• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
The 2013-2014 Ski Season Thread

Skivt2

Never done the northern rockies, but that would certainly be a treat. Some good places in Idaho and Montana too. You could probably ski 10 months out of the year in some of those spots if they really wanted to do it. (of course high enough, you could go all year)

I think Timberline on Mt. Hood actually runs lifts in every single month. :lol:  Not sure how much vertical you get in a month like August, but that's still pretty cool.

Another place i'd like to tackle soon are some of the places around Alta, UT. Them and the western slope Colorado resorts get some pretty epic powder in mid-winter.

Careful, could ruin Northeast mountains for you. A la storm chasing in Oklahoma to come back to our August convection.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Careful, could ruin Northeast mountains for you. A la storm chasing in Oklahoma to come back to our August convection.

Lol...I still love New England mountains.

I've skied Tahoe several times at its peak conditions (my aunt lived there) and of course Colorado as mentioned earlier. Its a different brand of skiing out there, whether its the deeper powder in Colorado or skiing through semi-treeline trails at Tahoe just free to roam. The northeast with more numerous "old school" narrow cut trails through the spruce trees and even the cold temps still has a place for me.

You do get a bit spoiled though without the ice in the west that we come across here. Though when I skied Sunday River back in late March, you'd have been hard-pressed to find an ice patch even if you were looking for it...so sometimes even here its damned good.

But I'm not a 25-100 day per season skier like some here are...so I usually pick my spots when conditions are good. This was actually the first year in about 3 seasons I got out at all. But now that Megan has learned to ski and loves it, I'll be venturing out more. I might have to get used to more ice again....just like learning to love low-topped New England convection after watching 50,000 foot monsters in Texas. :lol:

I've skied Tahoe several times at its peak conditions (my aunt lived there) and of course Colorado as mentioned earlier. Its a different brand of skiing out there, whether its the deeper powder in Colorado or skiing through semi-treeline trails at Tahoe just free to roam. The northeast with more numerous "old school" narrow cut trails through the spruce trees and even the cold temps still has a place for me.

You do get a bit spoiled though without the ice in the west that we come across here. Though when I skied Sunday River back in late March, you'd have been hard-pressed to find an ice patch even if you were looking for it...so sometimes even here its damned good.

But I'm not a 25-100 day per season skier like some here are...so I usually pick my spots when conditions are good. This was actually the first year in about 3 seasons I got out at all. But now that Megan has learned to ski and loves it, I'll be venturing out more. I might have to get used to more ice again....just like learning to love low-topped New England convection after watching 50,000 foot monsters in Texas. :lol:

Jackson Hole is definitely on my radar. We will have to hook up next winter for a trip or two. Megan would love Berkshire East for a day trip.

I'm fairly certain I would look foolish in the deeper powder out west. But I wouldn't mind making that an annual pilgrimage just like a storm chase.

Jackson Hole is definitely on my radar. We will have to hook up next winter for a trip or two. Megan would love Berkshire East for a day trip.

Beast is one I've never skied surprisingly.

We def will be going back to Sunday River as Megan has two free ski days there that expire next March 23rd...so use 'em or lose 'em. Maybe I'll see you there this time. I'd like to get to 3 or 4 other mountains at some point too bext winter, but we'll see how the schedule works out. If planned in advance, I could take a day or two off and do a ski GTG on a weekday.

Never done the northern rockies, but that would certainly be a treat. Some good places in Idaho and Montana too. You could probably ski 10 months out of the year in some of those spots if they really wanted to do it. (of course high enough, you could go all year)

I think Timberline on Mt. Hood actually runs lifts in every single month. :lol:  Not sure how much vertical you get in a month like August, but that's still pretty cool.

Another place i'd like to tackle soon are some of the places around Alta, UT. Them and the western slope Colorado resorts get some pretty epic powder in mid-winter.

my daughter skied mt hood last august.  mornings only as it got too slushy later in the day, but still cool to ski in the summer.

Beast is one I've never skied surprisingly.

We def will be going back to Sunday River as Megan has two free ski days there that expire next March 23rd...so use 'em or lose 'em. Maybe I'll see you there this time. I'd like to get to 3 or 4 other mountains at some point too bext winter, but we'll see how the schedule works out. If planned in advance, I could take a day or two off and do a ski GTG on a weekday.

Berkshire East is a mini SR, so much fun. I will be at SR as usual 3rd week of March

Berkshire East is a mini SR, so much fun. I will be at SR as usual 3rd week of March

lol in what way is Berkshire East like Sunday River besides you like them both? I would think BEast was like a mini-MRG (ie anti-resort) and Jiminy Peak was the Berkshire's SR ;)

Whistler-Blackcomb, J-Hole and Alta rank at the top of the western resorts I've skied.

Jackson Hole is the only spot I haven't been in that list and that's on my hit list definitely. Alta and Snowbird are my favorites because of the shear quantity of snow...I know Tahoe can get a lot but the Wasatch is much more consistent and the snow quality is much higher. You don't have to worry about snow levels during most of the winter, and you can still get 48" in 24 hours of choking pow.

But I got biased at Alta by staying up in the Canyon when I was on a trip with my father and we were there for just four days, and it snowed like 60". We arrived and the first night saw two feet, with avid control closing the road to the mountain but some lifts still ran for the few folks staying at the mountain. It was "direct line travel only" so you could go from the lodges to the lifts and that was it. Then we had interlodge that night which means you can't go outside and if you are a snow weenie, there is nothing more exciting than a sheriff coming and saying no one is allowed outside due to avalanche danger (the buildings are in safe zones but even the parking lots can get hit) and it's snowing 3-4"/hr. I remember after four days we had to get our rental car out of the lot and it was buried up over the roof...you burrow in to find the license plate and then move to the next car until you find yours.

Whistler though was awesome for different reasons...the place really is huge. The vertical is hard to comprehend at 5kft+. Like Stowe's 2,100ft Quad and Gondola together would still not get you there. The other thing is that Whistler is the premier resort on the planet in my mind. Obviously it's the industry I'm in and some don't like the resort feel or care, but Whistler is a slick operation. From a resort management standpoint, they had that place dialed in. From Mountain Operations (I can only imagine what their daily ops meeting is like) to the marketing of the resort and attention to detail, Whistler-Blackcomb is the leader. It was just something I noticed when I was there...definitely a slick operation that other resorts should strive for.

I've been to crested butte and it is awesome, its small for a mountain out west but the terrain was extreme and the steepest I've ever done outside Tuckerman's. It's crazy the terrain they lift service out there versus here the best stuff is always above the lifts, ala Stowe, whiteface...

I'm out of town but a friend took a photo of the Ridgeview valve house, as mtn ops is in the process of clearing the snow off work roads and the Toll Road. Snow depth still quite deep on snowmaking runs on Mansfield. Lots of folks have been earning their turns.

lol in what way is Berkshire East like Sunday River besides you like them both? I would think BEast was like a mini-MRG (ie anti-resort) and Jiminy Peak was the Berkshire's SR ;)

layout and feel, many say this, great NE feel

I would actually say that for one of the largest mountains and network of trails, Sunday River is not very "resorty" for a feel. They seem to be all about the skiing. Its not very built up around the mountain outside of a few condos the staple Grand Summit Hotel. You have to travel into Bethel to to get a more touristy/resorty feel with the shops/restaraunts/inns/etc...at least that is how I've always felt going there.

Places like Killington/Stratton/etc feel more like a "resort" to me. You have a lot more nightlife in those areas.

I can't speak for Beast having never been there...though from the sounds of it, it would make WaWa look like a big resort operation. :lol:

I would actually say that for one of the largest mountains and network of trails, Sunday River is not very "resorty" for a feel. They seem to be all about the skiing. Its not very built up around the mountain outside of a few condos the staple Grand Summit Hotel. You have to travel into Bethel to to get a more touristy/resorty feel with the shops/restaraunts/inns/etc...at least that is how I've always felt going there.

Places like Killington/Stratton/etc feel more like a "resort" to me. You have a lot more nightlife in those areas.

I can't speak for Beast having never been there...though from the sounds of it, it would make WaWa look like a big resort operation. :lol:

just a base lodge to warm up. The layout with side trails, crossovers, mergers shooting off is very SR like. Don't know what PF was driving at with the Lol

just a base lodge to warm up. The layout with side trails, crossovers, mergers shooting off is very SR like. Don't know what PF was driving at with the Lol

Well I think he was probably LOLing from a mountain ops standpoint (we have to remember that is how he views these resorts...from mountain ops point of view)....SR is a massive operation while Beast is a mom and pop operation.....while you were more describing the feel of the trail network/layout. So it was different aspects both of you were focusing on I think.

But yeah, SR has alot of crossover type trails and winders through the trees...definitely more old school New England trails when you get those more narrow cuts winding through trees. Sounds like Beast has a lot of more classic New England trails too. I def have a place for those...they can be breathtaking and a nice break from the more modern wide cut cruisers that have become the norm.

Well I think he was probably LOLing from a mountain ops standpoint (we have to remember that is how he views these resorts...from mountain ops point of view)....SR is a massive operation while Beast is a mom and pop operation.....while you were more describing the feel of the trail network/layout. So it was different aspects both of you were focusing on I think.

But yeah, SR has alot of crossover type trails and winders through the trees...definitely more old school New England trails when you get those more narrow cuts winding through trees. Sounds like Beast has a lot of more classic New England trails too. I def have a place for those...they can be breathtaking and a nice break from the more modern wide cut cruisers that have become the norm.

HubbDave specials.  Beast has several.  One of my favorites was cleared out to a wide slope this year and it ruined it. 

The snowmaking has improved a lot in the last two years to the point that it's more of a dependable ticket nowadays for the night skiing and weekend crowd.  In that specific respect it's getting a little more resort-y as far as mountain ops go.  They also built a small but tasteful lodge.   But Charlemont, I mean there is nothing whatsoever there.  It's a day tripper no doubt, I could never imagine planning even a long weekend there.   I could see a long weekend staying in Noho and commuting 45 mins to the hill though, that could be a fun escape from E. Mass.

HubbDave specials.  Beast has several.  One of my favorites was cleared out to a wide slope this year and it ruined it. 

The snowmaking has improved a lot in the last two years to the point that it's more of a dependable ticket nowadays for the night skiing and weekend crowd.  In that specific respect it's getting a little more resort-y as far as mountain ops go.  They also built a small but tasteful lodge.   But Charlemont, I mean there is nothing whatsoever there.  It's a day tripper no doubt, I could never imagine planning even a long weekend there.   I could see a long weekend staying in Noho and commuting 45 mins to the hill though, that could be a fun escape from E. Mass.

Yeah that has been a general theme over the past 2-3 decades...unfortunately for those of us who like it but you can certainly understand why mountain planners do it....easier to groom, easier to avoid tree collisions, easier for snow making...all of that is easier on the wallet for them too.

Hopefully I can get out and try Beast this coming winter. Seems like a decent little mountain (its over 1k vertical right?) and it has bargain specials all the time on lift tickets and frequently very short or no lift lines. I could get behind that.

Yeah that has been a general theme over the past 2-3 decades...unfortunately for those of us who like it but you can certainly understand why mountain planners do it....easier to groom, easier to avoid tree collisions, easier for snow making...all of that is easier on the wallet for them too.

Hopefully I can get out and try Beast this coming winter. Seems like a decent little mountain (its over 1k vertical right?) and it has bargain specials all the time on lift tickets and frequently very short or no lift lines. I could get behind that.

Well most of the narrow winding trails are natural snow and ungroomed.  Granted this is inherently spotty in SNE, especially in a valley location prone to ZR lol.   The reason they clear cut my little gem (Hemlock) was that it had the pitch to be suitable for slalom races and they wanted to free up Competition, the steep wide open trail straight down the face, to the general public as it is frequently tied up with events. 

But you should definitely give it a try, I think it's like 1100' vert, cheap and relaxing, with one of the steepest average pitches anywhere and plenty of interesting terrain.

Yeah that has been a general theme over the past 2-3 decades...unfortunately for those of us who like it but you can certainly understand why mountain planners do it....easier to groom, easier to avoid tree collisions, easier for snow making...all of that is easier on the wallet for them too.

Hopefully I can get out and try Beast this coming winter. Seems like a decent little mountain (its over 1k vertical right?) and it has bargain specials all the time on lift tickets and frequently very short or no lift lines. I could get behind that.

it's a date, bring a can Tuesday for food bank is like 30 bucks.zero lift lines midweek days,so much fun.

Yeah and I have to remember not everyone looks at it through an industry lens, too.

But yeah I picture BEast to be like a Mittersill at Cannon, or a Magic Mtn in VT type place. I've never been there, but wouldn't have thought folks associate SR with it.

Interesting you guys are mentioning the widening of trails over time and the relationship to snowmaking...there's something a lot of skiers would never really think of but adds up overtime. It's not done on purpose, but a lot of times is hard to avoid. When the snowmaking push is on, have you ever seen the trees along the sides of your favorite mountain just caked with heavy snowmaking snow? Maybe leaning over or even broken like an ice storm?

There's a lot of pruning that goes on behind the scenes throughout the season of that stuff, broken branches, even trees that need to be removed if they are too far gone. Remember it can just be an unnoticeable amount per season, but over time snowmaking trails widen and become more uniform...like a ten plus year period.

Trail widening though was also a function of the lawsuit happy 1990s when the ski industry was getting slammed with claims from any and all accidents. If a trail is too crowded or choke points dangerous, what did they do? Make it wider, clear blind corners, take rollovers out, etc. We can certainly thank a lot of lawyers in the 90s for that stuff but luckily the states started protecting the ski areas and ridiculous lawsuits slowed down with more weight put on the skiers responsibility.

The eastern character of skiing is definitely the more winding narrow natural snow trails...and from an ops standpoint those trails are open a lot fewer days (heavy usage can cause them to get beat down a lot faster than other trails, as everyone tends to turn in the same places), but when they are good, they are the best skiing out there.

Interesting observation...that's pretty much what Stowe has going on. The bulk of the lodging/restaurants/bars are down near where I live about a 10 minute drive down the road. This mountain has a lot more resorty feel than it did 10 years ago, but I love how much the ski experience has changed because of it. I know some will disagree, but 4 major new or upgraded lifts plus literally reinventing the snowmaking system on the mountain has drastically improved the skiing. There's also the new Mountain Lodge which is a similar idea to the Grand Summit (just built more recently) but that's really it for lodging up at the area. After 4pm the main attraction is down in town...as the town was there before the ski area, unlike a Killington where the resort is the incorporated town. Before the new lodge, the only lodging was an inn from the 1970s that was accessed by low elevation natural snow trails that struggled opening some years. Now at least there is one good ski-in ski-out property, but the town 10 minutes away is really where the nightlife, bulk of lodging/condos and best restaurants are.

Yeah and I have to remember not everyone looks at it through an industry lens, too.

But yeah I picture BEast to be like a Mittersill at Cannon, or a Magic Mtn in VT type place. I've never been there, but wouldn't have thought folks associate SR with it.

Interesting you guys are mentioning the widening of trails over time and the relationship to snowmaking...there's something a lot of skiers would never really think of but adds up overtime. It's not done on purpose, but a lot of times is hard to avoid. When the snowmaking push is on, have you ever seen the trees along the sides of your favorite mountain just caked with heavy snowmaking snow? Maybe leaning over or even broken like an ice storm?

There's a lot of pruning that goes on behind the scenes throughout the season of that stuff, broken branches, even trees that need to be removed if they are too far gone. Remember it can just be an unnoticeable amount per season, but over time snowmaking trails widen and become more uniform...like a ten plus year period.

Trail widening though was also a function of the lawsuit happy 1990s when the ski industry was getting slammed with claims from any and all accidents. If a trail is too crowded or choke points dangerous, what did they do? Make it wider, clear blind corners, take rollovers out, etc. We can certainly thank a lot of lawyers in the 90s for that stuff but luckily the states started protecting the ski areas and ridiculous lawsuits slowed down with more weight put on the skiers responsibility.

The eastern character of skiing is definitely the more winding narrow natural snow trails...and from an ops standpoint those trails are open a lot fewer days (heavy usage can cause them to get beat down a lot faster than other trails, as everyone tends to turn in the same places), but when they are good, they are the best skiing out there.

AIT, you did not respond to me after your LOL comment, sometimes I do know what I am talking about, you should get out more.

lol at all the talk about Rockies resorts and no mention of Vail. It may be snobby/expensive but the backside bowls are some of the best.

Lol, that's an understatement.

Vail and Aspen both have some of the best terrain out there...but you're going to pay for it...even when you are aren't paying full price. But every mountain has a deal or two you can jump on...so if you are flexible with timing, then you can go for cheaper. But a lot of people aren't that flexible when it involves flying out from the east.

If you live out there or plan on spending a lot of winter out there, then some of those pricier resorts have some sweet season packages that include multiple mountains.

Yeah it sucks they have decreased the number of those more classic New England trails...but you can even have them with snow making on them, though I'm sure it is not ideal with the accumulation of manmade snow on some of the trees as you mentioned. Also usually only wide enough for one groomer....but they are fun to ski anyway.

Definitely tougher for the mountain to maintain though if they are aiming to keep those trails open.

AIT, you did not respond to me after your LOL comment, sometimes I do know what I am talking about, you should get out more.

What? :huh:

The lol was a chuckle, not an insult on your intelligence or something. I had just never heard that comparison is all...not something that immediately jumped to mind. I figured the discussion had run it's course without feeling the need to prolong it with further replies haha. Posting isn't always about being right or wrong, I could care less, it's just a moving discussion.

lawsuit happy 90's, really?  blame the lawyers.  I believe the vt statute which basically immunizes ski resorts became the law in 1978.

lawsuit happy 90's, really? blame the lawyers. I believe the vt statute which basically immunizes ski resorts became the law in 1978.

True, I was a little wrong on the timeline, it was more 70s and 80s.

But I found this interesting paper that defends lawyers but also acknowledges without new laws in place litigators would've sued the industry into the Stone Age. It definitely showed me some stuff I didn't know.

http://ir.lawnet.fordham.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1019&context=iplj

CONCLUSIONS

Although the propensity of Americans for filing lawsuits dealt the ski industry a real scare during the late 1970's and early 1980's, the sport appears to have emerged from the litigation mogul field with plenty of life left in its knees. Today, the industry looks forward to holding the line on lift ticket prices, opening new extreme terrain to the public, and attracting a whole new generation of adventurers to what may qualify as the world's most exciting outdoor sport. Whether the industry meets those goals remains to be seen, but the opportunity to do so has been established.

The issue remains, however, as to the culpability of litigators as prime instigators of skiing's dark decade. Simply put, personal in- jury lawyers did what they could to exploit the ski industry as a steady source of injured plaintiffs. Absent legislative intervention, litigators and their clients likely would have sued the ski industry back into the Stone Age-with unscrupulous practitioners using the usual amount of fraudulent claims to accomplish the devastation.

Fortunately, the ski industry was able to protect itself with a suc- cessful effort, led by its own attorneys, to have equitably protective legislation enacted throughout the country. In fact, ski litigation in- directly produced some positive results for both skiers and ski areas. For instance, the adversarial system led to enactment of laws under which ski areas receive strong protections, but only if they exercise due care in the performance of their duties. Thus these laws provide ski areas with powerful incentives to ensure the safety of skiers.

Litigation and legislation have likewise led to development and circulation of a skiers' code of conduct and responsibility. This list of rules concerning skiing safety and courtesy is posted conspicu- ously at nearly all ski areas in North America. It educates new ski- ers and reminds experienced ones that it is their responsibility to ski with care.76 That code of responsibility has been augmented, on rare occasions, in Colorado since 1989 by criminal prosecutions of grossly reckless skiers who cause grave injuries to their fellow sportsmen.

In the final analysis, the public relations "face plant"78 in the

snow that attorneys have taken over their alleged role in causing damage to the ski industry has been-for the most part-unde- served. Surely insurance companies must absorb a substantial por- tion of blame for having caused the upheaval. What is more, the positive outcome of the entire era serves to mitigate remaining guilt that might have collectively accrued to the bar.

In light of the tenuous nature of the above conclusion, however, the following quotes are provided as food for though for all attor- neys (especially those that ski):

Said Abraham Lincoln, Springfield lawyer: "Never stir up liti- gation. A worse man can scarcely be found than one who does

this."

Said Glen Plake, Mohawked extreme skier extraordinaire: "Ski fast, don't fall." (Words to live. by, if performed with requisite care).

Archived