is just next to the airport ( to the west/wnw ) and a bit closer to downtown while the NW side of town station has not much beyond it to the north or west and a bit further away from downtown. I suspect it is the same for a number of larger areas with the reporting stations in or near downtown/airports/lots of development/industrial zones.

UHI's definitely play a role. Look at MSP vs. RST.

DTW is about 1.5F warmer annually than sites just outside the airport. Its enough to change this summer from the 30-40th warmest to 50th warmest. I would never have been able to get these figures without the wunderground network... Thankfully most sites have elevations listed, so the comparison is fair.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Interesting that the west side of Michigan still hasn't hit 32° while the east side has.  Many place should reach 32° tonight that haven't already.

And we need Ohio locations to hit 32° as well. I think by the weekend every station should be checked off the list.

Only waiting for 4 more locations on the list to sink to 32°.

MKG, CLE, BUF, ERI.

Would be cool if those locations could get a freeze before November 1st.

All the Lake Erie stations hit freezing last night (CLE, ERI, and BUF). BUF actually hit freezing at 12:59 am EDT so technically that counts as yesterday for record keeping.

All the Lake Erie stations hit freezing last night (CLE, ERI, and BUF). BUF actually hit freezing at 12:59 am EDT so technically that counts as yesterday for record keeping.

Thanks! I'll note that in the list. Gotta double check MKG now.

Edit: MKG the last lagging behind. Only 34° so far.

If they fail to hit freezing by Thursday, they will be the only location in the list to first hit 32° in November.

Archived