• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
March 2013 General Discussion Part 2

SchaumburgStormer

Lots of low 50s this afternoon around SeMI. What a beautiful day it was with gleaming sun and the brilliant blue sky. Loving the next couple of projected days to close out March. For the most part it was a run of the mill lousy March around these parts. Chilly and gray for the norm... Yawn.

• Replies 453
  • Created
  • Last Reply

46/23 at LAF today. -11º departure for the day. But it was a pretty nice negative double digit day.  

10 out of the 11 past days have had a negative daily double digit departure at LAF. Snow pack FTW I guess this week.

March average temperature at 32.4º through today. 

Only sun protected grassy spots have snow remaining. Very patchy. I'll have to get my fix with the plowed piles now. :D

Today actually felt like spring...first time this month...  Tons of spring fever out there...tomorrow is going to be nuts.  I bet chicks will be half naked down on campus...running around topless..frolicking i bet...  

Yep.  Sunny, light wind, and 50 degrees was great.  The birds were singing today and the last of the remaining snow is fading away.

I've seen a ton of robins the past few days, and have noticed a lot of geese (especially last night..they were honking like crazy over the house)...i suppose with the river opening up they must be moving north.   Still no barges moving around here...they say next week.   The Mississippi at Riverside park today was wide open.   River will be on the rise quickly the next week.  Nephew says he's going ice fishing all day tomorrow...brother of mine is walleye fishing on the Fox River today/tomorrow...around Green Bay i think. 

No matter what, its going to be a very short spring, before we jump into summer...already April ...4th of July is right around the corner!

Lot of Robins, Red-winged blackbirds, and Canada Geese here. Spring is definitely here now, even though it's on the chilly side still. 

Some patches of frozen ground still around with snow on top. Few remnant drifts around still. Was peeling off 2" thick slabs of ice off my patio today - trying to clean that off. 

Probably looking at a good week yet before the grass greens. This time last year, was about the first time I mowed it! lol

I've seen a ton of robins the past few days, and have noticed a lot of geese (especially last night..they were honking like crazy over the house)...i suppose with the river opening up they must be moving north.   Still no barges moving around here...they say next week.   The Mississippi at Riverside park today was wide open.   River will be on the rise quickly the next week.  Nephew says he's going ice fishing all day tomorrow...brother of mine is walleye fishing on the Fox River today/tomorrow...around Green Bay i think. 

No matter what, its going to be a very short spring, before we jump into summer...already April ...4th of July is right around the corner!

No birds here yet. Did see 4 (not sure the type) a few days ago... their singing caught my attention, but I guess they were just passing thru.  Still only crows and some woodpeckers.  Robins definitely haven't returned, and neither have the song birds in general yet. Talked to a cousin in Muskegon and she said robins arrived about 2 weeks ago, but a lot less snow cover down that way.

Even with the upper 30's to around 40 here the past couple days, it hasn't had any real effect on the lakes.... ice is well over a foot and they're still covered in deep snow.

The thaw during the day and freeze at nights has actually made the snowpack more bullet-like and durable against melting.  I was out a few minutes ago looking at the moon, and in the valley here, temp has dropped to 24 already and I walked on top of the snow and didn't sink any.... still 15-17" I'd say, although a lot less I noticed up in Charleviox right on the coast.

Warmer weather and rain this weekend will help with the melting, and Sun night-Tue lake effect will be nothing but nuisance type and stat padding snow since no matter how heavy, it wont stick around like the seasonal long snow is right now.

Farm fields around here that had lots of standing water in them the last few weeks have really dried up this week.  The yard also seems a lot more dry now.  Shouldn't be too long before the grass starts to green up.  I'll probably be changing the oil in the mower this weekend or sometime next week.  This time last year you could smell freshly cut grass as soon as you walked outside.  Always a nice thing after coming out of a long winter.

Farm fields around here that had lots of standing water in them the last few weeks have really dried up this week.  The yard also seems a lot more dry now.  Shouldn't be too long before the grass starts to green up.  I'll probably be changing the oil in the mower this weekend or sometime next week.  This time last year you could smell freshly cut grass as soon as you walked outside.  Always a nice thing after coming out of a long winter.

Definitely. Another thing that will be coming soon where water is standing, will be the croaking of frogs. Love hearing that sound during spring evenings.

Cooling off a bit more than last night, at 27° now.

Mall/shopping center piles should be good for awhile here I'd think. I'll be checking on their progress. 

Sad day though, as our remaining snow cover on the grass will be toast today. But such is life in late March. A great March here...I'll remember it fondly. :)

Mall piles here are literally black though. You would think they were giant mounds of dirt if you were any distance away from them, if not for the stream of water running from them. Old snow though, so expected, yours is probably more new snow. Neighbor and I still have a small snow piles, should be gone this weekend. March here was nothing special at all.

Up to 47° here. Going to be cutting 50° close with the lake breeze starting to blow into lake front areas.

Edit: Just looking at lake temperatures - Lake Erie running the coldest it has been in the last 5 years.

avgtemps-e.gif

Snow almost seems impervious to the sun here.  decided to measure in my front yard to get the depth.  It's 19" still.  I was thinking less.  Took two pics to prove I wasn't slant sticking a drift :P

Did see a red-winged blk bird this morning along with a few doves. It was a welcome site!

Sunny and upper 30's feel wonderful!

Up to 47° here. Going to be cutting 50° close with the lake breeze starting to blow into lake front areas.

Edit: Just looking at lake temperatures - Lake Erie running the coldest it has been in the last 5 years.

avgtemps-e.gif

It's going to be a miserable spring here with the lake breezes. The contrast to 2012 is wild.

Not sure we made it here yet...  NWS was showing 48F last I looked and thick clouds have moved in very quickly after about 2;30...  Got the garage cleaned out (sprayed it all out)...spring in the air...showing maybe some sprinkles now this afternoon...i see the winds have shifted out of the southwest...

last time we were 50F or above was Dec 3rd!

Archived