Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Weekend Heavy Rain Threat

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kind of a moot point at this time but the 06z GFS had 4.17" of rain and KEWR vs the 06z NAM  showing 3.00". Can not remember the last time that the GFS had higher QPF forcasts than the NAM for the same run and the same location.

I'm thinking the heaviest totals set up over N NJ like they usually do in these setups. The low looks to crawl along or just off the coast, placing the max. convergence and uplift there. Probably 4-5" totals along I-287. More like 2-4" elsewhere. The rain on the north/east side looks impressive as well and should nail everyone through the afternoon/evening.

I'm thinking the heaviest totals set up over N NJ like they usually do in these setups. The low looks to crawl along or just off the coast, placing the max. convergence and uplift there. Probably 4-5" totals along I-287. More like 2-4" elsewhere. The rain on the north/east side looks impressive as well and should nail everyone through the afternoon/evening.

Yeah agreed, the problem is that all of the greatest flooding interests for that area fall between the Hudson River and I-287.

The 12z NAM has some elevated instability spreading north tonight: So there could be some t-storms with heavy rains this rain this. Especially over Central/Eastern LI

:a1ojh5.jpg

2ptnjbb.jpg

We could see some very impressive hourly rainfall rates when the core moves through tonight. Like you said, there

will be elevated convection that combines with near record PW's for early June. The models are printing out

2.21" vs the record of 2.27".

We could see some very impressive hourly rainfall rates when the core moves through tonight. Like you said, there

will be elevated convection that combines with near record PW's for early June. The models are printing out

2.21" vs the record of 2.27".

attachicon.gifJFK.gif

There should be some very impressive yet showery type rains along and east of the track that can generate 0.5"-1" very quickly. Like you said, the moisture content is certainly there. There might even be some that train along one area for a while, which would ratchet it up fast. If you look south of us, that is occurring in some places now.

If you have any doubts for later today, just check out the radar out of Dover Air Force Base. BWI-DCA area eastward getting hammered right now.

The rain area east of the center is more pronounced and longer lived than models seem to have shown or is typical with tropical storms heading to our latitude. We're all in for a soaking through at least the evening. Then we will have to see where the rain area currently over central NC ends up, and what showers and storms can fire east of that.

If you have any doubts for later today, just check out the radar out of Dover Air Force Base. BWI-DCA area eastward getting hammered right now.

Lol And that's only wave 2

- Wave 3 is even heavier

HRRR: I would not be surprised to see some of those cell in that line rotating.

There should be some very impressive yet showery type rains along and east of the track that can generate 0.5"-1" very quickly. Like you said, the moisture content is certainly there. There might even be some that train along one area for a while, which would ratchet it up fast. If you look south of us, that is occurring in some places now.

The amount of deep moisture available is really impressive. The forecast tonight of around 2.20" is very near the climo

maximum. You could see the rising moisture content on the 12z sounding.

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/unr/include/pw.php?sid=OKX&rt=yes

Archived