Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
NYC/PHL 12/21-12/22 Threat

hazwoper

• Replies 999
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would say this run is 3-6 hours away from giving I-95 a MECS. So you can all sleep happy tonight, the Euro and GFS both develop a sub 990mb low over the BM on Christmas Night.

yep.. and sleep sounds good right about now.. We have something to follow, at least. Both models have a fairly significant system around the same time frame and the pattern looks pretty good. We shall see. Later, folks! :)

My first year at rutgers had sponge break for the 93 super storm and ended it with winter break bliz of 96.

During my tenure at Rutgers from 2006-2010, we did not have a single appreciable/significant snow event in our area. Literally from ~12/21 to 1/20 for 4 years straight, no event of over 1-2". Pretty remarkable actually.

I know it will change and this isn't the final result, but it sure is something how central and northeast PA keeps getting punked even when there IS a good storm.

Central PA is really a unique kind of screwzone so many times it's not even funny. They very often miss the redeveloper storms because they dryslot the area when they bomb in time to nail our area and New England, they often get screwed by lake cutters with sleet/ice, and they sometimes get screwed by miller As that go too far east for them. The one kind of storm that often overproduces (west of the Susquehanna) are clippers, since the mountains enhance what snow they have left before they die off. That was the one kind of "money in the bank" storm I could count on at Penn State. Every other kind 9/10 was a screwjob.

Central PA is really a unique kind of screwzone so many times it's not even funny. They very often miss the redeveloper storms because they dryslot the area when they bomb in time to nail our area and New England, they often get screwed by lake cutters with sleet/ice, and they sometimes get screwed by miller As that go too far east for them. The one kind of storm that often overproduces (west of the Susquehanna) are clippers, since the mountains enhance what snow they have left before they die off. That was the one kind of "money in the bank" storm I could count on at Penn State. Every other kind 9/10 was a screwjob.

yea when I went to PSU I did some research on local snow climo and found that most of their average snowfall comes 1-3" at a time. Their probabilities of getting a snowfall of greater then 6" is actually very low comparitavely with other places that average over 40" of snow. For instance they average about 5" more then where I live now but the odds of me seeing a snowfall of 8" or more in a winter are probably greater where I live then State College. Its kinda a sucky place to be if you like big snowstorms. If you like to see a ton of 2" snows its heaven. People in that region complain way too much about what is actually their climo.

During my tenure at Rutgers from 2006-2010, we did not have a single appreciable/significant snow event in our area. Literally from ~12/21 to 1/20 for 4 years straight, no event of over 1-2". Pretty remarkable actually.

That is pretty remarkable considering if you were there during most of the least snowest years last decade. I'll never forget Feb 1994 when the state closed Rutgers for 3 days in a row because of the cold.

Archived