CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
May 4-6 SE Soaker, Discussion & OBS....

NavarreDon

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not to mention steady gusts to 45mph over the last couple days along the coast.  Feels like a tropical system with the shower bands racing east to west.  All we need is the mugginess.

Not the best beach weather! What are the wave heights out there?

I was wondering if someone would create a post... :-)

It's been very windy here for the past two days, with clouds and drizzle/light rain. It feels like March, not May. The big rain  should be starting for us in a few hours, with 3 - 4.5" of rain expected through Monday. 850 mb temps had 0º all the way into Louisiana yesterday and 500 mb temps are -27C in MAY!

Crazy weather but I'm not complaining. We've broken the drought here in Georgia and the lakes are full. Lanier is the highest it's been in several years. (Percent of normal rainfall for the SE) And at least we haven't been cooked like we were this time last spring. 

Really? Guess we need a thread for all rain events now. 

By the way, Duke Energy has already released water out of dams in much of the region, mostly south-west NC well in advance to negate some of the flooding.

Ya i think we do.....The skies have healed sufficiently enough that they might wreck havoc! :axe:

Thread should say May 4-6 NC and SC and N GA soaker. It's almost over for us down here and FL. 2.18 for the event. Woohoo almost the entire months average and the month just started! Today we might get to the 3 inch mark if we can get under one of those heavier storms. Today is different in the fact that there will be storms instead of plain rain like the other days. Anyhow you guys enjoy your cutoff low. These things are fun.

Currently rain.

Well, Meteostar is offering me around 2.8, so I hope some trains can find my yard.  I'd like to see a lot more than that.  Sure am loving this spring...best in years and years...and it just keeps giving.  Had great winds today, and it's in the 50's now.  Hard to beat that for May, but I'm expecting to see 40's coming up.  Shiny!!!  T

Amen, Tony!  I couldn't agree more.  I have yet to break 50 F this morning at my homestead.  Wowza!

If you are looking for hot weather for the middle of the month then keep looking. Both the Euro and GFS are advertising a pretty strong shot of cooler air towards the middle of the month again after this system. Man I love how this spring is going.

Most definitely, '85!

The chill is in the air this morning.  I'm ready and waiting for the following progression.  I've been at stage one for the last several days.

Clouds --> drizzle --> showers --> downpours --> tropical flooding!  (Okay, maybe not the flooding...)

:loon:

Really? Guess we need a thread for all rain events now. 

By the way, Duke Energy has already released water out of dams in much of the region, mostly south-west NC well in advance to negate some of the flooding.

I will take 3.75.

active_STQ.png

STOP TROLLING. i  find it a miracle your account isn't banned yet. 

Where did you see Duke Energy releasing waters? *looks out window and sees lake at same level* 

Northern and Eastern NC could wind up in a relative min for this event. 1 inch is still pretty good, but it looks like the heaviest stuff will stay west and south of here....as usual.

It is of course just anecdotal, but it seems like we here in the eastern half of NC cannot buy a heavy drenching rain lately.  I am getting tired of reading weather.gov's forecasts for NC and them saying that the rain gradient will decrease from SW to NE.  I mean we always seem to get something, but it is always 0.25" or 0.5" whereas others are getting 1.5" to 2.00". 

Take a look at the year to date rainfall expressed a % of normal.  Does any one have any idea why this is?

It is of course just anecdotal, but it seems like we here in the eastern half of NC cannot buy a heavy drenching rain lately.  I am getting tired of reading weather.gov's forecasts for NC and them saying that the rain gradient will decrease from SW to NE.  I mean we always seem to get something, but it is always 0.25" or 0.5" whereas others are getting 1.5" to 2.00". 

Take a look at the year to date rainfall expressed a % of normal.  Does any one have any idea why this is?

Whoops, I have not yet figured out hoe to post graphics.

12z nam came in a tad wetter for the mtns. if you live along a precip gradient, don't be surprised to see less or more than modeled. interesting things happen along gradients.

12znamp72_SE084.gif

Wow!....If that verifies the French Broad river will have some major flooding. GSP has already mentioned the area around Blantrye in thier overnight AFD.

My number one guess would be orographic enhancement.  The mountains create their own precipitation.  Ergo, the western half of the state (where the mountains are located) gets more rainfall than the eastern (aside from tropical systems that just skirt the coast).

My number one guess would be orographic enhancement.  The mountains create their own precipitation.  Ergo, the western half of the state (where the mountains are located) gets more rainfall than the eastern (aside from tropical systems that just skirt the coast).

That is true, but I am really curious about percentage vs the climactic averages.  I haven't yet figured out how to post pics here, but if you go to http://water.weather.gov/precip/ zoom in on NC and set the view to year to date and percent vs normal, you will see what I mean.

Flood watches issued from NE GA all along the Apps. into SW VA. GFS eased off the totals on 12z (atleast here) and shifted the heaviest amounts that were in S/SW VA towards Richmond. Not sure if I buy it..

That is true, but I am really curious about percentage vs the climactic averages.  I haven't yet figured out how to post pics here, but if you go to http://water.weather.gov/precip/ zoom in on NC and set the view to year to date and percent vs normal, you will see what I mean.

Here's the pic you wanted, I think.  I use imgur to upload graphics.  (Hat tip to Burgertime, for the suggestion.  I'll try to bump his thread concerning this so that you can check it out.)

I see what you mean, though.  The western half of the state, so far, has greater than normal precipitation while the eastern portion is below.  Since this is related to normal, I would suggest that this is simply a short-term blip.  If it weren't a blip, and this was the new norm, then pretty soon those percentages to normal would go back to 100% for the eastern half of the state too, because the new normal would be less than the current normal.

9CeH5Hp.png

Archived