• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The early speculation on winter 2013-14

weathafella

The March 6-8 thread is pretty funny. I was wrapped in yellow flags on the 6th, but then took them off one by one to be fully nude by late aftn on the 7th.

I'll have to re-read that one...love the threads for storms, where the forecast is so uncertain, then the storm goes big time when verification comes.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The March 6-8 thread is pretty funny. I was wrapped in yellow flags on the 6th, but then took them off one by one to be fully nude by late aftn on the 7th.

Never forget that storm... ended up staying up all night as the snow just kept coming and coming. 

22" here, but 4" just a few towns West of here, lol, never ending heavy echos.

Never forget that storm... ended up staying up all night as the snow just kept coming and coming. 

22" here, but 4" just a few towns West of here, lol, never ending heavy echos.

You guys had some sort of mesoscale banding. It kept redeveloping over you guys. Part of me thinks it was fascilitated by the s/w over NY state. Either that, or just upglide moving away from that dryslot over RI.

That 3/6-8 storm was a classic case of thinking that the models may be underdone (I know I was really bullish on this storm) but even taking that into account, you STILL end up way too conservative. That firehose was on all model guidance, yet we sometimes get too attached to the QPF output.

I think after looking back on this, I didn't even listen to my own teachings. It was fully saturated at H7. When that happens...ignore the QPF and know it will snow. Like I tell MPM when it's fully saturated between 700 and 500mb and he's nervous because models spit out 0.4" QPF....just except that it will pound. I started getting excited late night heading into the 7th and maybe thinking 3-6 but still unsure. The 07/12z runs solified it for me as far as winter storm type deals, but still had no idea I would get about 18". Like Will said, respect the firehose. Temps weren't even the issue verbatim.

I think after looking back on this, I didn't even listen to my own teachings. It was fully saturated at H7. When that happens...ignore the QPF and know it will snow. Like I tell MPM when it's fully saturated between 700 and 500mb and he's nervous because models spit out 0.4" QPF....just except that it will pound. I started getting excited late night heading into the 7th and maybe thinking 3-6 but still unsure. The 07/12z runs solified it for me as far as winter storm type deals, but still had no idea I would get about 18". Like Will said, respect the firehose. Temps weren't even the issue verbatim.

SE MA and ORH definitely looked nice even on the 6th, but a b**ch of a forecast for BOS. Still, lesson learned when the classic climo signals are there.

Jerry will like this. Early analog for me, 62-63

Weird in that I can't remember that being specifically snowy. BOS had a dead ratter snow year as did PVD with both around 30 inches.

I was in 10th grade. I'm thinking more along the 1995-96 lines...seriously.

My bad, I edited it.

I had a date with a local hottie 12/31/63. I remember the snow crunching under my feet walking up the path to her house...the squeaky cold wx snow. A few weeks later we had a major snow that shut us down for a couple of days. Fun times ahead.

All I remember is a lot of posts from Scooter pissing and moaning but it seemed great to me, maybe it was last year before our epic run.

Yeah last year was rough in the first half for him. I'd be getting 5-6 and he a few miles away had an inch of slop in some systems.

Nah 10-11 was huge with BOS clocking 81 and I think DOT at least that much.

10-11 was just a crushing. I was in framingham and saw 95

In some regards being a snow lover in bos is akin to being a severe wx lover in western sne. Ya you get yours sometimes but so many times you are left drooling over what they get elsewhere (i.e plains (svr) and mountains (snow). Its not a perfect analogy bc i know we score many more KU's but bein a snow lover on the cp of sne is full of heart ache

Nah 10-11 was huge with BOS clocking 81 and I think DOT at least that much. 10-11 was just a crushing. I was in framingham and saw 95

In some regards being a snow lover in bos is akin to being a severe wx lover in western sne. Ya you get yours sometimes but so many times you are left drooling over what they get elsewhere (i.e plains (svr) and mountains (snow). Its not a perfect analogy bc i know we score many more KU's but bein a snow lover on the cp of sne is full of heart ache

Good post. I think of the big life picture and accept it. But I also avoid living within a mile of the water to improve my odds a little. Thinking of moving to Newton in the spring/early summer next year. That will buy an xtra 5-10 inches.

Good post. I think of the big life picture and accept it. But I also avoid living within a mile of the water to improve my odds a little. Thinking of moving to Newton in the spring/early summer next year. That will buy an xtra 5-10 inches.

Jerry we clearly have a sickness lol

On realtor.com fayston vt has a few propertys within 2-3 miles of the n greens spine. 1 is at 1850' elevation. :)

Archived