Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
NYC/PHL 12/21-12/22 Threat

hazwoper

• Replies 999
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He feels the GFS is over phasing the shortwaves and deepening the trough to much.

On what basis do you think a person could make that claim? I mean, a forecast model is not a human being. It doesn't make guesses. Sure, anybody can identify an outlier or an anomalous feature (maybe that's what he means), but nobody can out calculate a super computer.

Weird, seems like we're literally on the same wavelength. Strongly agree with your post.

Yeah, the pattern is pretty favorable and we're probably going to be disappointed if we can't pull an accumulating snow event out of this -NAO/AO/PNA spike considering it could be one of the best opportunities of this entire winter for big snows. Getting the PNA to spike in a strong nina is difficult and thus 10"+ events basically unheard of. This storm has the potential to do it but it could also be suppressed. Interesting tracking week ahead.

Not to be pessimistic, but again, we saw this type of run (historic in nature) 150 hours ago w/ this current "storm" And DT didn't buy that set up either..

It's a world apart different set up mister. +PNA with extreme ridging in Canada, and not too many factors have to come together just right and the right time like this more recent potential storm for it to work.

Been m.i.a for a while, after the dissapointing outcome of this weekend's solution, but seeing that norlun feature on guidance is providing some innate hope for some accumulating snows, especially for LI, as for NYC, maybe snow showers.

As for Christmas, if that PNA spike is real and persistent for that weekend, there is a def higher chance for a snowstorm, unlike this weekend. But there is always a fly in the soup.

It's a world apart different set up mister. +PNA with extreme ridging in Canada, and not too many factors have to come together just right and the right time like this more recent potential storm for it to work.

Technically won't make +PNA by CPC calculation standards, but we're transitioning from about -2.0/-2.2 to just under neutral, a pretty big jump and a definite Archambault signal for hvy pcpn event on the ec.

I feel like I'm repeating myself a bit, but the GFS has had accumulating snow for the past seven runs. For an inconsistent model, that is consistency that is rarely seen. It has to be picking up on something.

No, you have a point definitely. Except for the 18z GFS, every other run has had accumulating snows and a turn up the coast.

Larry Cosgrove also mentioned the strong signal coming from the models for X-mas weekend. Maybe the GFS is locked on and will ride it for the next several days....?

Well this event is certainly showing up on more consecutive runs than this current weekend storm. With that said, the signal could easily be lost as we approach the time period.

I feel like I'm repeating myself a bit, but the GFS has had accumulating snow for the past seven runs. For an inconsistent model, that is consistency that is rarely seen. It has to be picking up on something.

yes, and it can pick up on something in future runs that can turn this into a dud. So make sure you just take it as it is until a day or 2 before the event, especially this year.

Archived