SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Lawn/Garden/golf thread

tombo82685

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tom - thinking it was going to rain early in the week I put down my crabgrass preventer (fertilizer with dimension). Am I ok now that it doesn't seem as though it will rain for several days? I spent $186! :(. 1.5 acres

yea, it will just sit there till it rains. a tenth to a qtr of an inch which may occur tomorrow night will wash some of it in. Just realize this, you can't over seed now unless you skipped areas that you were planning to overseed.

Kwanzan cherries (pink flowers) are getting ready to explode. All other flowering trees have peaked or are now in the leaf out stage. Everything is budded and pollen levels sky high the next few weeks as we reach the climax of spring allergy season. Tree pollen stays elevated until early June most years, and of course grasses are out too.

Leaf-out wise, I think we'll be pretty close to what's considered "normal" around here. Most trees leafing out in the 5/1-5/10 period.

Tombo,

We got the aeration schedule down pretty good, went to Deerwood today, they aerated their greens on Monday.  This is as close to a private course as we play around here, looks like they used a machine that makes smaller holes than typical. They aerated the fairways a couple of weeks ago.

Tombo,

We got the aeration schedule down pretty good, went to Deerwood today, they aerated their greens on Monday.  This is as close to a private course as we play around here, looks like they used a machine that makes smaller holes than typical. They aerated the fairways a couple of weeks ago.

They prob went with 3/8 tines, thats what we use. Also, if they have bentgrass greens it would make sense to aerate a little later because bentgrass is a warmer season type of cool season grass. Bent doesn't get really going till mayish.

So I don't think my hydrangea is doing very well. I planted it when we first moved into our house sometime in September/October. When we planted our cypress I noticed my Rose of Sharon were getting some little green buds, but there is nothing on my hydrangea. In fact, some of the roots were exposed that I did not realize. I'm guessing some of the dirt I used washed away from the top of the root ball or I didn't dig the hole deep enough. I also believe the neighbors dog may have been peeing on it so I'm not sure what that would do. Regardless, all I see are the dead stems from last year and no new growth. Not sure if I should give it some more time or plan on planting a new one. 

So I don't think my hydrangea is doing very well. I planted it when we first moved into our house sometime in September/October. When we planted our cypress I noticed my Rose of Sharon were getting some little green buds, but there is nothing on my hydrangea. In fact, some of the roots were exposed that I did not realize. I'm guessing some of the dirt I used washed away from the top of the root ball or I didn't dig the hole deep enough. I also believe the neighbors dog may have been peeing on it so I'm not sure what that would do. Regardless, all I see are the dead stems from last year and no new growth. Not sure if I should give it some more time or plan on planting a new one. 

I vaguely recall that Hydrangea's are late budders, but that memory could be wrong.  In any case, best thing is to check other hydrangea's in the area and compare.  Then you'll at least know if yours is actually "late".

try cutting it back so all the dead is removed or leave a couple inches of it off the ground.

Oh, and don't forget the "bark test"...  rub a bit of bark off the branch to see if its green underneath.  Green means its still alive (obviously).

Was going to suggest that - my hydrangea is leafing out.   Buds were blackened last year after the ridiculous March and an April freeze.

Not the case this year.

My bald cypress is just now sprouting - no wilting visible.

Going to take a chance and plant some tomatoes - getting too big in the greenhouse.   Plan to mitigate blight this year is to grow from seed

and replace the soil where they will be planted - and of course a different bed from last year.

There's a lot of varieties, so "wilty" could be normal. 

But again, pictures speak a thousand words...

Love the fancy names, but my knowledge of plants is limited. Basically I know to water and feed them and if they are green they're healthy haha.

I'm a little bit of a plant geek ;)  But certain "common names" like "cypress" are extremely unhelpful, used for a wide variety of plants which aren't closely related.  "Cedar" is one of the worst.

Was going to suggest that - my hydrangea is leafing out.   Buds were blackened last year after the ridiculous March and an April freeze.

Not the case this year.

My bald cypress is just now sprouting - no wilting visible.

Going to take a chance and plant some tomatoes - getting too big in the greenhouse.   Plan to mitigate blight this year is to grow from seed

and replace the soil where they will be planted - and of course a different bed from last year.

Tried the same thing to get around the blight a couple seasons ago but still got it so i figure it gets transmitted by bugs. I could be wrong but think the stink bugs are the culprits they love tomatoe plants. I have an idea to make square enclosures wrapped in super light polyester fabric as a defense

Irish eyes cypress: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367013074.620057.jpgEndless Summer Hydrangea: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367013147.698021.jpg

Cypress needs water. That looks like a wilt since you just planted them. I would do the green test and cut back the hydrangea

Cool thanks!

My whatever tree out front... ( cherry blossom?) ugy4y6yd.jpg

Prunus serrulata 'Kanzan'

My grandfather had one of these in his front yard when I was growing up.  Even though he decided he didn't like it and had it cut down, I always loved this tree.  Despite the fact it tends to have a relatively short life without regenerative pruning and can be rather uninteresting outside of spring flowering and fall foliage.

Archived