joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Lawn/Garden/golf thread

tombo82685

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yea this kind of weather saves on watering but not chemical usage. We are spraying our greens every week. What you probably saw was dollar spot, but i would have to see it to be sure, cause other fungus's have mycellium to. 

I can relate to your pain.....mowing the life out of the grass and then applying chemicals to keep it alive....sometimes it seems pretty crazy.

The green kyllinga (sp) or yellow nutsedge is loving these daily donwpours; its growing an inch a day. 

Triangle stem would indicate nutsedge....if you see the root nut on the yellow nutsedge you'll see why it grows like wild during the summer wet or dry. There is a selective herbicide available to take it out.

with warm/hot weather now, I applied this a couple weeks ago.

grass seems to like it.

hopefully this will last thru august.

it's a steady slow release so you won't get the sudden loss of color with other fertilizers.....should do fine through august. I hit my lawn with earthworks (similar to milorganite) 3 times a year (spring, fall, and winter dormant feed)

9 pints pickles 9 pints beets 3 qts veg. stock done.  Very different year than last weather wise for the garden.  I don't recall canning anything this early.  Should the heat\ humidity\ rain everyday or every other day keep up the tomatoes should come on pretty good without burning up or getting eaten by bugs.  Beans aren't so great.  Ate some yesterday but not enough on the plants yet to preseve. Peppers also loving this weather. 

Triangle stem would indicate nutsedge....if you see the root nut on the yellow nutsedge you'll see why it grows like wild during the summer wet or dry. There is a selective herbicide available to take it out.

yup, manage, sedgehammer...active ingredient halosulfron 

yup, manage, sedgehammer...active ingredient halosulfron 

That nut is my biggest battle.

I used a spray last year on many areas but the stuff pops up everywhere.

Gotta be careful with spraying. I went to heavy in areas and grass died also.

Does this ingredient come in a dry form to use in a spreader?

That nut is my biggest battle.

I used a spray last year on many areas but the stuff pops up everywhere.

Gotta be careful with spraying. I went to heavy in areas and grass died also.

Does this ingredient come in a dry form to use in a spreader?

i don't think so, at least i have never seen it before. We just spray it.

• 2 weeks later...

Unless I'm leaving the nuts behind when I pull them out by hand, I haven't seen any.  Either way its more of an annoyance for me to have to cut it down every three, four days.  I dont know if its a summer "grass" or weed, but something else is growing in our back yard and gets going usually in August, but it started earlier this year.  Its so thick (deep green and lush), it chokes out the kyllinga or nutsedge and even the crab grass and clover.  So in 10-20 years, I'll be in pretty good shape.

I feel for you and Tombo this summer. Just played Pennsauken yesterday. They are considered the model how a municipality should run golf course and all of the rain and heat has pounded that course.

Unless I'm leaving the nuts behind when I pull them out by hand, I haven't seen any.  Either way its more of an annoyance for me to have to cut it down every three, four days.  I dont know if its a summer "grass" or weed, but something else is growing in our back yard and gets going usually in August, but it started earlier this year.  Its so thick (deep green and lush), it chokes out the kyllinga or nutsedge and even the crab grass and clover.  So in 10-20 years, I'll be in pretty good shape.

I feel for you and Tombo this summer. Just played Pennsauken yesterday. They are considered the model how a municipality should run golf course and all of the rain and heat has pounded that course.

The sell a chemical to knock out the nutsedge if you want to rid of it, but it seems like pulling it out is working for you. If you can, take a picture of it maybe i or greenskeeper can identify it for you. Its nice to get the rain so you don't have to water all the time but the constant leaf wetness creates a euphoria of turf disease that can just go right through an area. Combine that with really wet ground then heat and you can get wet wilt and scald. I woul rather take a dry year than a wet one if i had to choose.

I feel for you and Tombo this summer.

I hung up my cup cutter for the last time back in NOV 2011 when I was laid off. I have since been working for a large (billion dollar) retirement life company maintaining building and grounds at the corporate office complex and things have never been better.

I miss the golf course some days, but it's not the job for someone who has a family (time, benefits, stability, etc.)

The sell a chemical to knock out the nutsedge if you want to rid of it, but it seems like pulling it out is working for you. If you can, take a picture of it maybe i or greenskeeper can identify it for you. Its nice to get the rain so you don't have to water all the time but the constant leaf wetness creates a euphoria of turf disease that can just go right through an area. Combine that with really wet ground then heat and you can get wet wilt and scald. I woul rather take a dry year than a wet one if i had to choose.

It is actually nutsedge; the ground was soft enough that some of the "nuts" came out of the ground.  I guess when I pull them, the nuts get left behind. I have to get some exercise...

I hung up my cup cutter for the last time back in NOV 2011 when I was laid off. I have since been working for a large (billion dollar) retirement life company maintaining building and grounds at the corporate office complex and things have never been better.

I miss the golf course some days, but it's not the job for someone who has a family (time, benefits, stability, etc.)

I remember you posted about letting go, wasnt sure if went to another course.  You gotta do what you gotta do, glad it all worked out. 

It is actually nutsedge; the ground was soft enough that some of the "nuts" came out of the ground.  I guess when I pull them, the nuts get left behind. I have to get some exercise...

without removing the nuts, the process is futile in that the response by the sedge will be to produce more stems

Lowes sells this http://www.lowes.com/pd_335813-446-9994318_0__?Ntt=nutsedge&UserSearch=nutsedge&productId=3464232&rpp=32

I have never tried that product and would be cautious in that it says it kills poa annua as well, which every manucured area of turf has to some extent and could look bad if the area is >50% poa.  Spot treatment should be ok though it you are careful and only hit the sedge as best as you can.

without removing the nuts, the process is futile in that the response by the sedge will be to produce more stems

Lowes sells this http://www.lowes.com/pd_335813-446-9994318_0__?Ntt=nutsedge&UserSearch=nutsedge&productId=3464232&rpp=32

I have never tried that product and would be cautious in that it says it kills poa annua as well, which every manucured area of turf has to some extent and could look bad if the area is >50% poa.  Spot treatment should be ok though it you are careful and only hit the sedge as best as you can.

halosulfron ftw

i used this  31o1yu6MdnL.jpg about 7 days ago and the ones i sprayed have turned yellow but i have new ones in different areas.

freakin nut is a pain in the a$$

I have hammer packets ready to go but pulling it out (with the nut intact) works well for me. It pops out easy when I grab it at the soil line and gently lift up.

I have hammer packets ready to go but pulling it out (with the nut intact) works well for me. It pops out easy when I grab it at the soil line and gently lift up.

i used this  31o1yu6MdnL.jpg about 7 days ago and the ones i sprayed have turned yellow but i have new ones in different areas.

freakin nut is a pain in the a$$

yup thats the stuff that contains the A.I. halosulfron, hits the nut sedge good.. its also sold under manage and pro sedge to.

I remember you posted about letting go, wasnt sure if went to another course.  You gotta do what you gotta do, glad it all worked out. 

No superintendent jobs out there. More golf courses close than open each year for the last 5+. I believe I worked through the "golden age" of golf course contruction and it will never be like that again.

No superintendent jobs out there. More golf courses close than open each year for the last 5+. I believe I worked through the "golden age" of golf course contruction and it will never be like that again.

Everyone's attention span is getting shorter, golf rounds are not.  Bad combo.

Archived