Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
OKC KFOR

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The hype fest permeates the entirety of American society these days.  I've seen it everywhere.

Yesterday is a clear example of this from the chaser community (not to mention TWC and KFOR).

I'm embarrassed for the weather community given that responsible chasers are going to be lumped in with the morons who ride into tornadoes in the name of getting a great video.

I watched KFOR a good 3 hours, before switching over to News 9 last night and those comments saying get in your cars and drive away from the tornado path was probably the most irresponsible statement I have ever heard. It's a darn good thing this tornado wasn't stronger into the more urban areas, because there would have been a lot more cars blown off the road. 

Now statements saying stay away from the area or drive (if you're on the road already) around an area to avoid the TOG are fine, but to tell people to leave there homes or businesses and hit the road was just unbelievable!

after that statement in the video that was aired, Morgan needs to be fired. One of the most irresponsible things I've heard. Ever.

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/oun/?n=events-20130531

23 high water rescues last night.

https://twitter.com/pmarshwx/status/340894680910798848

7 of 9 deaths occurred from folks in vehicles.

I don't get too hysterical and froth about sh*t like this but if KFOR has any integrity they can Morgan over the weekend after that statement. 

Yesterday's outbreak was a classic example of one you shouldn't chase.

Very Wide

Multivortex 

Rain Wrapped

Very erratic moving.

In a  populated area during rush hour.

This was an idea recipe fro chasers to get t killed hurt just make a big ass of themselves.

Quite a few of them did the last two of those things. 

It's getting real now. Gary England is retweeting people saying Mike Morgan should get fired.

100% agree with this.

I usually stay out of stuff like that because I don't want to see someone loose their livelihood, but this tool is going to get someone killed.

Cynthia Nichols @CynthiaNichols 3h

@kwomack1984 @garyeOK Yep. Sensationalism has no place when it endangers people's lives. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSxLZmASB9Q 

100% agree with this.

I usually stay out of stuff like that because I don't want to see someone loose their livelihood, but this tool is going to get someone killed.

For all we know, he might have already.  Weren't 7 of the 9 fatalities in vehicles?

With their ratings as good as they are during storm coverage... he's not going anywhere. I can't believe they beat KWTV during the Moore storm... but they did. 

That said... a consistent message is vital. Emergency managers/government officials should start an education campaign about the dangers of fleeing a tornado and to not listen to advice to the contrary. 

For all we know, he might have already.  Weren't 7 of the 9 fatalities in vehicles?

That would be correct, it kind of scares me with all of the road issues recently. The Shawnee tornado tossing 18 wheelers off of I-40, the traffic jam on Santa Fe Ave with the Moore tornado approaching, and now this. I believe all 9 fatalities occurred with the wedge near El Reno yesterday (in a relatively rural area compared to further east), imagine that strength of tornado rampaging into the metro with every major road in the city clogged with traffic like we saw, partly due to Morgan's lack of common sense.

There were also a number of fatalities on roads with the El Reno EF5 on 5/24/11.

Reading this is scary....  http://news.yahoo.com/frightened-okla-residents-opt-flee-tornadoes-193124867.html

OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) — It's a warning as familiar as a daily prayer for Tornado Alley residents: When a twister approaches, take shelter in a basement or low-level interior room or closet, away from windows and exterior walls.

But with the powerful devastation from the May 20 twister that killed 24 and pummeled the Oklahoma City suburb of Moore still etched in their minds, many Oklahomans instead opted to flee Friday night when a violent tornado developed and headed toward the state's capital city.

It was a dangerous decision to make.

Interstates and roadways already packed with rush-hour traffic quickly became parking lots as people tried to escape the oncoming storm. Motorists were trapped in their vehicles — a place emergency officials say is one of the worst to be in a tornado.

"It was chaos. People were going southbound in the northbound lanes. Everybody was running for their lives," said Terri Black, 51, a teacher's assistant in Moore.

After seeing last month's tornado also turn homes into piles of splintered rubble, Black said she decided to try and outrun the tornado when she learned her southwest Oklahoma City home was in harm's way. She quickly regretted it.

When she realized she was a sitting duck in bumper-to-bumper traffic, Black turned around and found herself directly in the path of the most violent part of the storm.

"My car was actually lifted off the road and then set back down," Black said. "The trees were leaning literally to the ground. The rain was coming down horizontally in front of my car. Big blue trash cans were being tossed around like a piece of paper in the wind.

"I'll never do it again."

Oklahoma Highway Patrol Trooper Betsy Randolph said the roadways were quickly congested with the convergence of rush-hour traffic and fleeing residents.

"They had no place to go, and that's always a bad thing. They were essentially targets just waiting for a tornado to touch down," Randolph said. "I'm not sure why people do that sort of stuff, but it is very dangerous. It not only puts them in harm's way, but it adds to the congestion. It really is a bad idea for folks to do."

At least nine people were killed in Friday's storms, including a mother and her baby sucked out of their car as a deadly twister tore its way along a packed Interstate 40 near the town of El Reno, about 30 miles from Oklahoma City.

A 4-year-old boy died after being swept into the Oklahoma River on the south side of Oklahoma City, said Oklahoma City police Lt. Jay Barnett. The boy and other family members had sought shelter in a drainage ditch.

More than 100 people were injured, most of those from punctures and lacerations from swirling debris, emergency officials reported.

Oklahoma wasn't the only state to see violent weather on Friday night. In Missouri, areas west of St. Louis received significant damage from an EF3 tornado that packed estimated winds of 150 mph. In St. Charles County, at least 71 homes were heavily damaged and 100 had slight to moderate damage, county spokeswoman Colene McEntee said.

Tens of thousands were without power, and only eight minor injuries were reported. Gov. Jay Nixon declared a state of emergency.

Northeast of St. Louis and across the Mississippi, the city of Roxana was hit by an EF3 tornado as well, but National Weather Service meteorologist Jayson Gosselin said it wasn't clear whether the damage in both states came from the same EF3 twister or separate ones.

Back in Oklahoma, Amy Williamson, who lives just off I-40 in the western Oklahoma City suburb of Yukon, said when she learned the tornado was moving toward her home, she piled her two young children, baby sitter and two cats into her SUV.

"We felt like getting out of the way was the best idea," Williamson said. "It was 15 minutes away from my house, and they were saying it was coming right down I-40, so we got in the car and decided to head south."

Williamson said she knows emergency officials recommend taking shelter inside a structure, but fresh in her mind was the devastation of the Moore tornado. Seeing homes stripped to their foundation made her think that fleeing was the best idea, she said.

"I'm a seasoned tornado watcher ... but I just could not see staying and waiting for it to hit," she said. She ended up riding out the storm in a hospital parking garage.

On Saturday, muddy floodwaters stood several feet deep in the countryside surrounding the metro area. Torrential downpours followed for hours after the twisters moved east — up to 7 inches of rain in some parts — and the city's airport had water damage. Some flights resumed Saturday.

The Oklahoma County Sheriff's Office said the body of a man who went missing from his vehicle early Saturday near Harrah, east of Oklahoma City, was found later in a creek by deputies. Roadways around the area were crumbling because of water, especially near an intersection in northeastern Oklahoma City and in Canadian County south of I-40, between Mustang and Yukon.

When the storm passed between El Reno and Yukon, it barreled down I-40 for more than two miles, ripping billboards down to twisted metal frames. Debris was tangled in the median's crossover barriers, including huge pieces of sheet metal, tree limbs and a giant oil drum. The warped remains of a horse trailer lay atop a barbed-wire fence less than 50 yards from the highway.

The Oklahoma Corporation Commission reported more than 91,800 homes and businesses across the state remained without power Saturday.

With their ratings as good as they are during storm coverage... he's not going anywhere. I can't believe they beat KWTV during the Moore storm... but they did. 

That said... a consistent message is vital. Emergency managers/government officials should start an education campaign about the dangers of fleeing a tornado and to not listen to advice to the contrary. 

Unfortunately decades of basic tornado safety education is being unraveled by this moron and people giving out similar advice.

It should also be reiterated that this guy has the radar interpretation skills of basic severe weather enthusiast (if that).  He has called multiple features TDSs, hooks, etc when it was very obvious that they were not.

...and that's what's embarrassing about this.  Ratings > public good.

From the earth sky site. Most of the people who went to the basement survived.

http://earthsky.org/earth/lesson-from-fridays-storm-deaths-when-weather-is-bad-stay-home

As a factual statement, claiming that EF5 tornadoes can’t be survived above ground is wrong. After the 3 May 1999 tornado that hit Moore, Oklahoma, survey work indicated that 1% of people who were in houses that were rated F4 or F5 were killed, as reported by Hammer and Schmidlin. They don’t differentiate between the F4 and F5 in the paper, but it is exceedingly unlikely that all of the people in F5 homes died. In the 20 May 2013 tornado, the Briarwood Elementary School was rated EF5 and there were no fatalities there … Violent tornadoes are very dangerous, but they do not bring certain death.

after that statement in the video that was aired, Morgan needs to be fired. One of the most irresponsible things I've heard. Ever.

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/oun/?n=events-20130531

23 high water rescues last night.

https://twitter.com/pmarshwx/status/340894680910798848

7 of 9 deaths occurred from folks in vehicles.

I don't get too hysterical and froth about sh*t like this but if KFOR has any integrity they can Morgan over the weekend after that statement. 

Any word on whether he will face any repercussions at all?  He may have led people to their deaths.  I was watching TWC when they were showing the local KFOR stuff and couldn't believe he was directing people to get out and drive.

Archived