• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Friday April19th Severe Wx Disco

Damage In Tolland

Models continue to show a warm front roaring thru late Thursday/early Friday. Leaving us in an anomolous warm, humid airmass for the time of year. If the Euro is right we could tickle or exceed 80 with dews near or over 60. Arctic cold  front is poised to rip thru later Friday or nSaturday.Timing up in air. If we can time it right we could be looking at a severe outbreak esp considering the time of year. Even if it doesn't come thru during peak heating..dynamics are there for a pretty good event.

Thankfully models have also backed off on the magnitude of the cold behind it and we can put the last of this cold misery behind us and move on twds heat and summer

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The airport undermeasured.... I had 16" on the level from that one!!!!

LOL J/K Ginxy.

Ryan, a few years ago I had an argument with this awful lady about "heat" lightning. She was ripping buts and sucking down Merlot as she tried to tell me that I was to young in my met career to understand what lightning is and insisted that it was so hot out....that why we had heat lightning......You should have seen how that went.

LOL J/K Ginxy.

Ryan, a few years ago I had an argument with this awful lady about "heat" lightning. She was ripping buts and sucking down Merlot as she tried to tell me that I was to young in my met career to understand what lightning is and insisted that it was so hot out....that why we had heat lightning......You should have seen how that went.

Just having fun Steve lol. 

And yeah we get the heat lightning thing all the time. It's funny when you try telling people the lightning they're seeing in Hartford is actually from a storm near Brattleboro VT or something haha. 

Remember when Ginx claims he saw ball lightning during a blizzard or something in Westerly?

http://news.discovery.com/earth/weather-extreme-events/ball-lightning-121012.htm

1980 during a severe summer storm on Pierce St. Witnessed by many and reported in the Westerly Sun. Probably related to the sewer pipes running up the street. Remember when you said CT would never see 36 inches of snow in one day?

Arctic fronts aren't really a great source for severe wx really.  Since they are more shallow in nature and their slopes typically are not that steep they don't usually provide a great deal of uplift.  Of course though if you have ample instability and great jet dynamics to compensate this could be off-set.  

Anyways severe wx from Arctic fronts is much easier to come by in the Plains and the south only b/c they can generate the ample instability.  We typically see little in the way of severe wx with them except maybe some low topped pea hailers.  

Archived