SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Lawn/Garden/golf thread

tombo82685

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Today is a good day. We begin clearing the back property of trees and debris which has accumulated from Sandy and several other high wind events since then. We only did the front back in Nov because we knew what was going to continue through winter. We have about 14 large trees....another dozen medium/small which are severely damaged or down, and another dozen which are potentially dangerously loose. Hope we can rescue the fence line as well.

I would rather be playing golf just for the record.

Today is a good day. We begin clearing the back property of trees and debris which has accumulated from Sandy and several other high wind events since then. We only did the front back in Nov because we knew what was going to continue through winter. We have about 14 large trees....another dozen medium/small which are severely damaged or down, and another dozen which are potentially dangerously loose. Hope we can rescue the fence line as well. I would rather be playing golf just for the record.

Going to try and get out tomorrow. It might be crazy with the holiday, but I'm not sure how many people actaully get Good Friday off anymore...I think I may give up on the two ball putter for a while and go back to a more "traditional" model. When I had the time to work with it regularly, I could get the two ball pretty well dialed in, but a few toddlers at home ensure I don't get that time...;)

Any suggestions on pet safe fertilizer for our back yard our dogs are killing a lot of the grass in the back yard.

Honestly lee, i don't think their is an entirely safe fertilizer. Unless the dogs are licking the soil, they shouldn't be eating it. What you could do is just time the fertilizer app with rain, so it washes it in and off the grass if the dogs are eating the grass.

Everything is pretty late in bloom, or maybe its just normal since the last several years have been morch. The only things i have seen bloom are the crocuses, star of bethlehem, and witch hazel. Should add some annual weeds are starting to pop, like bittercress, lesser celandine, henbit, and purple deadnettle

Everything is pretty late in bloom, or maybe its just normal since the last several years have been morch. The only things i have seen bloom are the crocuses, star of bethlehem, and witch hazel 

No daffs yet?  I'm guessing the last time they didn't bloom until April was 2009.

This year that's for the best, looks like some freezes next week.  Shocking that it might actually freeze as late as normal.

Yea i know but even when we had those morches the past 2 or so years, we had those freak frost and freeze events. I remember last year its was like april 24-25 and we had frost on the course. I remember it was a rush to mow greens because the golfers tee off at like 7:20 am and there was frost everywhere.

In Monmouth County, the crocus bulbs are popping out of the ground but have not bloomed yet. Everything essentially looks like mid winter except for some red buds on the junipers/cedars and some patchy greening of lawns. For the most part lawns are brown, which is an exceptional reversal from last March which featured the first cut by this time. Normally we green-up by the beginning of April and first cut is sometime 2nd week of April.

Forsythias, magnolias have yet to pop. Cherries are in the initial stages of the buds greening. Last year they were about to bloom now, as were the bradford pears.

Overall, it looks to me like we're maybe slightly behind schedule. Usually crocuses are bloomed by Mar 20. It's just an amazing change from the last 3 years which were extraordinarily early, with mid/late March blooming/greening.

Given the current and forecasted weather pattern, leaf-out should be closer to normal this year, probably not until late April or early May.

In Monmouth County, the crocus bulbs are popping out of the ground but have not bloomed yet. Everything essentially looks like mid winter except for some red buds on the junipers/cedars and some patchy greening of lawns. For the most part lawns are brown, which is an exceptional reversal from last March which featured the first cut by this time. Normally we green-up by the beginning of April and first cut is sometime 2nd week of April.

Forsythias, magnolias have yet to pop. Cherries are in the initial stages of the buds greening. Last year they were about to bloom now, as were the bradford pears.

Overall, it looks to me like we're maybe slightly behind schedule. Usually crocuses are bloomed by Mar 20. It's just an amazing change from the last 3 years which were extraordinarily early, with mid/late March blooming/greening.

Given the current and forecasted weather pattern, leaf-out should be closer to normal this year, probably not until late April or early May.

Good thing its normally a little earlier than that in Mercer... damn well better be leafed out by early May.

im not sure about earthworks, but i know milorganite is temperature dependent.

You are correct. I just stated that it wouldn't be a waste since the product would be sitting at the soil layer ready for release when everything gets going.

LM wanted something safe for the dogs, nothing it safer than milorganite.

http://milorganite.com/FAQ#1

"Milorganite is not toxic if eaten and your dog is not facing a “life threatening” crisis that requires medical care or emergency stomach pumping.

How much discomfort your dog has will depend on how much Milorganite was consumed. Dogs that eat a small amount of Milorganite do not show signs of discomfort. More than a normal food bowl will typically cause gastroenteritis because the Milorganite pellets are coarse, hard and highly abrasive. The abrasion causes inflammation of the stomach and intestinal lining. Eating too much Milorganite can induce vomiting, which can lead to dehydration, incontinence (stiffness in the hind legs), atrophy, depression and black stools.

To alleviate discomfort, provide liquids, a bland diet, and contact your local veterinarian for instructions on how to manage gastrointestinal irritation. Some may suggest that the high iron in Milorganite is life threatening, however this is not accurate. The iron in Milorganite is not soluble and is not available for absorption in the mucosal cells of the small intestine. Milorganite pellets pass through a dog’s digestive system causing potential discomfort, but without being absorbed.

If you have further questions, please call (800) 304-6204."

Archived