joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Lawn/Garden/golf thread

tombo82685

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Weatherfolk, give some hope to the birding community of New Jersey.  The whining is beginning to presage that of the anticipated cicadas.  This easterly flow, this sunny neverending high pressure is squashing our spring migration!  We have about a 3 week window for peak songbird migration - last week in April to mid-May - but we need some south and southwest winds.  The ideal setup is light south/southwest winds overnight (songbird migration takes place at night), with just a bit of precipitation or a brief storm to bring them to earth right before dawn.  Last year this occurred May 4-5 along the coast, and there was an extraordinary "fallout" of birds at Sandy Hook.  I had to work, but I was receiving text messages all day about just how many birds there were - 250 rose-breasted grosbeaks, hundreds of indigo buntings, thousands of warblers representing almost all the 36 species that move through NJ.

This year the easterly flow has been keeping birds moving well west of here, at least into western Pennsylvania.  Every day you go out, people are saying that it's never been so quiet at this time of year, "not even a catbird."  As someone said this morning on the Jerseybirds list, this has got to change!  Next weekend is the annual World Series of Birding.  We need that weather to change, ideally either Thursday night or Friday, and get some light southerly winds coming into the area.  There has to be a surge of birds down in the Virginias waiting to take their usual flight north along the coast and the Appalachian ridges.  Is there any hope?

Weatherfolk, give some hope to the birding community of New Jersey.  The whining is beginning to presage that of the anticipated cicadas.  This easterly flow, this sunny neverending high pressure is squashing our spring migration!  We have about a 3 week window for peak songbird migration - last week in April to mid-May - but we need some south and southwest winds.  The ideal setup is light south/southwest winds overnight (songbird migration takes place at night), with just a bit of precipitation or a brief storm to bring them to earth right before dawn.  Last year this occurred May 4-5 along the coast, and there was an extraordinary "fallout" of birds at Sandy Hook.  I had to work, but I was receiving text messages all day about just how many birds there were - 250 rose-breasted grosbeaks, hundreds of indigo buntings, thousands of warblers representing almost all the 36 species that move through NJ.

This year the easterly flow has been keeping birds moving well west of here, at least into western Pennsylvania.  Every day you go out, people are saying that it's never been so quiet at this time of year, "not even a catbird."  As someone said this morning on the Jerseybirds list, this has got to change!  Next weekend is the annual World Series of Birding.  We need that weather to change, ideally either Thursday night or Friday, and get some light southerly winds coming into the area.  There has to be a surge of birds down in the Virginias waiting to take their usual flight north along the coast and the Appalachian ridges.  Is there any hope?

It looks like we'll lose the easterly flow after about Wednesday.

Tombo,

Whats with those greens at Wells Fargo?

From what I've heard, about 2 weeks -10 days prior of play, the chemical dude muffed up biiiiiiiig time.

"Too much of the chemical Cutlass is the word from our chemical rep. Super intendant to keep his job. Chemical rep not as lucky. Apparently prescribed the wrong amount."

Tombo,

Whats with those greens at Wells Fargo?

I didn't see what occurred there or looked at it. From what Brian reported I can imagine what happened. During this time of year if you have poa greens which are common around here. Poa annua is a prolific seed head producer and can really disrupt ball roll and create and uneven surface. We use chemicals such as cutlass, proxy,primo, and embark to control seed head production and to basically shut down the growing process of the plant. If you put to much of those chemicals in it can seriously injur turf. Primo is the safer of the 4 chemicals followed by proxy. We are doing 5oz of primo and 5oz of proxy. Embark works really good on seed head production but the injury rate is a lot higher. Also if you overlap into the rough it really can mess up bluegrass. The greens have an almost winter like look to them cause they are shut down. We are just mowing haven't rolled at all and I stimped 12' this morning. If we would of rolled probably would of pushed 13' which on some of our greens it's un puttable.

I didn't see what occurred there or looked at it. From what Brian reported I can imagine what happened. During this time of year if you have poa greens which are common around here. Poa annua is a prolific seed head producer and can really disrupt ball roll and create and uneven surface. We use chemicals such as cutlass, proxy,primo, and embark to control seed head production and to basically shut down the growing process of the plant. If you put to much of those chemicals in it can seriously injur turf. Primo is the safer of the 4 chemicals followed by proxy. We are doing 5oz of primo and 5oz of proxy. Embark works really good on seed head production but the injury rate is a lot higher. Also if you overlap into the rough it really can mess up bluegrass. The greens have an almost winter like look to them cause they are shut down. We are just mowing haven't rolled at all and I stimped 12' this morning. If we would of rolled probably would of pushed 13' which on some of our greens it's un puttable.

Sounds like U.S. Open material.  :)

Been  busy getting the garden ready, so havent seen most of that tournament. The (Wells Fargo) greens looked like they had reddish fungus growing on it for lack of a better term. I guess lucky for them they are suppose to be overhauling the course after this year.

Sounds like U.S. Open material. :)

Been busy getting the garden ready, so havent seen most of that tournament. The (Wells Fargo) greens looked like they had reddish fungus growing on it for lack of a better term. I guess lucky for them they are suppose to be overhauling the course after this year.

Lol yea they are ridiculously fast

Sounds like an overdose on the chemical. Basically just nuked the grass

Tombo, I read this today. “Periodical cicadas may cause physical damage to small trees or shrubs if too many feed from the plant or lay eggs in its twigs; such damage can cause "flagging," or breaking of peripheral twigs.”. since this is the year for them to comeback is it worthwhile to put a net around newly transplanted trees?

Tombo, I read this today. “Periodical cicadas may cause physical damage to small trees or shrubs if too many feed from the plant or lay eggs in its twigs; such damage can cause "flagging," or breaking of peripheral twigs.”. since this is the year for them to comeback is it worthwhile to put a net around newly transplanted trees?

How big are the newly transported trees?

I would just watch them..if you see some visual damage and nesting, just spray it and kill them. Just think wrapping them up in a nest is to much work when you don't even know if any damage will occur at all

Thanks Tom 

FINALLY some south winds Wednesday night brought in some migrant birds, even in Thursday's rain.  Birds were more active along the coast, including an extremely rare shorebird (red phalarope) that turned up at Forsythe National Wildlife refuge (but on May 8) and was reported daily including today (May 10).  I saw it yesterday. But today, May 10,  saw the real movement, with a SW component to overnight winds.  Sandy Hook was dripping with birds today, over 100 species, and good high counts of individual species.  Also good reports from Garett Mountain and Baldpate Mountain, additional hotspots, and even good movements at non-hotspots in the Piedmont.

Tomorrow is the World Series of Birding here in NJ, and we are all crossing fingers that none of our migrants will depart for further north tonight, while new arrivals swell the numbers and variety for tomorrow.  The ticket for that would be continued SW winds, rain and storms just north of us (which would prevent birds from flying out of NJ tonight), and some occasional light showers and thunderstorms after midnight.  We may get this.   

FINALLY some south winds Wednesday night brought in some migrant birds, even in Thursday's rain.  Birds were more active along the coast, including an extremely rare shorebird (red phalarope) that turned up at Forsythe National Wildlife refuge (but on May 8) and was reported daily including today (May 10).  I saw it yesterday. But today, May 10,  saw the real movement, with a SW component to overnight winds.  Sandy Hook was dripping with birds today, over 100 species, and good high counts of individual species.  Also good reports from Garett Mountain and Baldpate Mountain, additional hotspots, and even good movements at non-hotspots in the Piedmont.

Tomorrow is the World Series of Birding here in NJ, and we are all crossing fingers that none of our migrants will depart for further north tonight, while new arrivals swell the numbers and variety for tomorrow.  The ticket for that would be continued SW winds, rain and storms just north of us (which would prevent birds from flying out of NJ tonight), and some occasional light showers and thunderstorms after midnight.  We may get this.   

Hmm, didn't know Baldpate was a hotspot, that's near here...

We were up at Tom's neck of the woods yesterday. This is the island green at Bella Vista. We bogeyed :(

Edit wont upload, oh well. Tom its on FB.

That's a great course! Beautiful

Hole too. The drop zone isn't exactly easy either lol.

That's a great course! Beautiful

Hole too. The drop zone isn't exactly easy either lol.

Yeah and it looked like it got a lot of action too. I liked the course, it was hilly enough (Golden Pheasant has slightly smaller elevation changes, but more blind shots.) to make the holes interesting. 18 was no can of corn either. Meanwhile all thunderstorms north and east of me this afternoon.

We were up at Tom's neck of the woods yesterday. This is the island green at Bella Vista.  We bogeyed :(

Edit wont upload, oh well. Tom its on FB.

Yea i saw the pic. That hole looks like a signature hole for that course very nice... turtle creek on monday, better stock up on balls because the slice will be live and well.

Yea i saw the pic. That hole looks like a signature hole for that course very nice... turtle creek on monday, better stock up on balls because the slice will be live and well.

That may be our spring course next year.  At least I'll know exactly where it is, practically drove past it on the way to Bella Vista.

played there 2x last year.

bogey and par on island.

some challenging holes.

Now that is a nice picture of that hole.  :thumbsup:  Flag was back left, didn't realize there wasn't much "help" in keeping the ball from going into the water.  Would have liked that pin placement better.

Archived