amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
March 18-20 Storm Discussion

Zelocita Weather

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

EURO/GGEM/RGEM Looks good from 2-4"+ on the front end of the storm with a slight cold trend in place over the past couple of runs....lets see if that can continue.

if the precip starts after dark there is a chance of accumulation away from the coast - if it starts during the day accumulation  chances lessen considerably especially in NYC and immediate suburbs near the coast

if the precip starts after dark there is a chance of accumulation away from the coast - if it starts during the day accumulation chances lessen considerably especially in NYC and immediate suburbs near the coast

If temps are cold it will stick.

I'm sticking in the middle of day time heating right now in Queens with only light to moderate snow.

if the precip starts after dark there is a chance of accumulation away from the coast - if it starts during the day accumulation  chances lessen considerably especially in NYC and immediate suburbs near the coast

But most of this snow is being wasted. I had HEAVY snow, and it didn't stick one bit. Even on colder surfaces. Some places are reporting dustings/coatings. That's it. We would be getting a couple inches right now if it was night. Today's event shows the importance of getting events at night this time of year. So I agree that we need Monday's event to come in as late as possible.

Meant this post for ag3.

But most of this snow is being wasted. I had HEAVY snow, and it didn't stick one bit. Even on colder surfaces. Some places are reporting dustings/coatings. That's it. We would be getting a couple inches right now if it was night. Today's event shows the importance of getting events at night this time of year. So I agree that we need Monday's event to come in as late as possible.

Meant this post for ag3.

Most had light to moderate snow for this event...and it only lasted a couple hours. But I somewhat agree, it would have been an inch in January.

Meant this post for ag3.

I think consensus for the front end thump is monday night/early tuesday morning on everything except the GGEM/RGEM(extrapolated) which is monday afternoon/evening, but the GGEM/RGEM(extrapolated) is cold enough to stick even in the afternooon.

-skisheep

I think consensus for the front end thump is monday night/early tuesday morning on everything except the GGEM/RGEM(extrapolated) which is monday afternoon/evening, but the GGEM/RGEM(extrapolated) is cold enough to stick even in the afternooon.

-skisheep

You should be more specific about which part of the metro you are talking about - this is why just one forum for the entire NYC metro is very confusing especially in borderline situations - which around here has been the case during  most of the storms this season

You should be more specific about which part of the metro you are talking about - this is why just one forum for the entire NYC metro is very confusing especially in borderline situations - which around here has been most of the storms this season

Sorry, unless I mention otherwise, I'm talking about Stamford, CT. I think that anywhere outside of the immediate city though there should be no trouble with sticking assuming this shows up like modeled on the EURO.

-skisheep

Meant this post for ag3.

I have more than an inch here and probably closing in on two inches soon.  If it is cold, it will stick. 

I have more than an inch here and probably closing in on two inches soon.  If it is cold, it will stick. 

Warren county? It's a different world in NW Jersey in the higher elevations. I've had moderate to heavy snow here today, and no accumulation at all. I would've had 1 to 2 inches if this happened at night. It's tough for snow to stick during the daytime this time of year, in the lower elevations. Unless you have temps freezing or below.

Upton is going all rain for most areas as of this afternoon's update...

That seems to make little sense, really every model is now an nice event for us, GFS was around 4", EURO 4-6"+, GGEM/RGEM a nice hit as well. Not sure where they are going, but I've noticed that Upton almost always goes very warm, they went warm in the blizzard and in the latest march event, as well as in their daily temps.

-skisheep

That seems to make little sense, really every model is now an nice event for us, GFS was around 4", EURO 4-6"+, GGEM/RGEM a nice hit as well. Not sure where they are going, but I've noticed that Upton almost always goes very warm, they went warm in the blizzard and in the latest march event, as well as in their daily temps.

-skisheep

You can't assume 10-1 ratios with a marginal snow setup that will take time most likely to start accumulating and will compress/melt fast.

-skisheep

well Mount Holly is going for all rain in Somerset County NJ which is well inland

http://kamala.cod.edu/nj/latest.fpus51.KPHI.html

-skisheep

They are even going for mostly rain up this way..

Upton also had a mix of rain/snow for today in Dobbs Ferry, even though we saw 100% snow. Their high temperature was 2F too warm with a projected maximum of 40F versus an actual maximum of 37.7F. They tend to have a warm bias. 

I do think that NYC will have a tough time accumulating on a SW flow event this late in the season. There is a 1028mb high directly to the north, however, and the antecedent airmass has 850s of around -9C, so that's encouraging. I'd tend to lean 1-3" for NYC (maybe just a coating down by JFK) with 2-4" for the immediate suburbs and 3-6" up towards Orange and Putnam Counties...thinking 2-4" here in Dobbs Ferry but haven't looked closely yet.

The airmass behind this storm looks incredibly impressive as well...18z GFS has -12C 850s over NYC at 96 hours with a small area of -15C over the Ohio Valley stretching down to Indianapolis. My averages are 52/31 by March 20th, and I don't see anyone getting above 40F with the CAA behind the system. Lows should be well into the 20s, and even teens, for areas to the northwest that retain sufficient snow cover to radiate well as the high pressure pushes in.

Overall, setting up for a very exciting and impressive end to March. 

Upton also had a mix of rain/snow for today in Dobbs Ferry, even though we saw 100% snow. Their high temperature was 2F too warm with a projected maximum of 40F versus an actual maximum of 37.7F. They tend to have a warm bias. 

I do think that NYC will have a tough time accumulating on a SW flow event this late in the season. There is a 1028mb high directly to the north, however, and the antecedent airmass has 850s of around -9C, so that's encouraging. I'd tend to lean 1-3" for NYC (maybe just a coating down by JFK) with 2-4" for the immediate suburbs and 3-6" up towards Orange and Putnam Counties...thinking 2-4" here in Dobbs Ferry but haven't looked closely yet.

2-4" seems like a reasonable first call, I think there's a decent chance that you hit the high range of that(potentially higher), but there are quite a few caution flags, so it's going to have to look good inside of 36 or so to go higher than 3-5" or so.

I've noticed that Upton runs warm, I tend to subtract 2-3 F from what they're thinking for a temp, they have the low here monday night as 33, I'd bet it will verify 29-30 or so.

-skisheep

The 00z rgem is an absolute wintry mess. It gives several hours of snow before it changes over to an icy mix at the last frame. Would most likely have changed to rain most likely in an hour or two after the last frame.

Does it look better than previous runs?

-skisheep

Archived