joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Lawn/Garden/golf thread

tombo82685

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

thanks. I've never seen nor heard anything like that. Not sure if they exist down in Virginia.

It's native to North America. Deer won't eat it. It's not a weed. It'll die back by mid-summer. 

Tombo,  They did aerate the greens at Ramblewood recently...  Nothing like Mount Laurel. A couple of their bunkers still had water in them...

Yea this is the time of year they do it, though, surprising they waited this late. Sounds like they definitely have some drainage issues in there bunkers.

I guess this is kind of a Lawn and Garden question...I want to buy my husband a gas grill as a "baby shower" gift. My knowledge of grills is limited basically just knowing they heat up and cook my food. Came across one on Sears website that is in my price range (really hoping to keep it under $250). I welcome any recommendations y'all might have. http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_07123680000P

I guess this is kind of a Lawn and Garden question...I want to buy my husband a gas grill as a "baby shower" gift. My knowledge of grills is limited basically just knowing they heat up and cook my food. Came across one on Sears website that is in my price range (really hoping to keep it under $250). I welcome any recommendations y'all might have. http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_07123680000P

Since I see you live in the area, you might try this place http://www.queenappliance.com/

out on rte 113.

They sell new stuff that might have 'dings'.   I've found that cheaper grills tend to fall apart and rust out.  Apparently food grease is pretty caustic.

That place has higher end grills at reduced prices due to minor damage.   Had my truck exhaust work done next door and they seemed to have a

decent selection that weren't too expensive when I took a peek.

Cool thanks! I'll have to check them out. 

Since I see you live in the area, you might try this place http://www.queenappliance.com/

out on rte 113.

They sell new stuff that might have 'dings'.   I've found that cheaper grills tend to fall apart and rust out.  Apparently food grease is pretty caustic.

That place has higher end grills at reduced prices due to minor damage.   Had my truck exhaust work done next door and they seemed to have a

decent selection that weren't too expensive when I took a peek.

I haven't had time to look at run after run of any model lately, so I don't have the context, but I looked at the 12z GFS today, and it looks like we will have some cool shots (for April) over the next few weeks. I was going to start a veggie garden project with my daughter this weekend, should we hold off on planting, or are we out of the woods wrt frost/freezing? I did see that the NOAA/NWS "kicked off" the growing season this past Monday, but I thought I'd check with you guys/gals...

I haven't had time to look at run after run of any model lately, so I don't have the context, but I looked at the 12z GFS today, and it looks like we will have some cool shots (for April) over the next few weeks. I was going to start a veggie garden project with my daughter this weekend, should we hold off on planting, or are we out of the woods wrt frost/freezing? I did see that the NOAA/NWS "kicked off" the growing season this past Monday, but I thought I'd check with you guys/gals...

I'd wait, especially if its tomatoes, peppers or eggplants. Lettuce, peas, etc would be ok.  The former really dont do much until night time temps stay above 50. I dont plant them til early May.

wow all these courses are late, must be a personnel thing with public courses.

Yeah its pretty much done this time of the year, its not later this year because of the March we had. Its likely the reason full in season rates dont start for most courses here til May.  I came within two feet of a hole in one at the 179 yard par 3 yesterday.  Its a nice hole (beside the shot), you have a lake (ok pond) with a beach on it to the right off an elevated tee box with a view of the new hotel they built there last decade.  I peaked too early this golfing season, its all downhill from here....

I'd wait, especially if its tomatoes, peppers or eggplants. Lettuce, peas, etc would be ok.  The former really dont do much until night time temps stay above 50. I dont plant them til early May.

Thanks Tony...Do you think it's OK to start from seed at that time, or would we be better served getting some plants from a garden center? We weren't organized enough to do seedlings this time (she's 4, and her younger brother would have certainly destroyed anything we would have started anyway), so those are my two options. We are starting small this year with one 4x4' raised bed, and we'll go from there...

Yeah its pretty much done this time of the year, its not later this year because of the March we had. Its likely the reason full in season rates dont start for most courses here til May.  I came within two feet of a hole in one at the 179 yard par 3 yesterday.  Its a nice hole (beside the shot), you have a lake (ok pond) with a beach on it to the right off an elevated tee box with a view of the new hotel they built there last decade.  I peaked too early this golfing season, its all downhill from here....

I think it also has to do with that its a public course. Here we had everything aerated before late march. Members pay top dollar to belong here and they don't want to fit aeration cores and machines when they are golfing. Also, our season begins the first weekend of april. Btw, nice picture. Looks like a cherry.

Trees overall still pretty bare looking in Monmouth County. Flowering trees still all full bloom, with the exception of the kwanzan cherries, which probably will be out in 1 week (near normal). Forysthias still peak.

Maples have red buds and there are a couple species with green buds out. Oaks are starting to bud, but overall, at least 2 weeks from leaf out. Looks about normal this year. April temps have been near to slightly above normal after a chilly March. Usually the first week of May is the major leaf out time frame here.

In the PHL area, by contrast, most trees are light green/hvy budding, and likely at least 1 week ahead of Monmouth. This extends nwd to about Hightstown, so Ray's parents' area is probably pretty heavily budded, on track for a leaf out in the next 10-14 days.

Trees overall still pretty bare looking in Monmouth County. Flowering trees still all full bloom, with the exception of the kwanzan cherries, which probably will be out in 1 week (near normal). Forysthias still peak.

Maples have red buds and there are a couple species with green buds out. Oaks are starting to bud, but overall, at least 2 weeks from leaf out. Looks about normal this year. April temps have been near to slightly above normal after a chilly March. Usually the first week of May is the major leaf out time frame here.

In the PHL area, by contrast, most trees are light green/hvy budding, and likely at least 1 week ahead of Monmouth. This extends nwd to about Hightstown, so Ray's parents' area is probably pretty heavily budded, on track for a leaf out in the next 10-14 days.

Saw a few random pics from back there on FB, they're making decent progress.  Should be decently green when I arrive in 2 weeks. 

Thanks Tony...Do you think it's OK to start from seed at that time, or would we be better served getting some plants from a garden center? We weren't organized enough to do seedlings this time (she's 4, and her younger brother would have certainly destroyed anything we would have started anyway), so those are my two options. We are starting small this year with one 4x4' raised bed, and we'll go from there...

Sorry, I didnt see this til today. At this point I'd go with a garden center.  Starting them from seed it will probably take you 4 to 6 weeks before you can plant them.  I went from starting from seed to just buying the plants outright from Burpees (maybe its not too late, they sell them in 3 packs). The garden center vegetables are not necessarily disease resistant. 

Archived