joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Friday April19th Severe Wx Disco

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I still don't understand and will never understand comparing what happens in one region to another's.  Nobody ever brings that stuff up for any other type of weather except convection.  

His WFO gets good convection by our standards, what do you mean? They get better snow too. Feel better?

His WFO gets good convection by our standards, what do you mean? They get better snow too. Feel better?

I tend to think we do get more consistently good convection. At least my theory is that being closer to the westerlies gives us a better chance to attain supercellular characteristics when warmth and ridging builds into the region.

I bet if you look into the reports in SNE far out pace the reports in NNE, but I think that has more to do with reporting biased towards population than anything.

I tend to think we do get more consistently good convection. At least my theory is that being closer to the westerlies gives us a better chance to attain supercellular characteristics when warmth and ridging builds into the region.

I bet if you look into the reports in SNE far out pace the reports in NNE, but I think that has more to do with reporting biased towards population than anything.

I'm pretty much convinced NNE gets more severe wx than we do down here...it's just we unfortunately don't have the numbers to show that. 

I still don't understand and will never understand comparing what happens in one region to another's.  Nobody ever brings that stuff up for any other type of weather except convection.  

Snow is comapred to all the time...have you been sleeping since you joined the boards? :lol:

We just do substantially better than most of the populated CONUS in the snow department versus convection.

I'm pretty much convinced NNE gets more severe wx than we do down here...it's just we unfortunately don't have the numbers to show that. 

The verification is a big pet peeve of mine. The historical records are pretty much crap because nobody cared enough to look into it. Sort of like how a few years of apathy at ORH has really tainted snow measurements for historical comparison.

Snow is comapred to all the time...have you been sleeping since you joined the boards? :lol:

We just do substantially better than most of the populated CONUS in the snow department versus convection.

That's the thing...people only compare about populated but you can't worry about population unless you're a forecaster to the general public.  Then of course it means anything.  However, when it comes down to meteorology, and research population really means nothing.  If you have a major severe wx outbreak occurring over an area where the population is nothing that shouldn't mean it needs to be ignored...lots can be learned from it b/ one day something like that could occur over a populated area.  

The verification is a big pet peeve of mine. The historical records are pretty much crap because nobody cared enough to look into it. Sort of like how a few years of apathy at ORH has really tainted snow measurements for historical comparison.

Violently agreed...and this is a subject we could start another topic on and could really go off on

Yeah being closer to the westerlies allows better dynamics along with s/w interactions. I'm sure a little lee trough action helps out too.

Still pisses I missed the 1990 Center Harbor and 1994 (I think '94) Moultonboro NH microburst by 1 day.

Yeah being closer to the westerlies allows better dynamics along with s/w interactions. I'm sure a little lee trough action helps out too.

Still pisses I missed the 1990 Center Harbor and 1994 (I think '94) Moultonboro NH microburst by 1 day.

I'm not positive at all, but I'm pretty sure I was up there during or shortly after 1994. I remember my family driving me out to the damage. And of course all the locals kept calling it "a wind shear" which they described as a tornado halfway to the ground.

I'm not positive at all, but I'm pretty sure I was up there during or shortly after 1994. I remember my family driving me out to the damage. And of course all the locals kept calling it "a wind shear" which they described as a tornado halfway to the ground.

It was about 1.5-2  miles from where my folks have a little place now. Just leveled a forest. The 1990 microburst actually went through the area where we stayed now and took down a bunch of trees and blew sail boats onto the beach.

It was about 1.5-2  miles from where my folks have a little place now. Just leveled a forest. The 1990 microburst actually went through the area where we stayed now and took down a bunch of trees and blew sail boats onto the beach.

We used to be up there every 4th. And if I know one thing from the last couple of years working here, it's that there is always severe weather in the Lakes Region around the 4th.

I was 13 at the time, and I so vividly remember the 1994 Moultonboro storm even though it missed me by prob 5-10 miles.  Not sure I've ever seen the sky look blacker since then.  It was a weird black-- no discernible features, just a perfectly smooth gradient of gray overhead to black hole at the horizon.

I was 13 at the time, and I so vividly remember the 1994 Moultonboro storm even though it missed me by prob 5-10 miles.  Not sure I've ever seen the sky look blacker since then.  It was a weird black-- no discernible features, just a perfectly smooth gradient of gray overhead to black hole at the horizon.

There is a store in Meredith that sells wooden knick knacks and furniture made from the fallen timber in that storm. There is a little pic and description of it....the weenie in me wanted to buy something just because of that.

That's the thing...people only compare about populated but you can't worry about population unless you're a forecaster to the general public.  Then of course it means anything.  However, when it comes down to meteorology, and research population really means nothing.  If you have a major severe wx outbreak occurring over an area where the population is nothing that shouldn't mean it needs to be ignored...lots can be learned from it b/ one day something like that could occur over a populated area.  

Most people only care about where populations are. Winter at 9,000 feet in the Rockies is almost irrelevant unless you are forecasting for ski areas or hydro. In severe, there's a ton of populated areas that are affected by much more significant and frequent storms than we are. That is the whole point. If we got some of the best severe in the country except for the Rockies and the Sierras, we probably would say how well we do for severe.

Most people only care about where populations are. Winter at 9,000 feet in the Rockies is almost irrelevant unless you are forecasting for ski areas or hydro. In severe, there's a ton of populated areas that are affected by much more significant and frequent storms than we are. That is the whole point. If we got some of the best severe in the country except for the Rockies and the Sierras, we probably would say how well we do for severe.

I completely understand that, however, if you're interested in research then you really need to care about all areas, populated or not.  Say we have a setup where we get some nasty supercells but they end up only going across areas where the population is mainly sparse or over a heavily forested area lots can still be learned and can be used for future references.  

Archived