12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
NYC/PHL 12/21-12/22 Threat

hazwoper

• Replies 999
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NYC had accumulating snow on christmas in '02 but that started as rain and didnt go over to snow until late in the day/evening. If this solution were to happen it would likely be snowing well before Christmas morning and all day long effectively shutting down travel for the day/weekend. I couldn't even imagine the implications

I remember 12/25/02 very well... What a dynamic storm.. The capital district of NY got record snow from that event... It was a 972 MB low moving slowly south and east of LI.. It was wind swept rain and temps near 50ish for most of the day and then at around 7pm- streams of snow started coming in from the Northwest and Nassau County/Suffolk County received 6-8" of heavy wet snow, Christmas Night..

This upcoming event, as you stated would be snow starting on christmas eve and continuing into christmas day... That's a TRUE white Christmas!!!

700 mb low a little close for comfort. Not a big deal at this point. We have a phase again on another run and we can hammer details later. Looking great right now!

Meh-- at this point I would take mixing over a storm that misses us to the east-- like the current one is doing. If it mixes or changes over so be it-- just no more misses.

I remember 12/25/02 very well... What a dynamic storm.. The capital district of NY got record snow from that event... It was a 972 MB low moving slowly south and east of LI.. It was wind swept rain and temps near 50ish for most of the day and then at around 7pm- streams of snow started coming in from the Northwest and Nassau County/Suffolk County received 6-8" of heavy wet snow, Christmas Night..

This upcoming event, as you stated would be snow starting on christmas eve and continuing into christmas day... That's a TRUE white Christmas!!!

This might actually be more like the Xmas day 1966 storm-- and if so, much more fun.

NYC had accumulating snow on christmas in '02 but that started as rain and didnt go over to snow until late in the day/evening. If this solution were to happen it would likely be snowing well before Christmas morning and all day long effectively shutting down travel for the day/weekend. I couldn't even imagine the implications

Good, I hope everything gets shut down for a week. Im getting tired of the media's antisnow bias and how happy they were we didnt get snow this weekend-- even TWC. I hope everything gets shut down, including electricity. No more crappy xmas tv programming to watch :)

A lot of other mets are already out with it, but I just want to put out there that this set up is waaaay better synoptically than the last one. Ignore the sfc low track and notice the H5 pattern. It's a lot closer to a major EC snow storm than this last threat was (esp w/ regards to the ridge in the west and 50/50 low in the east).

Forget the GFS..... I've never seen YOU so optimistic on a possible snowstorm 9 days out!

well- the h5 map just looks good...and most models have the same features....its not like its JUSt the GFS...but most long range models show the same thing....i noticed it (as did may others), and i believe this is our one GREAT chance of the year....

well- the h5 map just looks good...and most models have the same features....its not like its JUSt the GFS...but most long range models show the same thing....i noticed it (as did may others), and i believe this is our one GREAT chance of the year....

Its also 5 -6 days not 9.

The implications would be everyone get to where their going the day before and then spend the day with family and take turns snow shoveling - lol BUT - we are now in the danger zone with the GFS losing the storm ......

I have to say; that is a VERY impressive H500 signature. The downstream ridge behind the trough is absolutely beautiful; nearly classical of the Kocin-Uccellini events we had in the past; The H700 mb low is pretty ideal and the MJO is going into Phase 7, I believe which is very conductive for an East Coast Snowstorm. All the levels are closed off, slowly becoming cutoff and that is exactly what we need to see a Historical East Coast Snowstorm all on the GFS. This is certainly an eye openning phase.... Easily 18 plus inches on this run given snow growth ratios and mesocale banding. IF this happens, we can safetly say, it would be the best Christmas in a long time.

A lot of other mets are already out with it, but I just want to put out there that this set up is waaaay better synoptically than the last one. Ignore the sfc low track and notice the H5 pattern. It's a lot closer to a major EC snow storm than this last threat was (esp w/ regards to the ridge in the west and 50/50 low in the east).

Strongly agree! That is a classic MECS signature on the H5 maps.

I have to say; that is a VERY impressive H500 signature. The downstream ridge behind the trough is absolutely beautiful; nearly classical of the Kocin-Uccellini events we had in the past; The H700 mb low is pretty ideal and the MJO is going into Phase 7, I believe which is very conductive for an East Coast Snowstorm. All the levels are closed off, slowly becoming cutoff and that is exactly what we need to see a Historical East Coast Snowstorm all on the GFS. This is certainly an eye openning phase.... Easily 18 plus inches on this run given snow growth ratios and mesocale banding.

Phase 7-- that is where the MJO was last December when we had the 12/19 hit.

DT still isnt on board with this. Believe the ridge axis in the rockies is too far east to allow for a bomb like the GFS. Lets hope the Euro shows it's possible regardless, and that the consistency keeps up.

He seems to be on board with some kind of accumuating snowstorm, just not a bomb. At this point, I think we should be happy for 4-8" if it doesnt bomb in time for us.

Archived