joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The early speculation on winter 2013-14

weathafella

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well in fairness, we did get a significant accumulating snow event on November 7th last year...so he could be referring to that as winter "starting early"...and the month was pretty cold.

But December certainly was a torch and the bulk of the seasonal snowfall fell in February and March.

for you that is ideal for CT 

Ehh that was tongue-in-cheek, haha.

I'd never be worried or even seriously consider a CFS forecast from July.  Plus those anomalies are soooo small (like -0.5C) at H85 that it would probably be business as usual in the northeast. 

Its going to snow up here this winter, that's a definite.

Ehh that was tongue-in-cheek, haha.

I'd never be worried or even seriously consider a CFS forecast from July.  Plus those anomalies are soooo small (like -0.5C) at H85 that it would probably be business as usual in the northeast. 

Its going to snow up here this winter, that's a definite.

no doubt but hey lets see how the model does. I am on Jerrys train this year, voodoo weenies do that ya know, we know nothing

Yea, with the exception of the south coast and the cape, all of New England's snowfall is more highly correlated to precipitation, than it is temperature.

From the s coast points southward, that changes.

Get me some miller Bs and Noreasters and then we will worry whether Jerrys elephant is back shiiting on us. Honestly the way its setting up I am very encouraged .

The QBO looks a little tough for me as far as blocking goes unless we have solar bombardment. But, it may be in the stages of switching in the higher altitudes. Not sure that I'm feeling all warm and fuzzy for this winter, but as last winter shows us...it can always be a tale of two winters.

Back to back neutrals are fairly rare but have a good shot at doing it this year. Last time we had back to back neutral winters was 1992-1993 and 1993-1994. Of course, we loved those winters (if you like snow and cold) but that was a post-Pinatubo along with +PDO regime. So can't really compare them.

Back to back neutrals are fairly rare but have a good shot at doing it this year. Last time we had back to back neutral winters was 1992-1993 and 1993-1994. Of course, we loved those winters (if you like snow and cold) but that was a post-Pinatubo along with +PDO regime. So can't really compare them.

Well....this was KIND OF 1992-93 esque.  Can 1993-94 blow the door down around 12/27/13?

anomnight.7.11.2013.gif

Well....this was KIND OF 1992-93 esque.  Can 1993-94 blow the door down around 12/27/13?

anomnight.7.11.2013.gif

Still a lot of warm water SW of the Aleutians though which is a signature of a -PDO...so the warm GOA isn't the only factor. It basically just makes the PDO neutral at the moment.

Looks like a reverse tripole is setting up in the Atlantic too...cold waters up near Greenland and then again down near the tropics with a band of warmer in the mid-latitudes...that is opposite of recent years. The current setup would typically favor a +NAO for the winter though the correlation in July is weak.

Still a lot of warm water SW of the Aleutians though which is a signature of a -PDO...so the warm GOA isn't the only factor. It basically just makes the PDO neutral at the moment.

Looks like a reverse tripole is setting up in the Atlantic too...cold waters up near Greenland and then again down near the tropics with a band of warmer in the mid-latitudes...that is opposite of recent years. The current setup would typically favor a +NAO for the winter though the correlation in July is weak.

North Pacific SSTs have warmed a lot though in recent months...

Archived