• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Storm Chasing and Media Coverage Ethics

Self-regulation may be the best way for us to bring about change.

If chasers/trackers, whether in it for the science or the thrills, abide by a set of guidelines or principles to earn membership, we can form a sort of 'trade group.'

Then, if CNN buys video from someone that's been ousted out of the Association or Group, then the Association or Group no longer sells it's video to CNN.

This would force CNN to buy footage that is captured by a set of guiding principles - footage that is far more common - than the yahoo in a metro area that goes out with his cell phone hanging out the window of his car.

It's in the best interest of all the experienced chasers out there to band together into a solid association or group that abides by a series of principles which regulate membership.

Association is a powerful form of regulation.

Zero chance. Where the storm chasing community felt relatively cohesive and cooperative even 5-7 years ago, it's quickly devolved into the ultimate competition between factions and "teams," at least among the biggest names and sellers to the media. Many hate one another far too passionately ever to enter into any sort of collective agreement, especially where compromise on media exposure may be required.

Not that I think chasing should be regulated or exclusive of those not recognized by the "elites," anyhow. There'd certainly be some benefits, as you pointed out, but it's not realistic for so many reasons.

• Replies 512
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Self-regulation may be the best way for us to bring about change.

If chasers/trackers, whether in it for the science or the thrills, abide by a set of guidelines or principles to earn membership, we can form a sort of 'trade group.'

Then, if CNN buys video from someone that's been ousted out of the Association or Group, then the Association or Group no longer sells it's video to CNN.

This would force CNN to buy footage that is captured by a set of guiding principles - footage that is far more common - than the yahoo in a metro area that goes out with his cell phone hanging out the window of his car.

It's in the best interest of all the experienced chasers out there to band together into a solid association or group that abides by a series of principles which regulate membership.

Association is a powerful form of regulation.

Zero chance. Where the storm chasing community felt relatively cohesive and cooperative even 5-7 years ago, it's quickly devolved into the ultimate competition between factions and "teams," at least among the biggest names and sellers to the media. Many hate one another far too passionately ever to enter into any sort of collective agreement, especially where compromise on media exposure may be required.

Not that I think chasing should be regulated or exclusive of those not recognized by the "elites," anyhow. There'd certainly be some benefits, as you pointed out, but it's not realistic for so many reasons.

I didn't realize the amount of competition... I do realize it's unrealistic, just wish the collective gains could be pooled to further research. Maybe the barometers coming out in new cell phones can be of some assistance in that regard.

I do think an army is stronger than individual groups of cowboys, but there seems to be too little financial/ investment capital available to organize that sort of a group or organization.

If only spotters were financially rewarded for confirmed reports in some way... It would be in the interests of insurance companies to lobby for that.

Saving lives saves them money, and they profit from volunteer time/effort.

Hopefully chasing/spotting can uncover some revenue stream other than vid clips getting sold to the MSM.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

I'm pretty sure there's a sampling bias in chasing fatalities though. A "yahoo" who goes out and chases on their own is far less likely to be identified as a chaser if they are killed. I think it's quite likely amateur chasers have been killed, but simply were not identified as such because they weren't known to the community or even those who knew them as chasers.

Apparently Samaras and Young weren't the only chasers killed -- another victim was an amateur chaser who sent his friend a picture of the tornado minutes before it killed him. Ugh.

http://newsok.com/article/3841315

And according to this article (http://newsok.com/oklahoma-tornadoes-why-did-so-many-people-flee-their-homes-friday/article/3841422/?page=1) the baby that was sucked out of the car was found alive but died while the emergency vehicles were trying to navigate through traffic. :( 

Apparently Samaras and Young weren't the only chasers killed -- another victim was an amateur chaser who sent his friend a picture of the tornado minutes before it killed him. Ugh.

http://newsok.com/article/3841315

And according to this article (http://newsok.com/oklahoma-tornadoes-why-did-so-many-people-flee-their-homes-friday/article/3841422/?page=1) the baby that was sucked out of the car was found alive but died while the emergency vehicles were trying to navigate through traffic. :(

I've been looking for any hints of a chase team or social media presence of this guy and I can't find one. Was this someone who was simply out there with a cell phone trying to get a picture?

I've been looking for any hints of a chase team or social media presence of this guy and I can't find one. Was this someone who was simply out there with a cell phone trying to get a picture?

It sounds that way based on the article. A lot has been made of differentiating Samaras/Young from "amateurs" and while that's true it is still tragic that this stuff happened, though perhaps not unexpected. 

Although this brings out an interesting side to the story -- it sounds like out of the 18 fatalities so far, 8 were in vehicles, but 4 of them seem to have been storm chasers (if I'm keeping count correctly). While 4 "civilian" deaths in vehicles is still far too many and the issue of inducing traffic by telling people to flee is apparent regardless of what the actual death toll was (e.g. we just got lucky that the tornadoes skipped over the highways), it sure does change the perspective on the situation a bit... 

Although this brings out an interesting side to the story -- it sounds like out of the 18 fatalities so far, 8 were in vehicles, but 4 of them seem to have been storm chasers (if I'm keeping count correctly). While 4 "civilian" deaths in vehicles is still far too many and the issue of inducing traffic by telling people to flee is apparent regardless of what the actual death toll was (e.g. we just got lucky that the tornadoes skipped over the highways), it sure does change the perspective on the situation a bit... 

Do chasers experience problems with people obstructing traffic by parking under a bridge to avoid damage to their car from hail?

Do chasers experience problems with people obstructing traffic by parking under a bridge to avoid damage to their car from hail?

I've heard stories mentioned along those lines, yes.

But if you want something even more facepalm-worthy -- http://kfor.com/2013/06/03/amateur-storm-chaser-survives-tornado-under-overpass/

Why even give these morons a news story or an ounce of credibility? I sincerely hope they meant it when they said it'd be their last chase. OU doesn't need people like that affiliated with it. /rant

Sheesh, $116 and you can watch it on Netflix for $8/month. 

If anything it's not all bad as it gets people interested in meteorology and adds awareness to how destructive tornadoes can be. The downside is people thinking they can chase like the pros and getting themselves in bad situations since it looks so 'easy' on the television. Today's amateurs are tomorrow's pros though.

Watched the Storm Chasers episode with Twistex's probe intercept of the Bowdle tornado last night, man were they excited and joyful when they looked behind them and it was in it...and then the awe of the tornado itself as they watched it take down the high-tension lines/transmission towers like a house of cards. :cry:

Also have Tim's video from that tornado and the Kanopolis Lake tornado saved on my laptop.

But if you want something even more facepalm-worthy -- http://kfor.com/2013/06/03/amateur-storm-chaser-survives-tornado-under-overpass/

Why even give these morons a news story or an ounce of credibility? I sincerely hope they meant it when they said it'd be their last chase. OU doesn't need people like that affiliated with it. /rant

Because it's KFOR.

It might be worth it if they edited out all of Reed Timmer's endless screaming hissy fits. There's nothing quite as grating as hearing Reed's screaming.

As for the article regarding the overpass, I did notice that the chaser stated he'll no longer chase. That's a good thing there and maybe it will deter others as well. There's always gonna be the bubbas who jump in their truck simply to go see the tornado and try to catch that video. My theory: If they're dumb enough to go follow a tornado on a whim with no training or knowledge of meteorology, then the rest of their decisions probably aren't going to be very intelligent either.

Agreed.  Calling attention to it will just mean more people doing the same stupid thing.  

Last night and this morning on Twitter, Jim Cantore is blaming what happened to Twistex on Sean Casey and the TIV, saying the video they captured last week in Kansas emboldened and endangered others and encouraged oneupsmanship in the community of chasers and wannabe chasers.

Of course, this is the same Jim Cantore that has been riding with Reed in the Dominator all season.   <_<

If I was Sean Casey, I'd be pissed. It's not his fault that Tim died. Geesh

Agreed.   This conversation is still in its infancy on Twitter, but think things will be coming to a head quickly (privately, if not publicly).   I also called out Jim about when he'd be condeming Bettes for his actions on Friday, curiously quite on that front so far.

So far anyone disagreeing with Jim has been dismissed by him as a poor listener, or just uninformed.   It's disgusting and pathetic.  Can't imagine how Sean, who called Tim a friend, feels.   

Last night and this morning on Twitter, Jim Cantore is blaming what happened to Twistex on Sean Casey and the TIV, saying the video they captured last week in Kansas emboldened and endangered others and encouraged oneupsmanship in the community of chasers and wannabe chasers.

Of course, this is the same Jim Cantore that has been riding with Reed in the Dominator all season.   <_<

It really seems like TWC is trying to deflect any type of blame off themselves. The problem? THEY BOUGHT THE VIDEO FROM THE TIV. If you continue to line the pockets of those who get "too close" to tornadoes, you are rewarding and encouraging the behavior. People will compete to get the money shot and collect. This goes for any channel, not just TWC.

That's pathetic, I mean c'mon look in the mirror for once.

Maybe it's the extreme cynic in me, but I think whenever you hear a talking head make controversial comments on-air, you have to put them in their proper context and perspective: they're likely canned and scripted, potentially even by the station's management or producers. That's why I wasn't all that outraged to see Mike Bettes, presenter of the infamous "Open Mike" segment after 11/7/11 condemning Andy G. and others, get rolled last week. I doubt that Mike Bettes, the human, was personally compelled to pen that diatribe and read it on-air. At best, it was probably something partially inspired by his real convictions that he wrote at the behest of producers. At worst, and perhaps more likely, it was simply written by said producers and handed to him half an hour before showtime.

And so, I assume, it is with Cantore's latest comments. He has to know how inanely hypocritical and disingenuous the whole thing seems, in light of not only the Tornado Hunters becoming the Hunted last week, but the subsequent half-assed TWC coverup of the driver's life-threatening injuries. The anger ought to be directed toward the management at TWC, rather than the figureheads; at least, any anger over the content we're seeing. Anger directed toward Bettes and Cantore might better be focused on their willingness to sell out their dignity and intellect for tidy salaries.

Really Cantore, it was TWC that helped pioneer storm video and has done nothing for decades but promote in the storms face video. What of your standing and yelling from live shots of an approaching hurricane. And you are going to blame Casey and his movie shots. As the data became clear on this event there is no question it was out of the norm, and I think that many of us knew this would happen someday. The fact that we have not lost researchers before speaks to the safety they exercise.

To lay blame on others for what happened to Tim is wrong. I would expect to never see you live on any storm again Jim, thunder snow is dangerous..........

It really seems like TWC is trying to deflect any type of blame off themselves. The problem? THEY BOUGHT THE VIDEO FROM THE TIV. If you continue to line the pockets of those who get "too close" to tornadoes, you are rewarding and encouraging the behavior. People will compete to get the money shot and collect. This goes for any channel, not just TWC.

I've lost a ton of respect for Cantore in the last couple of years.  TWC is a whole different story but Cantore's comments in that video were embarrassingly hypocritical.

Archived