Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Lawn/Garden/golf thread

tombo82685

Tombo, 

Deerwood looks to be holding its own, although their bunkers are lakes.

good to hear, I'm playing twin ponds which is right in my backyard tomorrow. These last couple days have been nice, but the ET rates today are through the roof. Lots of diseased roughs out there.

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Philly area folks!

Tombo, I was advised to get your opinion on lawn care. I'm pretty much completely new to this - my family has always just let our lawn do whatever. We are not super concerned with having it be perfect but anything would be an improvment over our current situation of clovers, crabgrass and weeds (some grass too I guess lol) - apologies for out of region post!

http://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php/topic/40804-picking-the-right-grass-seed/

Hey Philly area folks!

Tombo, I was advised to get your opinion on lawn care. I'm pretty much completely new to this - my family has always just let our lawn do whatever. We are not super concerned with having it be perfect but anything would be an improvment over our current situation of clovers, crabgrass and weeds (some grass too I guess lol) - apologies for out of region post!

http://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php/topic/40804-picking-the-right-grass-seed/

I will help with whatever you would like help with. So what is your issue now, weeds or lack of grass?

I will help with whatever you would like help with. So what is your issue now, weeds or lack of grass?

We have a few dead patches but the main problem is the lawn over the past 5-6 years has pretty much been overtaken by clovers and other non-grass plants. For the past years our family has pretty much taken the attitude of "if it's green let it be" (terrible I know!). 

WinterWxluvr over in the OT thread has given me a lot of info and instructions to work with so far. 

We have a few dead patches but the main problem is the lawn over the past 5-6 years has pretty much been overtaken by clovers and other non-grass plants. For the past years our family has pretty much taken the attitude of "if it's green let it be" (terrible I know!). 

WinterWxluvr over in the OT thread has given me a lot of info and instructions to work with so far. 

i wouldn't seed anything till you are in september...if you killed the weeds now and seeded into your yard you will get a whole infestation of crabgrass, which is another bear. If broadleaf weeds are an issue just get a good herbicide to kill them, which won't touch your grass. Once the weeds are gone evaluate it the turf stand you have and see if there are bare areas or what not. If some areas are a little thin just hit it with fertilizer it will grow in. If its bare seed into. I'm not sure how much money you want to drop into it but renting a slit seeder or coring your yard will help to.

i wouldn't seed anything till you are in september...if you killed the weeds now and seeded into your yard you will get a whole infestation of crabgrass, which is another bear. If broadleaf weeds are an issue just get a good herbicide to kill them, which won't touch your grass. Once the weeds are gone evaluate it the turf stand you have and see if there are bare areas or what not. If some areas are a little thin just hit it with fertilizer it will grow in. If its bare seed into. I'm not sure how much money you want to drop into it but renting a slit seeder or coring your yard will help to.

Great info! Thanks tombo :thumbsup:

Tombo, have you ever heard of spraying diluted baby shampoo on a lawn in order to decrease compaction (in addition to core aerating)? It seems to be a fairly popular recommendation on gardenweb.

No, i have never heard of that honestly...I'm not sure how shampoo would decrease compaction in a lawn. 

Tombo, have you ever heard of spraying diluted baby shampoo on a lawn in order to decrease compaction (in addition to core aerating)? It seems to be a fairly popular recommendation on gardenweb. No, i have never heard of that honestly...I'm not sure how shampoo would decrease compaction in a lawn. 
It's supposed to increase water penetration via reducing the surface tension of the water. The increase in soil moisture is supposed to increase the number of microfauna, which loosens the soil.

Tom, looks great for late July / early August.

So what specific products do you use and when do you apply them? 

i just fertilize and mow properly..and i have my little sprayer full of a herbicide to knock the broadleaf weeds. It looks good and has come a good ways since the spring. There are still issues i need to tackle in fall like nimblewil which is a bugger.

It's supposed to increase water penetration via reducing the surface tension of the water. The increase in soil moisture is supposed to increase the number of microfauna, which loosens the soil.

Yes, this is a common practice to loosen up dense, compacted soils.  Just make sure to use baby shampoo.

Picked some tomatoes this week.  Mr put them all along the deck rail.  Might have a bushel or better, maybe there will be more to pick tonight.  Reading the AFD seems I best get started early tomorrow.  I do all the processing outside of our garage on a propane burner thing. Maybe I should put the canopy up?  Maybe not?  It's not a fan of t-storms.  Maybe at my location I'll luck out since better convection seems to be down in the Delmarva area?  Maybe  wait until Sunday?  Sunday I would rather have the day off.   Such decisions, lol

good to hear, I'm playing twin ponds which is right in my backyard tomorrow. These last couple days have been nice, but the ET rates today are through the roof. Lots of diseased roughs out there.

Golden Pheasant has been hit pretty hard too.  A couple of their greens were underwater earlier this week when the sw branch of the Rancocas flooded them.  Barring a Sandy, they will be back by October.

• 2 weeks later...

Tombo,

Not picking on them because they are not alone, but here is a pic of the 11th "fairway" at Indian Springs:

attachicon.gifphoto.jpg

ouch, looks like water was standing over that area for awhile with how the grass is matted down. This year has been bad. With all the water grass roots don't pentrate deep they stay shallow. So once you get the heat the grass wilts faster because the roots are at the top of the surface instead of being deeper into the soil. Also you get wet wilt with area of continued wetness. Basically its turf that croaks because the soil is depleted of oxygen because its all water. I have heard numerous horror stories of courses. Our course is in superb shape, we haven't loss any of our greens at all. Even merion had to send a letter out to their members saying they are raising the cut of the greens because they have lost grass.

In regards to tomatoes, i have gotten 10 so far off my plants and have a bunch more to come. I have noticed they are really small not sure if it was the variety i got or to much water. No cracking so to speak on my tomatoes yet.

ouch, looks like water was standing over that area for awhile with how the grass is matted down. This year has been bad. With all the water grass roots don't pentrate deep they stay shallow. So once you get the heat the grass wilts faster because the roots are at the top of the surface instead of being deeper into the soil. Also you get wet wilt with area of continued wetness. Basically its turf that croaks because the soil is depleted of oxygen because its all water. I have heard numerous horror stories of courses. Our course is in superb shape, we haven't loss any of our greens at all. Even merion had to send a letter out to their members saying they are raising the cut of the greens because they have lost grass.

In regards to tomatoes, i have gotten 10 so far off my plants and have a bunch more to come. I have noticed they are really small not sure if it was the variety i got or to much water. No cracking so to speak on my tomatoes yet.

Our tomatoes are mostly split and animal eaten this year, alot of fast rotten ones also they had super growth and grew into each other like they were on massive steroids.

Tombo,

Might be the type of tomato, if there ever was a season for them to swell, its this one.

Archived