joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Weekend Storm Disco/Obs (Dec 18th & 19th) ---> Part 2

WeatherNC

• Replies 804
  • Created
  • Last Reply

through 27 hours, still not much moisture and technically theres zilch run from chesnee SC to Fort Mill SC along the NC/SC border, ie, my area. And only trace amounts surrounding it, but you get into central SC to the southern sandhills of NC and it increases a good bit. If we get precip tomorrow here looks like it will come from the left overs of the mass now in Texas, not the baroclinic boundary, overruning backing precip now south of Florida. Who knows the models could be missing the amount of return moisture. The 5H looks stronger on Initialized and the winds do back nicely for a while then it vanishes. Going to come down to watching radars in the morning. Atleast its a little cooler.

through 27 hours, still not much moisture and technically theres zilch run from chesnee SC to Fort Mill SC along the NC/SC border, ie, my area. And only trace amounts surrounding it, but you get into central SC to the southern sandhills of NC and it increases a good bit. If we get precip tomorrow here looks like it will come from the left overs of the mass now in Texas, not the baroclinic boundary, overruning backing precip now south of Florida. Who knows the models could be missing the amount of return moisture. The 5H looks stronger on Initialized and the winds do back nicely for a while then it vanishes. Going to come down to watching radars in the morning. Atleast its a little cooler.

Yep GFS gives further evidence this is a cluster ****.

Is that a little 850 low popping up at 30 hours around CAE?

just got in and I see we're banking on the 18z Nam?:popcorn::axe:

Man it's going to be depressing as hell if the nam is right because of how close the snow would be while I sit here in the 30s with rain. Sigh.

If the nam is right though, there would be some accumulations from around rome to toccoa and northward..probably on the order of 1 to 2 inches. A quick glance at soundings show Rome looks cold enough for snow ..while gainesville is a bit too warm. So there is a fine line between snow and rain in georgia..if the nam is right. Same goes for the upstate. Anderson looks too warm while gsp looks cold enough for mostly snow.

Yep GFS gives further evidence this is a cluster ****.

through the storm theres literally zilch here at my place to Gaffney to Chesnee and Rock Hill. Think the model is trying to tell me something. Overall, we need to get moisture coming in from the southwest sooner, otherwise we're depending on whats left over of the shortwave now in Texas which that area of moisture is going to be weak I think when it gets to this side of the mountains, per most models.

Sorry Brick but the 18z GFS does not have anything significant QPF wise for you.

I'm not sure if I just don't care anymore about this storm or if the models just wore me down. As long as we've been doing this on weather boards do you ever remember so many different looks from the models? To be honest, I don't.

I'm not sure if I just don't care anymore about this storm or if the models just wore me down. As long as we've been doing this on weather boards do you ever remember so many different looks from the models? To be honest, I don't.

Its been pretty crazy and now we are getting close to the time where its going to be nowcast over looking at models due to spin up issues.

This is an excellent run for Elizabeth City imo, know most of us could care less as we do not have any members from that area (as far I am aware of), but a sig hit there in what would be an almost all SN event with >0.5". Still some waffling going on between the american guidance 18z runs in the short term, which is to be expected. Of note, for this past wintery bag of wtf event, the nam and gfs were sig to low on QPF amounts here. I had 1" liquid in the gauge once I melted it, and both models were painting <0.5" in the 24-48 out window. Hopefully this is not the 18z fluke we are used to, as both models have trended towards a more favorable solution. Once the 0z RAOB ingest is in, we will either know it is legit, or just another example of 18z fantasia.

Nam sure looks a lot better than the GFS for those of us in the Triad area. Only problem is who wants the 18z Nam on their side. :arrowhead:

As far as now casting. Can anyone tell which model seems to have the best handle on the current moisture and strength/placement of the shortwave on their 6 hr forecast of their 18z runs; which would be current in 90 minutes or so?

The Southern Foothills and Piedmont of NC is so much warmer than most of the rest of the state. CLT is above 50 degrees while much of the rest of the state is in the 30s. Wow.

I was just looking at the data, you are right- wow. I hit 53.0 today, down to 48.0 quickly however. Warm frontal boundry sagging south I would say.

Archived