• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Lawn/Garden/golf thread

tombo82685

Another plus for Milorganite (and no I am not a salesman :lmao: ) is that it's pretty hard for the average homeowner to screw up the application. Even if the rates are off there is a big margin for error since it is slow release (won't smoke the lawn or get goofy green patterns, always apply 1/2 rate 2 directions though)

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What's the temperature guidelines?

Soil microbe activity begins at 0'C but is exteremely limited. I'd look for soil temps above 55F for active microbes.

My opinion (and what I personally do) is that you can apply it now and the fertilizer will already be in place ready to go once the soil temperature climbs.

You are correct. I just stated that it wouldn't be a waste since the product would be sitting at the soil layer ready for release when everything gets going.

LM wanted something safe for the dogs, nothing it safer than milorganite.

http://milorganite.com/FAQ#1

"Milorganite is not toxic if eaten and your dog is not facing a “life threatening” crisis that requires medical care or emergency stomach pumping.

How much discomfort your dog has will depend on how much Milorganite was consumed. Dogs that eat a small amount of Milorganite do not show signs of discomfort. More than a normal food bowl will typically cause gastroenteritis because the Milorganite pellets are coarse, hard and highly abrasive. The abrasion causes inflammation of the stomach and intestinal lining. Eating too much Milorganite can induce vomiting, which can lead to dehydration, incontinence (stiffness in the hind legs), atrophy, depression and black stools.

To alleviate discomfort, provide liquids, a bland diet, and contact your local veterinarian for instructions on how to manage gastrointestinal irritation. Some may suggest that the high iron in Milorganite is life threatening, however this is not accurate. The iron in Milorganite is not soluble and is not available for absorption in the mucosal cells of the small intestine. Milorganite pellets pass through a dog’s digestive system causing potential discomfort, but without being absorbed.

If you have further questions, please call (800) 304-6204."

Thank you sounds like a patch by patch basis.

This spring will be the latest bloom of the DC cherry blossoms since 2005:

http://www.nationalcherryblossomfestival.org/about/bloom-watch/

The cherries up here are still in the early stages, probably won't peak bloom until around mid April, a solid 15 days later than last year.

It is remarkable the difference in growing season this spring vs last spring. Most lawns in the PHL suburbs are just getting green, with some brown patches remaining. Forsythias appear to be on the brink of blooming. Next 60+ day will probably feature them blooming. Other than that, not much vegetation growth, other than red buds on some trees.

It would be nice to see a picture from this date last year.    It's pretty stunning the lack of growth so far.

Very little lawn greenup, Crocuses still in bloom, very few daffodils yet, forsyths still probably a week from

blooming.     And a nice frozen crust on the mud this morning.

Look at our office Facebook picture from Philly. I think that picture was posted on that web site on March 20th of last year.

https://www.facebook.com/US.NationalWeatherService.PHI.gov?ref=ts&fref=ts

The hubby and I saw some Irish Eyes Cyprus at Lowes this weekend that we are thinking about getting to use as a barrier in between us and our neighbor. Does anyone have any experience with this or any advice when we go to purchase and plant them?

what is your objective with getting this type of cyprus? Is it hiding a foundation?

Hiding the neighbors back yard. Our house sits back behind theirs so when you look out the front windows or front door you're looking at the back or their house.post-5452-136546661735.jpg

The hubby and I saw some Irish Eyes Cyprus at Lowes this weekend that we are thinking about getting to use as a barrier in between us and our neighbor. Does anyone have any experience with this or any advice when we go to purchase and plant them?

what is your objective with getting this type of cyprus? Is it hiding a foundation?

hahaha that's back when we first moved in....in August

Hiding the neighbors back yard. Our house sits back behind theirs so when you look out the front windows or front door you're looking at the back or their house.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365466620.201630.jpg

Wow, spring came fast! One 70+ day and its all greened up :lol:

Hiding the neighbors back yard. Our house sits back behind theirs so when you look out the front windows or front door you're looking at the back or their house.attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1365466620.201630.jpg

Ahh okay, i was going to say if its around your house i would go with a golden threaded cyprus.. What you picked out would do the job or you could try some arbavitaes (sp?) or leeland cypresses

Yeah looked at the arborvitae...little too skinny. We wanted something a little more full.

Hiding the neighbors back yard. Our house sits back behind theirs so when you look out the front windows or front door you're looking at the back or their house.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365466620.201630.jpg

Ahh okay, i was going to say if its around your house i would go with a golden threaded cyprus.. What you picked out would do the job or you could try some arbavitaes (sp?) or leeland cypresses

Tractor with tiller coming tomorrow for the garden.  This garden is on the edge of the property where right over the bank is about 1\4 acre of brush--that big tall grass stuff and sticky weeds.  The weeds are really dried up and Mr. said we could burn them but they will most likely be back next year.  I do recall this brush catching fire before and I guess he's right since it has all come back although it has been several years.

It has also become a 5 star resort for that dreadful rodent, the groundhog.  Over the winter I did see a fox so hope he is still around and hungry.  There are so many burrows it's impossible to get rid of them so I do my best to keep them away from the plants using scare tactics and the marigolds.

Wish us luck, planting tomatoes a few weeks early this year so hopefully can harvest before they torch.

Unless of course the torch doesn't come.....haha

There seems to be something going around with arborvitae(s), we lost two and have seen a number of my neighbors and

ones on golf courses that have had better days.

Seems like its been going around for a while, I can recall failures back when I was a kid.  Maybe NJ is just a tad too warm and humid for them.

In my opinion, the date of the first mowing is a good proxy for measuring the degree to which spring has been delayed or has come early compared to other years.

Using this proxy, it's fair to say that spring was delayed over a month this year for my area (Chesapeake and Delaware Canal) as my first mowing was yesterday.

My question to everyone: when was your first mowing compared to normal (assuming there is a normal anymore)?

In my opinion, the date of the first mowing is a good proxy for measuring the degree to which spring has been delayed or has come early compared to other years.

Using this proxy, it's fair to say that spring was delayed over a month this year for my area (Chesapeake and Delaware Canal) as my first mowing was yesterday.

My question to everyone: when was your first mowing compared to normal (assuming there is a normal anymore)?

Wow, a first mowing average in mid March is early.

In Monmouth County, we have yet to have the first mowing. Grass just finishing greening up now. Probably first mowing several days/week away, which would be at least a week behind schedule.

Wow, a first mowing afterage in mid March is early.

In Monmouth County, we have yet to have the first mowing. Grass just finishing greening up now. Probably first mowing several days/week away, which would be at least a week behind schedule.

The long-term average may be much later since my reckoning is based upon the years after I moved here in 2006.

Archived