MONDAY NIGHT INTO THURSDAY...
LOW CONFIDENCE ON TIMING AND AMPLITUDE OF INDIVIDUAL SHORTWAVES AS
MODELS SHOWING LARGE SPREAD. GFS MAY BE TOO AMPLIFIED WITH TUE
SHORTWAVE WHILE ECMWF LOOKS TOO STRONG WITH WED-THU SHORTWAVE. THERE
WILL LIKELY BE MULTIPLE BOUTS OF SHOWERS/TSTMS DURING THIS PERIOD
BUT TIMING IS UNCERTAIN. A WASHOUT NOT EXPECTED BUT SCT
SHOWERS/TSTMS FROM TIME TO TIME. TEMPS NEAR SEASONABLE NORMALS BUT
WILL BECOME INCREASINGLY HUMID.

Overall the threat appears to be from NY State into all of New England..the bigger heat stays west..and we are warm and unstable enough to reap the benefits 

Also known as the Ring of fire. Looking forward to it

No derecho..but certainly a very very active weak is in store for us

DT with a great explanation of why we really need to be alert for this next week in New england. From about 2:30- 6:00 minutes in. Going to be very active for us next week. 

In less than 24 hours, you've taken it down from a new thread for a 7 day derecho threat to "no derecho" but Dave Tolleris wants us to know that we might get a severe shot next week? You're KILLING ME.

TEMPS NEAR SEASONABLE NORMALS BUT

WILL BECOME INCREASINGLY HUMID.

I guess another high heat and high dews call has busted, so this is what's left. Any port in a 7-day hyped storm, I suppose.

In less than 24 hours, you've taken it down from a new thread for a 7 day derecho threat to "no derecho" but Dave Tolleris wants us to know that we might get a severe shot next week? You're KILLING ME.

I guess another high heat and high dews call has busted, so this is what's left. Any port in a 7-day hyped storm, I suppose.

As you well know..with me you get everything. You'll experience high points, low points, extremes and everything that tickles you in between. I'll bring you to top of the mountain..but that doesn't mean you won't taste the bottom

All I really see the potential for next Thursday into next weekend is MCS potential as Scott had mentioned several times.  Other than that there is really nothing suggesting "derecho" potential or better yet even severe weather.  Now...as we move through next weekend and into the first week of September could the threat for severe weather increase?  i think that is a possibility but it all depends on how the heat ridge evolves and whether or not we can get into the hotter/more humid airmass with steeper lapse rates.  

Just b/c we have a 500mb setup on paper that looks great doesn't mean it actually is.  When you look at things in more detail you'll see that while that 500mb pattern does look yummy what's associated with it is garbage, at least for us.  However, it is highly suggestive of MCS episodes and potentially several but a flag is raised b/c dynamics will be meh and things don't look appetizing for instability, especially elevated. 

Maybe some potential for strong storms late Monday or Tuesday though.

All I really see the potential for next Thursday into next weekend is MCS potential as Scott had mentioned several times.  Other than that there is really nothing suggesting "derecho" potential or better yet even severe weather.  Now...as we move through next weekend and into the first week of September could the threat for severe weather increase?  i think that is a possibility but it all depends on how the heat ridge evolves and whether or not we can get into the hotter/more humid airmass with steeper lapse rates.  

Just b/c we have a 500mb setup on paper that looks great doesn't mean it actually is.  When you look at things in more detail you'll see that while that 500mb pattern does look yummy what's associated with it is garbage, at least for us.  However, it is highly suggestive of MCS episodes and potentially several but a flag is raised b/c dynamics will be meh and things don't look appetizing for instability, especially elevated. 

Maybe some potential for strong storms late Monday or Tuesday though.

Watch DT's video..There certainly is

Watch DT's video..There certainly is

I did watch it.  If you look at that 500mb pattern and just that your mouth would water.  I know the 500mb pattern can be highly telling of what to expect but if you really look at it closer and into more detail you'll see looks can be deceiving.  

My point is when you look at that 500mb pattern you would get pretty excited, however, if you look at the pattern at 700mb and 850mb they are just about as unfavorable as you want for any severe weather chances.  You want ridging at these levels here...or at least be on the crest of a ridge, not be in a trough with closed lows to your NE.

At this point , it looks convectively fun

MONDAY THROUGH THURSDAY...
A SERIES OF MID LEVEL SHORTWAVES WILL MOVE THROUGH THE
NORTHWESTERLY FLOW OVER SOUTHERN NEW ENGLAND BRINGING A CHANCE OF
SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS TO THE AREA EACH DAY. SEVERAL LOW
PRESSURE SYSTEMS MAY DEVELOP AT THE SURFACE MOVING NEAR TO OR
ACROSS SOUTHERN NEW ENGLAND THOUGH THE MODELS ARE NOT IN AGREEMENT
ON THE TIMING OR TRACKS OF THESE LOW PRESSURE SYSTEMS. FOR THIS
TIME PERIOD WILL STICK MAINLY WITH THE WPC FORECAST WHICH
INCORPORATES BOTH THE GEFS AND ECMWF ENSEMBLE MEANS. WHILE AT
LEAST A CHANCE OF SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS IS EXPECTED EACH
DAY..

The pattern across the mid-Atlantic is just as unfavorable for a "derecho" as it is across New England for the timeframe of interest

How is the pattern "unfavorable?" Yes, mid-level lapse rates look like crap, but there's pretty good kinematic support, fair MUCAPE and the overall upper-air pattem coincides with some climo derecho events. I'm not calling for one by any means, but I do think there's legit MCS potential from the Great Lakes into the middle Appalachians, if not the mid-Atlantic coastal plain as well. Getting hyped up about this in SNE is worse than getting excited over a Day 7 SPC outlook.

How is the pattern "unfavorable?" Yes, mid-level lapse rates look like crap, but there's pretty good kinematic support, fair MUCAPE and the overall upper-air pattem coincides with some climo derecho events. I'm not calling for one by any means, but I do think there's legit MCS potential from the Great Lakes into the middle Appalachians, if not the mid-Atlantic coastal plain as well. Getting hyped up about this in SNE is worse than getting excited over a Day 7 SPC outlook.

Favorable for MCS activity sure but not for significant severe or widespread severe. The 500mb pattern looks fantastic but 700/850 are absolutely awful.

We would need to see a highly potent s/w energy amplify as it approaches to enhance things.

This is one of those "events" where if nothing happens it'll be forgotten quickly...but if by chance it pans out in any way, there'll be those claiming big props for hyping it up a week out.

Like the week earlier this summer when all we would hear is "derecho," but no "derecho" ever happened?

Archived