• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Lawn/Garden/golf thread

tombo82685

The larger type like the beef steak got huge and of course. split.  The plum ones were ok but not great.  The regular type (whatever they're called) seemed to do the best this year.  4 and 5 to a vine and the vine didn't torch!  We canned about 17 qts.  Also did 20some pts of just juice since the later picking started to rot a little.  There were small green ones all way up the vine although I've yet to check if they are any good now or not.  I can see some ripe ones from the house, enough to eat, probably not enough to process.

I am no farmer by any means, but in our garden this has been a good year for tomatoes.  All the rain didn't bother them.  We do start all the plants on mounds so excess water should run out?  Maybe that was the trick this year.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The larger type like the beef steak got huge and of course. split.  The plum ones were ok but not great.  The regular type (whatever they're called) seemed to do the best this year.  4 and 5 to a vine and the vine didn't torch!  We canned about 17 qts.  Also did 20some pts of just juice since the later picking started to rot a little.  There were small green ones all way up the vine although I've yet to check if they are any good now or not.  I can see some ripe ones from the house, enough to eat, probably not enough to process.

I am no farmer by any means, but in our garden this has been a good year for tomatoes.  All the rain didn't bother them.  We do start all the plants on mounds so excess water should run out?  Maybe that was the trick this year.

We had 14 different varieties of tomatoes in our garden this year as a grand experiment.  All heirloom by the way.  The Rutgers, Cherokee Purple and German Gold came out as winners with minimal splitting or rotting and exceptional productivity and taste.  With my fiancee and I moving in after our marriage next spring downsizing the garden, hence the wide range of tomatoes.  The three aforementioned types will probably be planted in a pot and grow bags on the back patio of our apartment.

We had 14 different varieties of tomatoes in our garden this year as a grand experiment.  All heirloom by the way.  The Rutgers, Cherokee Purple and German Gold came out as winners with minimal splitting or rotting and exceptional productivity and taste.  With my fiancee and I moving in after our marriage next spring downsizing the garden, hence the wide range of tomatoes.  The three aforementioned types will probably be planted in a pot and grow bags on the back patio of our apartment.

Good plan.  Hope it works out for you next year.

Yesterday (Oct 6th)  I made a green tomatoe pie.  Unreal.  I wrote stuff down this year in hopes to either downsize or just plant what vegatables we really want next season.

Good plan.  Hope it works out for you next year.

Yesterday (Oct 6th)  I made a green tomatoe pie.  Unreal.  I wrote stuff down this year in hopes to either downsize or just plant what vegatables we really want next season.

You are fortunate to have tomatoes.   Mine pretty much died off from blight around Aug. 10.   40 plants of various varieties.

Took precautions - removed native soil in the planting holes and replaced with baked top soil and added ferts, grew my own plants,

and watered without splashing on leaves.   I also rotate location so that I only plant in the same spot every third year.   No help.   It occurred to me that I use the same cages year after year.   Going to try dunking cages in a barrel of Chlorox before storing them.   Also going with heavy much next year.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived