Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA - March 2013

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't speak for the eastern areas, but for SWPA / Ridges the 00z GFS is about 30-40 miles south with the northern extent of the heavier precip vs 18z (Essentially cuts some folks qpf in half). Storm seems to be a bit slower as well. The tight gradient exaggerates even the tiniest shift. Barring this being the start of an adjustment South I see no reason the next run couldn't bump north again.

Oh, I agree....absolutely could bump either way, and everyone does well.

You bring up another good point though. Storm is slower, and that is why we are seeing that .5 line edging through PA a bit, but the only real reason for that IMO, is due to the storm hanging around a lot longer.

I can't speak for the eastern areas, but for SWPA / Ridges the 00z GFS is about 30-40 miles south with the northern extent of the heavier precip vs 18z (Essentially cuts some folks qpf in half). Storm seems to be a bit slower as well. The tight gradient exaggerates even the tiniest shift. Barring this being the start of an adjustment South I see no reason the next run couldn't bump north again.

Yep. Went from .5 to .25

models have trended north all day...even the EURO what is your problem? why did NWS put a WSW for our area up? go to bed.

Pittsburgh will see more during overnight hours than we will out this way.  There is more of a trend to slower arrival than a trend north plus 0z GFS has not trended north.  The precip if it continues to trend slower will not arrive here until closer to sunrise.  If we have rates of 2"/6 hours like the 0z GFS QPF indicates yea there is reason to be concerned.  Heavier rates along the lines of NAM and SREFs will be less of an issue obviously.  Yes we have the WSW but there is no guarantee it will ever become warning. 

It honestly doesn't matter when the precip is falling...looking at the GFS verbatim, many are looking at those blues and greens and are saying "wow..that's going to be a good 3-6 inch event" but whn you break it down, and see that for most of the storm, any area north of york is in fairly light precip, but for an 18-24 hour period, you have to take that into consideration.

If we get light snow at night with temps in the upper 20s, it will accumulate up here. Once you have a base down, the snow will continue to accumulate.

Seen it enough. Some examples include March 16 and March 18, 2004 - we had temps in the 30s and had light to moderate snow, and it accumulated because it started overnight. Both cases we got around 4-5. Looking at the AccuWeather Pro F-6 data, the rates were even around 10-1.

It honestly doesn't matter when the precip is falling...looking at the GFS verbatim, many are looking at those blues and greens and are saying "wow..that's going to be a good 3-6 inch event" but whn you break it down, and see that for most of the storm, any area north of york is in fairly light precip, but for an 18-24 hour period, you have to take that into consideration.

I understand what you are saying. I believe Pittsburgh having those problems just because it starts earlier for you. The biggest thing is to watch temperatures and cloud cover. I am not worried because it will be in the 20s here and at night. Plus we have a snow pack.

If we get light snow at night with temps in the upper 20s, it will accumulate up here. Once you have a base down, the snow will continue to accumulate.

Seen it enough. Some examples include March 16 and March 18, 2004 - we had temps in the 30s and had light to moderate snow, and it accumulated because it started overnight. Both cases we got around 4-5. Looking at the AccuWeather Pro F-6 data, the rates were even around 10-1.

No, I believe you on that. It just comes down to the fact of how light will it be? You probably need to get down a decent base of an inch or two to keep accumulating after the initial heavier burst the GFS is showing.

I'm just not sure if the GFS really supports that for anyone outside of the border counties.

Good luck though.

I understand what you are saying. I believe Pittsburgh having those problems just because it starts earlier for you. The biggest thing is to watch temperatures and cloud cover. I am not worried because it will be in the 20s here and at night. Plus we have a snow pack.

One thing then you should be concerned about is the fact that the storm is now starting later, pushing the heaviest precip closer to dawn as well.

Temps tomorrow are forecast to hit 42-44, that can't help for quick accumulation at first.

Sunshine will push it higher than that before the clouds move in... its so dry we could have a high in the mid to upper 40s and it fall enough as the precip starts... just might lose some of the initial if too light to evaporation

I'm eager to see your map! But alas I gotta get to sleep, no euro watching for me. It'll just be bad news anyway ...

Haha yea that thing isn't going anywhere beyond my powerpoint until I see what the Euro does, especially with the GFS backing off on QPF in southern PA. I also want to see if the GEFS mean remains wetter than the op.  I will tell you that Harrisburg is right near my 6" line attm. 

Haha yea that thing isn't going anywhere beyond my powerpoint until I see what the Euro does, especially with the GFS backing off on QPF in southern PA. I also want to see if the GEFS mean remains wetter than the op.  I will tell you that Harrisburg is right near my 6" line attm. 

GEFS mean is back to looking like the 12z GEFS mean. The 18z was a wet outlier.

Archived