• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Early May Cutoff Low

Hoosier

The model trend toward this cutoff low moving out to the east rather than up through the lakes should be positive for the weekend.  The Euro has a couple cold-arse days, but then it wraps mild air around the north side over the weekend.  The 00z has it back up to the low 60s for Saturday and Sunday around here and well into the 60s for much of the rest of the forum region.  I think we'd be getting out of this thing pretty easy if two crappy days is all we get.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The model trend toward this cutoff low moving out to the east rather than up through the lakes should be positive for the weekend.  The Euro has a couple cold-arse days, but then it wraps mild air around the north side over the weekend.  The 00z has it back up to the low 60s for Saturday and Sunday around here and well into the 60s for much of the rest of the forum region.  I think we'd be getting out of this thing pretty easy if two crappy days is all we get.

I agree...6z gfs is looking toasty after Saturday...next week will feel hot compared to this crap.  Just wonder how much further back farmers got pushed by this...

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DES MOINES IA

915 AM CDT THU MAY 02 2013

.TIME... ...EVENT... ...CITY LOCATION... ...LAT.LON

.DATE... ....MAG.... ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE.

..REMARKS..

0700 AM SNOW BRITT 43.10N 93.80W

05/02/2013 M11.0 INCH HANCOCK IA CO-OP OBSERVER

TREE BRANCHES DOWN

I didn't order this garbage... Better be a long warm fall and a mild winter

Bite your tongue on the fall/winter comment lol! The nice weather will hit your way very soon. Im actually enjoying it here but I know by mid July I will be counting the days til Fall!

Some crazy snow totals in some areas, but looks like MSP only got a T after it was thought theyd smash their 3" May snow record.

At 7 AM this morning, the cooperative observer in Dodge Center MN reported 15.4 inches. If this record is confirmed by the Minnesota State Climate Extremes committee, it would surpass the May daily snowfall record for the state of Minnesota. This record currently stands at 12 inches in St Cloud (May 17 1890), Windom (May 8 1938), and 8 miles north of Leonard (May 3 1954).

Bite your tongue on the fall/winter comment lol! The nice weather will hit your way very soon. Im actually enjoying it here but I know by mid July I will be counting the days til Fall!

Some crazy snow totals in some areas, but looks like MSP only got a T after it was thought theyd smash their 3" May snow record.

yea, at least in the north end of st paul, we got jack. just a wet snow shower yesterday afternoon/early evening and something light overnight. just a real tight gradient on this one. the models were looking at something like that, just maybe not this tight.

From NWS Kansas City...amazing.  Besides the snow, Kansas City could set a monthly record lowest max temp today...and then subsequently break it tomorrow!

A historical May snowstorm continues to impact the region providing one of the latest measured snows in recorded history.  This storm system is due to the development of an anomalously strong storm system which has already brought near to below freezing temperatures and record snows to portions of the Northern Plains and Upper Midwest.

Locally, this system has already broken records on May 2nd as the high temperature of 41 degrees in Kansas City not only broke the record lowest high temperature for this date (48 in 1917), but has also temporarily broken the previous month of May lowest high temperature of 43 degrees back on May 5th, 1944.  Why do we say temporarily?  Well forecast high temperatures for Friday May 3rd are only in the 30s.  This will again break the monthly record for Kansas City. 

Regarding snowfall, with a trace of snow in Kansas City, this is only the third time we've experienced snow during the month of May.  Should measureable snow occur (greater than a trace), it would be the second time in recorded history for measurable snow to be reported in Kansas City during May. If we receive a trace or more of snow on May 3rd, this would represent the latest recorded snowfall in Kansas City history.

When is the last time it snowed this late in the year in recent history? A quick check of historical records indicates that the last time is snowed this late in the year was April 21, 1992.

Here is a roundup of potential statistics during this event:

Kansas City Climatology:

Date:            Average High:            Average Low:         Record Low:           Max Min:

May 2nd             71                                 50                          31 (2005)             48 (1917)

May 3rd              71                                 50                          30 (1976)             47 (1935, 1954)

May 4th              71                                 51                          27 (1907)              45 (1935)

Snow Stats:

Latest measureable snowfall:  1.7” May 3rd 1907

Latest trace of snow:   May 1st, 1909

Lastest measureable snow on record prior to today: April 21, 1992

Seasonal Snowfall:  31.3”

Climatological Average:  18.8”

Last Year Snowfall:  3.9”

Climatological Temperatures:

Month(s):                                          Avg Temp:                Departure from Normal:

Climo Winter (DJF):                              33.7                                    +2.5

January:                                                  32.8                                    +4.0

February:                                                32.4                                    -1.1

March:                                                    37.8                                     -6.4 (16th coldest on record)

April:                                                       49.8                                     -5.0 (8th coldest on record)

RECORD EVENT REPORT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DES MOINES IA
600 PM CDT THU MAY 02 2013

...RECORD DAILY LOW MAXIMUM TEMPERATURE SET AT DES MOINES IA...

THE HIGH TEMPERATURE AT THE DES MOINES INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT ONLY
REACHED 41 DEGREES EARLY THIS MORNING. THIS IS SIX DEGREES COLDER
THAN THE PREVIOUS RECORD COLDEST HIGH TEMPERATURE OF 47 DEGREES SET
ON THIS DATE IN 1953.

NWS Tulsa:

DISCUSSION...
IT IS OFFICIAL...SNOWFLAKES HAVE BEEN OBSERVED AT WFO TULSA THIS
AFTERNOON...THE LATEST TRACE OF SNOW ON RECORD! SOME OTHER REPORTS
OF SLEET OR SNOW AROUND THE AREA AS WELL MAINLY WITHIN HEAVIER
BANDS OF PRECIP. SNOW ALSO REPORTED IN LAST HOUR IN SE KANSAS
WITH SECOND BAND OF PRECIP MOVING THROUGH.

DEEPENING UPPER LOW WILL CONTINUE TO COOL TEMPERATURES ALOFT
THROUGH THE EVENING AS MORE FOCUSED AREA OF PRECIP SHIFTS TO THE
EAST FOR TONIGHT. STILL NO GUARANTEE THAT THE COLUMN WILL COOL
ENOUGH AT THE VERY LOWEST LEVELS FOR A TRANSITION TO ALL SNOW BUT
DO THINK MORE SIGNIFICANT BANDS OF PRECIP STAND A CHANCE TO
PRODUCE SOME ACCUMULATING SNOW. MOST RECENT MODEL TRENDS HAVE
TARGETED EXTREME NE OKLAHOMA AND NW ARKANSAS CONSISTENTLY WITH
ACCUMULATING SNOW AND WHILE THE AMOUNTS ARE LIKELY MUCH TOO
HIGH...WE ARE CONCERNED ENOUGH ABOUT AT LEAST LOCAL ACCUMULATIONS
OF AN INCH OR SO ON GRASSY SURFACES ESPECIALLY IN SOME OF THE
ELEVATED TERRAIN OF FAR NW ARKANSAS. EVEN THOUGH TRAVEL IMPACTS
ARE NOT LIKELY AS SFC TEMPS STAY JUST ABOVE FREEZING...EVEN MODEST
ACCUMULATIONS ON TREES AT THIS TIME OF YEAR CAN BE DAMAGING. THUS
WILL GO WITH WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY FOR EXTREME NE OKLAHOMA AND
MUCH OF NW ARKANSAS...KNOWING FULL WELL THAT YES...IT IS MAY.

ALREADY SOME CLEARING SKIES ACROSS WESTERN OK AND WHILE THE LOW
EVENTUALLY CUTS OFF AND PUTS THE BRAKES ON THAT...FELL ENOUGH
CLEARING FROM TULSA WEST TONIGHT TO ALLOW TEMPS TO DROP TO 32 OR A
LITTLE BELOW. THUS WILL UPGRADE TO FREEZE WARNING...INCLUDING
TULSA METRO. THAT WOULD BREAK A RECORD FOR LATEST FREEZE AT TUL BY
ONE DAY...PREVIOUS MAY 2 1909. TEMPS WILL BE CLOSE TO FREEZING IN
AREAS FARTHER EAST BUT CONFIDENCE IS STILL NOT HIGH ENOUGH TO
UPGRADE AT THIS TIME...HOPEFULLY EVENING SHIFT WILL BE ABLE TO GET
A BETTER HANDLE ON IT.

UPPER LOW WILL BE SLOW TO LEAVE US BEHIND KEEPING A VERY COOL AND
WET REGIME IN PLACE THROUGH AT LEAST PART OF SATURDAY. AS THE LOW
WRAPS UP IT WILL TAP BETTER MOISTURE TO THE EAST ASSOCIATED WITH
LOW ON THE GULF COAST...THUS WRAP AROUND PRECIP SHOULD DEVELOP
LATE FRIDAY. WITH UPPER LOW MORE OR LESS OVERHEAD...SNOW POSSIBLE
ONCE AGAIN IN SOME AREAS AFTER DARK. FREEZE WATCH WILL BE LEFT FOR
NW ARKANSAS FRIDAY NIGHT AS WELL.

Great pic BowMe! Your uncle's dog is probably thinking WTF happened overnight!

Wow, winter weather advisories down to NW AR on May 2nd. This is a keeper.

attachicon.gifMaysnow.png

I find the freeze warnings almost to Mexico even more impressive, hell most of those places in Texas were 90-100 just 2 days ago.

I find the freeze warnings almost to Mexico even more impressive, hell most of those places in Texas were 90-100 just 2 days ago.

Haha, yeah that too!

70-80° temperature swings for those areas.

What truly puts this event in perspective for me is that some of us haven't even experienced a snow event this year that was half the depth of what parts of Wisconsin and Minnesota just experienced in May. 18" just east of Hayward, where our best local event for some of us is in the 6-9" range.

An extra bonus here: I think that's Bowme's wife, or could it be Daddy's?

where was the end music from "the man show" for that clip?

but as for this low, cut-offs make for bad headaches. and there's more snow on my car right snow than when we had the winter storm warning 2 days ago. i just love how momma nature tells us who's #1.

Archived