• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
OKC KFOR

Anyone else astonished at how horrible this Mike Morgan guy is?  How does this guy have a NWA certification?

Among other things, he just instructed viewers to get in their car and try to outrun a multivortex wedge tornado (no, I am not kidding).  He also has not clue what rotation looks like on radar and I have to wonder if he even knows what a mesocyclone is.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

During last year's hailstorm in OKC, they were airing/posting on their website the Vivian SD hailstone and saying it was from NW OKC. I posted a comment (through FB) on the page that had that hailstone saying it was from SD with a link. It was deleted and I got a message saying to stop posting because it was "helping tell the story". If I lived in that area, I'd never watch that channel. 

I was watching streaming video from that station tonight. I'm not sure who the guy was, but he took it upon himself to give the storms an EF scale rating while they were forming.

Very annoying to say the least.  It annoys me when they do it at all, but as the storm is organizing?  Give me a break.

for the long timers-- that is a big bag of WTF.  That's is completely horrible. 

During last year's hailstorm in OKC, they were airing/posting on their website the Vivian SD hailstone and saying it was from NW OKC. I posted a comment (through FB) on the page that had that hailstone saying it was from SD with a link. It was deleted and I got a message saying to stop posting because it was "helping tell the story". If I lived in that area, I'd never watch that channel. 

I just heard one of those tv folks say this was the worst tornado in the history of the world.  Why would you feel the need to hype a storm you can clearly see was as bad as bad can be?  Are brains at a premium  on the air?  T

Yes brains are at a premium on TV.  Have you ever worked with TV on air types?  Let's just say most of them's back up career choice was not rocket scientist.

Secondly media today is nothing more then a hype machine.  The bigger the hype (lie) the more viewers turn in.  The only thing that matters to the media today is if they can get people talking about them. 

What did he do that was so bad today? I heard him say if you're not underground you won't survive this tornado during the live coverage. He gave people a 15 minute warning to get outta the way and was calling it an ef4 at least by the debris signature. Looks like on all counts, he was darn accurate.

Anyone else astonished at how horrible this Mike Morgan guy is?  How does this guy have a NWA certification?

Among other things, he just instructed viewers to get in their car and try to outrun a multivortex wedge tornado (no, I am not kidding).  He also has not clue what rotation looks like on radar and I have to wonder if he even knows what a mesocyclone is.

I was watching streaming video from that station tonight. I'm not sure who the guy was, but he took it upon himself to give the storms an EF scale rating while they were forming.

I just heard one of those tv folks say this was the worst tornado in the history of the world.  Why would you feel the need to hype a storm you can clearly see was as bad as bad can be?  Are brains at a premium  on the air?  T

What did he do that was so bad today? I heard him say if you're not underground you won't survive this tornado during the live coverage. He gave people a 15 minute warning to get outta the way and was calling it an ef4 at least by the debris signature. Looks like on all counts, he was darn accurate.

See above.  IMHO

Based on what he was calling a "debis ball" yesterday, I can assure that he does not know what a TDS is.

I didn't see the clip but I hope he at least said if they had no under ground shelter?  Me, as a weather nerd would have run as soon as I saw the debris ball.  The general public wouldn't know what to do though; except get stuck in traffic.  I'm kind of torn between his advice and staying in doors (inside a house).  Do you think he meant well?  I mean this death toll we are now realizing is going to be astronomical and anyone above had almost no chance. ;/

I guess what I'm trying to say is if you know your N,S,E,W and you had a radar/phone and knew which way to go.. I think running was the very best option in this situation with advanced warning. (On back roads away from major highways and interstates).  I can't talk for the general public though.

I didn't see the clip but I hope he at least said if they had no under ground shelter? Me, as a weather nerd would have run as soon as I saw the debris ball. The general public wouldn't know what to do though; except get stuck in traffic. I'm kind of torn between his advice and staying in doors (inside a house). Do you think he meant well? I mean this death toll we are now realizing is going to be astronomical and anyone above had almost no chance. ;/

I guess what I'm trying to say is if you know your N,S,E,W and you had a radar/phone and knew which way to go.. I think running was the very best option in this situation with advanced warning. (On back roads away from major highways and interstates). I can't talk for the general public though.

I view the flee/not flee as one of those "do as I say, not as I do" things. If I'm ever in that situation without being able to get underground, I'm getting out of dodge. But I'm not sure I'd trust some of my family/friends to leave safely, and from a mass public action standpoint, it's potentially a very bad idea given that it could put people in harms way who may otherwise survive by staying at home. This is a difficult subject for sure. How should TV mets and others go about advising the public in these types of extreme scenarios where the probability of dying in your home is substantially higher than your average tornado?

I view the flee/not flee as one of those "do as I say, not as I do" things. If I'm ever in that situation without being able to get underground, I'm getting out of dodge. But I'm not sure I'd trust some of my family/friends to leave safely, and from a mass public action standpoint, it's potentially a very bad idea given that it could put people in harms way who may otherwise survive by staying at home. This is a difficult subject for sure. How should TV mets and others go about advising the public in these types of extreme scenarios where the probability of dying in your home is substantially higher than your average tornado?

I personally think in the end, it all comes down to us being weather nerds and the general public (who goes to Wal-Mart/the mall with an active tornado warning) not knowing any better. I'm not sure how else to convince the general public to have good plans in place even with the coverage TWC has had on these things lately.  I think so many events have been overhyped in the past, that the human sense of fear against mother nature is a lot less potent these days.  Maybe today woke a lot of America up, if anything good at all can come of it.

My girlfriend knows nothing of weather.  She's learned a good bit from what I do know and have taught her.. but still goes to work every day.  We have a system in place that if she gets two texts back to back in her pocket and then a third soon after, that means she needs to leave that glass pos building and come home asap, even if she's getting fired.  Thankfully I haven't had to use that yet.

I live here in SC (luckily) we don't get much in the way of damaging tornados.  They've been around, but nothing like tornado alley and some of it's outskirts.  I know people here (with the weak infastructure/building codes/slow reporting) we have that decide to go eat at McDonalds in a tornado watch/warning.  Around here, most aren't the smartest and it mystifies me how they toy with mother nature.  I was 11 or 12 when I was stuck in my first tornado, ever since I've loved weather.  Around here, it seemed like the local news papers just wanted to make a buck on "special editions" of the "thank god we survived" papers.  I guess what I mean by this post is people will always claim to "never see it coming" even if they're warned days in advance.

I could post a book on my feelings, but thats what I believe, and it's easier to just keep it shorter.  I think people like Spann can and will have better points about warning systems, shelter systems, government funding, etc.  I just hope people start to realise that mother nature won't stop her plans to cater for their everyday lives.  Although innocent children were killed today and it's not their faults, the point of knowing where to go, how to drive there, and how to read radar by adults WAY before an event even unfolds would help immensley.  I always thought even here in SC, I'd like it if school forced you to learn what clouds were what, what a funnel vs tornado was, the basics of forecastings, etc to graduate.  That day will never come I'm sure.

To add to that last paragraph, lets say I am a random person who knows nothing about weather.  Now if a met on tv told me to get in my car and leave, I had 15 minutes to get away, I'd ignore it most likely.  I wouldn't know better.  BUT if I had a class in school to teach me all my "weather directions", how to read a radar, what a "storm cell looked like" etc.. I'd be much more likely to see their image on tv and say OH NO and run before I had a chance to get caught in traffic.  But like I said, it's a whole different topic.  It basically comes down to one's knowledge and I believe public school systems could help this situation immensely.

Not to downplay it, but I'm sure he was using his hype-calculator.  He may be right.  No way to know at this point, though.

Yeah I'm sure this will end up as a billion dollar disaster, but to say it is unequivocally more expensive than Joplin is very premature.

Not to downplay it, but I'm sure he was using his hype-calculator.  He may be right.  No way to know at this point, though.

This. The fact that he was so positive of the "fact" is what bothered me.

Of course, he's been saying all along (also unequivocally) that this is "three times worse than 1999". How he came up with such a number, I have no idea.

Of course, he's been saying all along (also unequivocally) that this is "three times worse than 1999". How he came up with such a number, I have no idea.

Not that this was the right interpretation, but I've heard many reports that the damage swath is 3 times as extensive in Moore as 5/3/99. That is probably what he meant by "worse". (I also don't know how true that is, but it is what I've been hearing, especially because of the differences in track between the two). 

As to fleeing, he did say to do so IF you can't get underground. I don't have much thought either way on if that is good advice -- it is easy to say it is awful advice as you don't want people on the roads, but if you know the tornado is epic and being above ground, even in an interior room, is not at all sufficient, I'm not sure how you could recommend people stay in place in good conscience. I dunno. 

I've heard some terrible stuff on the radio here the past few days -- assigning EF ratings as it was happening, more or less promising people tornadoes (thinking of here in Norman, in particular, where it didn't materialize until it was out of urbanized Norman), calling things a "tornado in the sky", etc. But for all of the awful things they've said, they've also undoubtedly saved a lot of lives. I scoffed audibly when the radio announcers bragged about Mike Morgan calling this "minutes before the warning went out" because this is not the time at ALL to be saying such a thing, but their minute-by-minute coverage of the tornadoes location undoubtedly saved lives. 

I disagree.  2.75 times at most.

Not that this was the right interpretation, but I've heard many reports that the damage swath is 3 times as extensive in Moore as 5/3/99. That is probably what he meant by "worse". (I also don't know how true that is, but it is what I've been hearing, especially because of the differences in track between the two). 

Right, but that was my point. First, he needs to be clear and not just say "worse"... say "wider", it's way more accurate, way more informative, and gets the point across just fine. Second, I also don't know how true it is, and am quite skeptical that it's actually an accurate statement.

Right, but that was my point. First, he needs to be clear and not just say "worse"... say "wider", it's way more accurate, way more informative, and gets the point across just fine. Second, I also don't know how true it is, and am quite skeptical that it's actually an accurate statement.

Agree on both counts. (One wonders, when the damage is this severe, how you'd quantify which is "worse"...)

Archived