Western heat wave

Chinook

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

RECORD EVENT REPORT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE SALT LAKE CITY UT

350 PM MDT SAT JUN 29 2013

...RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE FOR JUNE 29TH BROKEN IN SALT LAKE CITY...

THE HIGH TEMPERATURE SO FAR TODAY AT THE SALT LAKE CITY INTERNATIONAL

AIRPORT HAS BEEN 105 DEGREES. THIS BREAKS THE RECORD FOR THE DATE OF

104 DEGREES SET IN 1979. THIS ALSO TIES THE RECORD FOR THE MONTH OF JUNE

THAT WAS JUST SET YESTERDAY. PRIOR TO THIS YEAR...SALT LAKE CITY HAD

NEVER REACHED 105 DEGREES IN JUNE. WE HAVE NOW REACHED IT TWICE IN THE

LAST TWO DAYS.

yes, I realize this is just normal for the desert Southwest, but it is darned warm for us in the Central Time Zone.

SXUS74 KHGX 292228 AAA
RERHOU

RECORD EVENT REPORT...UPDATED
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE HOUSTON/GALVESTON TX
527 PM CDT SAT JUN 29 2013

...RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURES FOR THE DAY AND MONTH SET AT HOUSTON
INTERCONTINENTAL AND HOBBY AIRPORTS...

INTERCONTINENTAL AIRPORT TEMPERATURE MADE IT UP TO 107
DEGREES...WHICH IS THE NEW RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE FOR TODAY JUNE
29TH.  THE PREVIOUS RECORD FOR THE DAY WAS 103 DEGREES IN 2009.

THIS 107 DEGREE READING IS ALSO THE NEW RECORD FOR THE HIGHEST
TEMPERATURE IN JUNE. THE PREVIOUS RECORD WAS 105 DEGREES ON JUNE 5TH
AND 6TH IN 2011...AND 105 DEGREES ON JUNE 26TH IN 2009.

A RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE OF 105 DEGREES WAS SET AT HOUSTON/HOBBY
AIRPORT TODAY. THIS BREAKS THE OLD RECORD OF 100 SET IN 2009.

THIS 105 DEGREE READING IS ALSO THE NEW RECORD FOR THE HIGHEST
TEMPERATURE IN JUNE. THE PREVIOUS RECORD WAS 102 DEGREES ON JUNE
25TH AND 26TH OF 2012...AND JUNE 5TH OF 2011.

CRP, not far from the water, was also 107F.

Furnace Creek CA 7 Day Forecast

Las Vegas, NV

NWS Weather Forecast Office

TODAY

hot.png

Hot

High: 128 °F

TONIGHT

nfew.png

Mostly
Clear

Low: 97 °F

MONDAY

hot.png

Hot

High: 128 °F

MONDAY
NIGHT

nfew.png

Mostly
Clear

Low: 98 °F

TUESDAY

hot.png

Hot

High: 126 °F

TUESDAY
NIGHT

nfew.png

Mostly
Clear

Low: 98 °F

WEDNESDAY

hot.png

Hot

High: 127 °F

WEDNESDAY
NIGHT

nfew.png

Mostly
Clear

Low: 97 °F

INDEPENDENCE
DAY

hot.png

Hot

High: 125 °F

• TodaySunny and hot, with a high near 128. Calm wind becoming south around 5 mph in the afternoon.
  • TonightMostly clear, with a low around 97. South southeast wind 5 to 10 mph becoming light southeast after midnight.
  • MondaySunny and hot, with a high near 128. Light and variable wind.
  • Monday NightMostly clear, with a low around 98. South southeast wind around 5 mph.
  • TuesdaySunny and hot, with a high near 126. Light south wind.

I see somebody mentioned SLC broke the monthly record with a 105 and tied that record the next day. Last night the low was 80F at SLC which broke the June record maxmin and also tied the all-time record maxmin!

We also had some decent mostly dry lightning of which I am sure the clouds helped keep temps up.

http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/FXC/wxstory.php?wfo=vef&iname=weathergraphic2

128 in Death Valley yesterday, tying their June record.

Not only their June record but the US June record shared jointly with Lake Havasu City. Dewpoints in Yuma and the Imperial Valley in te 60's showing some low level moisture increase from the Sea of Cortez.

The link in the above post mentions the US & California June record is 129 at Volcano, CA. Also has a nice picture of the thermometer from yesterday.

FWIW, the Stevenson screen can heat the air a couple of degrees, and the ground surface at the thermometer location at Furnace Creek looks to have a bit more asphalt than the time of their 1913 record.

http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/FXC/wxstory.php?wfo=vef&iname=weathergraphic3

Make no mistake, 110 degrees in hot, but is it really that far from normal in Las Vegas?

Average high today is 103 in Vegas, so a high temp of 110 is just 7 degrees above normal. That's like my town having a high of 90 today, hot, but not that crazy.

I'm just laughing at the people interviewed on the major news outlets in Vegas, they act as if this is all that odd, its just 7 degrees above normal.

Make no mistake, 110 degrees in hot, but is it really that far from normal in Las Vegas?

Average high today is 103 in Vegas, so a high temp of 110 is just 7 degrees above normal. That's like my town having a high of 90 today, hot, but not that crazy.

I'm just laughing at the people interviewed on the major news outlets in Vegas, they act as if this is all that odd, its just 7 degrees above normal.

It was 117 in Vegas yesterday.  If the highest temperature ever recorded isn't odd, what is?

I don't remember which article it was, but guy at the Death Valley visitor center said that he was used to 110s, but once you get into the 120s it becomes difficult to breathe.  That is just a few degrees difference, from a guy who works in the hottest place in the world.

First Rim event of the 2013 monsoon brought boomers with gusts up to 68 mph in the Tucson area. Temp dropped from 108 to 81 in two hours. Dewpoints have been increasing in southern AZ. Tucson had its first ever June with highs 0f 100F or higher all 30 days.

Steve

It was 117 in Vegas yesterday.  If the highest temperature ever recorded isn't odd, what is?

I don't remember which article it was, but guy at the Death Valley visitor center said that he was used to 110s, but once you get into the 120s it becomes difficult to breathe.  That is just a few degrees difference, from a guy who works in the hottest place in the world.

The high temperature at the official long term Las Vegas climate station at McCarran International Airport has reached 117 degrees today, June 30th. This ties the all-time record high for Las Vegas first set on July 24, 1942 and tied on July 19, 2005. The previous all-time record high for June in Las Vegas was 116 degrees on June 15, 1940. Official records in Las Vegas date back to 1937.

I would imagine in places in the southwest the temperature variance in the summer covers a small range of temperatures. Similar to how places with a marine influence along the West Coast don't vary much in temperature during the summer. 7° above normal was enough to push LAS over the top.

Low of 102° at the Furnace Creek visitor center this morning. Already 111° at 9am PST.

Edit: +6° in one hour at LAS. 104°

Boise hit 110. That's got to be some sort of record.

Yep, by 6°. 104°, 1924.

Coeur D' Alene, ID set a record as well: 97°.

Not that impressive, maybe for Seattle though. 89° today.

Archived